The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Can We Do (Fans)?

Aladeen

During the recent struggles of our team I have seen countless articles, threads, posts, status updates etc. on all the things that the Canuck's Organization need to do to improve.

What Ownership should do.

What Management should do.

What the Coaches should do.

What the players should do.

I have not seen one sentence written about what we as fans should do.

Now if players are to be believed they often speak (during interviews) about wanting to do it for the fans. Wanting to win and succeed because of the support they feel the fans have given them.

So this thread is about what you think we as fans can do to help this team.

Now some may say that we can coerce change with our dollars. Meaning that if we collectively decide to withdraw financial support for this team, that the ownership will be forced to enact change.

So we can stop buying tickets, schwag, concessions etc. Or even stop buying from corporate sponsors and take our business to their competitors.

Now this will most likely force the ownerships hand and force them to make changes. However is that what is best for our Team? Is that what is best for this organization's future chances at being competitive?

If your answer is yes then I encourage you to follow your instinct and do just that, however I propose an alternative.

I propose we start being the fans we all would like to think we are. The die hard fans who's energy and desire for success of this team infects the organization.

Watching the game in Winnipeg recently made me realize what this team is truly lacking, what this team could never acquire through a trade or a draft. That is an arena that is deafening in its support for its home team.

I think a big part of that Jet's win was the energy and support they got from the crowd.

Now obviously it is easy to be a supportive fan when your team is leading the league and all the players are firing on all cylinders, but I think the true measure of a fan is how they respond when their team is down. When their team is not living up to its abilities.

I think we all know this team is capable of more. So as fans lets focus our efforts on the only thing we can control and that is giving this team a reason to succeed.

Start wearing your jersey with pride. If you go to the games start cheering louder than you ever have before.

Let's start being the fans that make a difference. The fans that give that extra bit of energy when it seems like the tank is empty.

Let's start focusing on the things we can control.

Thanks for reading

Keep cheering on the team regardless?

Like I'm highly critical of the team at this time too don't get me wrong, but regardless I'm a Canuck supporter

Is it frustrating? Hell yes. But hey, they are worse things than a sports team I cheer for losing. Not really anything practical I can do about that

Nothing fans can really do other than lower expectations and be patient. The team spends to the cap limit each year, so it's not like ownership is in it just to maximize profits.

Everyone from the fans to players to management wants the team to succeed. It's just a very rough patch right now. Sports is not the be all and end all in the big picture.

"The solar system is so humongous big, right? But if you see our solar system and our galaxy on the side it is so small. You can't even see it. Our galaxy is so huge, but you see the big picture our galaxy is small, tiny, like a dot in the universe. And we think like, and we have problems here on the Earth that we worry about, compared to like...nothing! Just be happy. Don't worry, be happy right now." - Bryz

It would be nice if the team actually had "home ice advantage" with the fans. When you watch a lot of teams at home play there stadium is crazy loud and the home teams start with a huge spike of energy, leaving the away team to "weather the storm"

At Rogers Arena there is no "Storm" for any team to have to play through. Look at CHI, WIN, BOS, those places give their team a huge amount of energy from the crowd, after a big hit, block, scoring chance, and especially a goal. The team feeds off that energy and plays better and more energized.

Canucks have about as much life in them as Rogers Arena does

Not much we can do but support and cheer for them no matter what! Sadly since tickets are to expensive all the players see/hear are suits people who don't like the sport! If the canucks want better in arena support from their actual fans then they need to lower ticket prices! Till then I guess we just have to be the silent but true fans!

During the recent struggles of our team I have seen countless articles, threads, posts, status updates etc. on all the things that the Canuck's Organization need to do to improve.

What Ownership should do.

What Management should do.

What the Coaches should do.

What the players should do.

I have not seen one sentence written about what we as fans should do.

Now if players are to be believed they often speak (during interviews) about wanting to do it for the fans. Wanting to win and succeed because of the support they feel the fans have given them.

So this thread is about what you think we as fans can do to help this team.

Now some may say that we can coerce change with our dollars. Meaning that if we collectively decide to withdraw financial support for this team, that the ownership will be forced to enact change.

So we can stop buying tickets, schwag, concessions etc. Or even stop buying from corporate sponsors and take our business to their competitors.

Now this will most likely force the ownerships hand and force them to make changes. However is that what is best for our Team? Is that what is best for this organization's future chances at being competitive?

If your answer is yes then I encourage you to follow your instinct and do just that, however I propose an alternative.

