The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stevens or Pronger then

Del Rio

I'm a bit too young...although I knew what hockey was and watched the occasional game once a year maybe, I only really remember hockey from 2001-02 onwards, and he'd just retired.

Okay, I'm not too young, being over 30, but in terms of my hockey lifetime, I'm only 12 years old :towel:

:D

You missed out. Bourque was a treat to watch.

He goes on my top 3 all time with Lidstrom and Orr.

I used to look for bootlegs of old Bruins games just to watch Orr.

I came into hockey late due to being British, the sport has zero coverage here. I think I got back into it by buying NHL 2001 on the cheap, then remembering how cool Blades of Steel was. And it went on from there. First game I properly remember watching was the game where the Wings beat the Canes in the SCF in '02, and it went to 3OTs I think. What magic, and not even watching the Nucks!

I love watching old clips of Paul Coffey, that guy would be worth $12m a season if he played now.

So what?

Stevens made the Washington Capitals look good.

I find it hilarious when people say Stevens is a defensive defensemen, when Pronger only has a slightly better point per game average than Stevens (.04 to be exact).

I was about to argue that Stevens put up points in the mid-80s whereas Pronger had to deal with the dead puck era.

Then I looked at Stevens' stats in 93-94:

18 Goals, 60 Assists, +53, 112 PIMS, all while playing for the 'high flying' New Jersey Devils. That's pretty impressive.

I like Stevens but I don't think a lot of the hits he used to make would be viable in today's "new" NHL. Pronger was certainly a vicious and dirty player but the epic knockout hits were more of Stevens trademark and the League frowns on that now.

For that reason if we are talking in this day and age...I will go with Pronger.

I came into hockey late due to being British, the sport has zero coverage here. I think I got back into it by buying NHL 2001 on the cheap, then remembering how cool Blades of Steel was. And it went on from there. First game I properly remember watching was the game where the Wings beat the Canes in the SCF in '02, and it went to 3OTs I think. What magic, and not even watching the Nucks!

I love watching old clips of Paul Coffey, that guy would be worth $12m a season if he played now.

I swear I remember seeing hockey hilights on the BBC. "Pavel Bure explodes passed Steve Duchene" except she pronounced it as "Payvil Burr explodes passed Steve Doucheiny"

Should have done a poll but anyways I would choose Pronger. Guy was 6'6 220+ pounds just railing you into the boards, open ice and tossing you like a ragdoll. He also had an extremely hard shot offensively, he was just bigger, tougher, and getting sandwiched between solid glass and 220+ is bone breaking.

Archived