The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sochi Olympics 2014! Official "Olympic Discussion" thread.

PlayStation

Which event are you most looking forward to! (Other than Hockey.)  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 of Canada's 7 medals were won by Quebecois athletes. So glad that Quebec is a part of Canada.

Vice versa. Own the podium poured even more money this Olympics than in 2010.

Listen to how the Dufour-Lapointe sisters speak about how proud they are to represent Canada, I think the old separatist movement is in the minority, as far as athletes are concern.

I don't see them as a Quebec accomplishment. They are Canadians who happen to live in Quebec.

Listen to how the Dufour-Lapointe sisters speak about how proud they are to represent Canada, I think the old separatist movement is in the minority, as far as athletes are concern.

I don't see them as a Quebec accomplishment. They are Canadians who happen to live in Quebec.

As a quebecer I can tell you that the whole sovereignty debate doesn't really interest most of the younger generation. It's more of a baby boomer thing.

Totally. I don't consider them Quebecois, I consider them 100% Canadian. Just pointing out that our olympic success is all pouring out of Quebec and more specifically Montreal.

Kesler and Brown assigned to share room in Sochi.

I'm sure they'll become new best friends. Just like Kes and Kane did back in 2010.

Great day for Canada and for Canadians. Growing up through the 70's and 80's it was always a little disheartening that a country with such a love of winter sports was never able to make much of an impact at the winter olympics. I know a lot of people complain about government money put into the olympic program, but to me it's money well spent. In a country of this size, it's one of the few times we feel close together.

Great day for Canada and for Canadians. Growing up through the 70's and 80's it was always a little disheartening that a country with such a love of winter sports was never able to make much of an impact at the winter olympics. I know a lot of people complain about government money put into the olympic program, but to me it's money well spent. In a country of this size, it's one of the few times we feel close together.

I agree. As someone who is also a child of the 70's and watched my country do little at the Winter Olympics, it's great to see.

The government money makes a huge difference, but there's also the newer events to take into consideration.

Short track speed skating, Moguls, Ski cross, snowboarding, curling, NHLers in the hockey competition....these are all events that Canada does well at.

Back in the 70's and 80's, we had to hope for a Kurt Browning or Brian Orser to come through. On the slopes, we cheered for the Podborskis, Reads and Gartners. As good as they were, they were rarely what you called "favorites".

Now, it would be considered an upset if Jennifer Jones and brad Jacobs don't win Gold and an absolute shock if they failed to medal...

Somebody on TEAM 1040 this morning was talking about Canada's success and Olympic scheduling. Apparently, Canada started slow in 2010 b/c all the events we're good at were scheduled later and we ended up winning 12 medals in 4 of the last 5 days.

In Sochi, a lot of our specialities are scheduled early so our medal production may drop off eventually, and we'll end slow.

Somebody on TEAM 1040 this morning was talking about Canada's success and Olympic scheduling. Apparently, Canada started slow in 2010 b/c all the events we're good at were scheduled later and we ended up winning 12 medals in 4 of the last 5 days.

In Sochi, a lot of our specialities are scheduled early so our medal production may drop off eventually, and we'll end slow.

The schedule was pretty much the same in Vancouver only there were no slope style and figure skating team competitions, so you can remove 2 medals from our current total.

The moguls were the first events in Vancouver as well but we won two medals instead of 4. And in the 1500 m, Charles Hamelin was 7th instead of first. So that's the big difference so far.

As a quebecer I can tell you that the whole sovereignty debate doesn't really interest most of the younger generation. It's more of a baby boomer thing.

I agree. I was living in Montreal during the 94 referendum. That pissed me off so much I refused to learn French. Now I regret not picking the language when there was a chance to learn it well.

The schedule was pretty much the same in Vancouver only there were no slope style and figure skating team competitions, so you can remove 2 medals from our current total.

The moguls were the first events in Vancouver as well but we won two medals instead of 4. And in the 1500 m, Charles Hamelin was 7th instead of first. So that's the big difference so far.

Good to hear.

Alex Bilodeau is retiring to become an accountant. Can't blame him. There is a life after competition and he's on top of the world now.

Alex Bilodeau, you've just won another men's moguls gold medal, what are you going to do next?

After repeating in a Winter Olympics event that just featured two horrific crashes, the 26-year-old Canadian now plans to hang up his skis and concentrate on another thrilling career, according to the Global News: Accounting. Yes, he is retiring to become an accountant. Not exactly Disney World.

While his fellow Olympians are vying for deals with McDonald's, Coca-Cola and a host of other consumer products, Bilodeau already owns a sponsorship deal with accounting giant KPMG, where his father has served as a tax partner in the company's Montreal office. As evident from his promotional materials for the global auditing firm, it doesn't get more exciting than some good ol' fashioned accounting talk.

In between winning the men's moguls at the Vancouver Games in 2010 and repeating in Sochi on Monday, he actually took a year off from 2012 World Cup competition to concentrate on his accounting degree at Concordia University, according to the Calgary Sun. He earned silver in the men's moguls at both the 2011 and 2013 World Championships -- surely distracted by all that abacus work.

Then again, Bilodeau has long been an exceptional Olympian. The Canadian's post-competition celebrations with his brother Frederic, who has cerebral palsy, became a highlight of the 2010 games and were again in Russia. It's hard to imagine that first audit will bring as much excitement.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/canada-s-two-time-moguls-champion-alex-bilodeau-retiring-to-focus-on-his-accounting-career-215152094.html

I'm someone who likes gold the most, and we got some crazy ones in van. Skeleton, snowboard GS, long track team, snowboard and ski cross...

Montgomery, mcivor won't repeat, and Ricker is half injured. That's not to say others are capable of winning. Ski halfpipe could be good, and Canada doubled up on the moguls.

I have high hopes for men's figure skating, both hockey, one curling and another short track or two for gold medals. Just that would be awesome.

Curling on right now. Swiss making all their shots. Jacobs not looking good at all.

Archived