I propose we start being the fans we all would like to think we are. The die hard fans who's energy and desire for success of this team infects the organization.

Watching the game in Winnipeg recently made me realize what this team is truly lacking, what this team could never acquire through a trade or a draft. That is an arena that is deafening in its support for its home team.

I think a big part of that Jet's win was the energy and support they got from the crowd.

Now obviously it is easy to be a supportive fan when your team is leading the league and all the players are firing on all cylinders, but I think the true measure of a fan is how they respond when their team is down. When their team is not living up to its abilities.

I think we all know this team is capable of more. So as fans lets focus our efforts on the only thing we can control and that is giving this team a reason to succeed.

Start wearing your jersey with pride. If you go to the games start cheering louder than you ever have before.

Let's start being the fans that make a difference. The fans that give that extra bit of energy when it seems like the tank is empty.

Let's start focusing on the things we can control.

Thanks for reading

I'd start by getting a life. Hockey is just entertainment. Don't worry the sky isn't falling.

I think fans should stop paying ridiculous prices to go to the games. This slumping team needs to know that it is not ok with their performances lately. But as long as you fans keep showing up to the games, then you guys are saying to them it is ok to play like s**t, because we're just going to show up at the game anyway. Well, this is just my two cents.

Just don't support the current ownership. In my opinion, the problems with the Canucks start with ownership. The Aqulini's are not classy people and I don't think they have what it takes to bring in the right managment people in to turn this franchise around and stay out of their way. Francesco Aquilini is a meddlesome, greedy and egotistical man.

The Canucks need their own Paul Allen. i personally would like to see new ownership but of course that isn't happening anytime soon. But it seems to me above all else the Aquilini's are in this for the money and if they start losing bucket loads of money perhaps they will just bail and sell this team to people who not only support this franchise monetarily but also care enough about the city to give back and do whatever it takes to bring the first ever Stanley Cup to this fanbase.

What can we do? ..... How bout have some patience, we can't except to be a cup contending team every year.

All of the leagues elites and/or top teams were complete trash at some point in the last decade:

EG) Chicago, Boston, St.Louis, Tampa, Minnesota, Colorado, Pittsburgh, LA.

We have had probably one of the most successful teams in the league over that span.

We've only missed the playoffs 3 times since the year 2000.

If it means not making the playoffs this year, firing GMMG, drafting in the top 15, developing our prospects for next year, so be it.

SO SUCK IT UP YA 12 YEAR OLDS(why is it always 12 year olds on CDC?), IT WAS GONNA HAPPEN SOMEDAY

What can we do?

Quit watching, quit going.

Send a message. Blind support means you're okay with the losing culture they've bred. That you'll be okay with them becoming the leafs; high ticket prices, flashes of "yeah we're great!" and missing the playoffs in the end. Complete with high ticket prices.

When the golden goose stops laying golden eggs and starts laying other ones... that's when changes will happen. Because what is happening right now is frankly unacceptable.

I'm all for supporting the team, but supporting *LOSING* is not helping the team.

Bite the pillow and take it dry. Try to shut yourself out, disassociate yourself from what is going on around you, what is being done to you. Go to a place where no one can find you and stay there. Become numb. Let go and try to feel nothing. Embrace the darkness and take solace in the fact that this too will pass, and that you will die one day and that you can finally be free from this mortal coil of perpetual failure.

-sincerely, a canucks fan

We have had a competitive team for a very long time. Its now our turn to become mediocre or even a bottom feeder. Back during the last time this happened I cheered for the team but I had expectations of a good save, or our rookies getting better.

Lots of guys on here cheer for Utica, and even our guys still in junior. I am going to start paying more attention to that.

We need to stop expecting the Canucks to be able to win the games. If we hang onto that, we are going to become very frustrated.

Do not attend the next 3 home games or purchase Canuck merchandise that is for the walk up crowd. As for season ticket holders again boycott the games and make it known you are considering not renewing next season. I guarantee you there will be massive changes within the organization immediately.

Been a season ticket holder since the 04 lockout and half seasons previous to that. Have been able to recoup the costs each season but seriously considering cancelling after this season. Have hard a hard time selling tickets this year. Only reason for me to go is take my boys and have them enjoy a live game. I otherwise find the atmosphere lifeless and boring. Luckily I bought Seahawks season tickets last year. Being part of a fan base that actually makes noise and an impact on the game is incredible. 1st class organization compared to the Canucks who don't have a clue how to run or build a team.

Archived