The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sochi Olympics 2014! Official "Olympic Discussion" thread.

PlayStation

Which event are you most looking forward to! (Other than Hockey.)  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was hoping for more speed skating golds. Why do you guys think we aren't winning them like we did in van??

Honestly, speed skating has been a huge disappointment. We should have had at least a few more medals in short-track. Lots of mistakes with slipping and crashing out, I don't know if it is due to poor preparation, bad ice or being unlucky. I think the rest of the world has caught up to Canada, and have improved over the Vancouver games.

I hope that Canada starts getting more medals, as the team has underperformed in my opinion with the last several days being full of poor results from medal hopefuls.

Seemingly missed amid all the excitement over men's hockey...Sweden defeated Finland today in women's hockey and will play the USA in the semis.

Bigger news, Noora Raty let slip to the media that she is likely retiring from hockey (unless she can play in a men's league). Very unfortunate situation many female athletes have to deal with.

Retirement slipped out of my mouth today so here's more clarification from me so people can stop asking #thankyou pic.twitter.com/8ukoRVKBJc

— Noora Räty (@Nooraty41)

February 15, 2014

Honestly, speed skating has been a huge disappointment. We should have had at least a few more medals in short-track. Lots of mistakes with slipping and crashing out, I don't know if it is due to poor preparation, bad ice or being unlucky. I think the rest of the world has caught up to Canada, and have improved over the Vancouver games.

I hope that Canada starts getting more medals, as the team has underperformed in my opinion with the last several days being full of poor results from medal hopefuls.

disappointment, but not because the other countries caught up. short track is totally mistakes twice. Hamelin can still win the 500m though. The ladies were not top dogs to start, those belong to china and korea.

as for long track, Netherlander owns everyone. The men actually improved, won individual medal twice by Morrison, and they have a shot still at team pursuit.

I think other than that, the female long track got worse in that the skaters are older, and no young gunners can replace them now. But they had a good run from Le May doan, Cindy Klassen, Clara Hughes

disappointment, but not because the other countries caught up. short track is totally mistakes twice. Hamelin can still win the 500m though. The ladies were not top dogs to start, those belong to china and korea.

as for long track, Netherlander owns everyone. The men actually improved, won individual medal twice by Morrison, and they have a shot still at team pursuit.

I think other than that, the female long track got worse in that the skaters are older, and no young gunners can replace them now. But they had a good run from Le May doan, Cindy Klassen, Clara Hughes

Jeremy Wotherspoon was probably a better skater than Morrison. Probably one of the best long track sprinters of all time. But I'm very happy for Morrison and what he's accomplishing right now. I hope he rounds out those medal colours in team pursuit.

good for him, but will be branded as a traitor in korea, him waving that russian flag. lol.

Everyone in Korea knows what happened to him. He is probably being supported and congratulated on the internet. Why would they brand him a traitor?

Jeremy Wotherspoon was probably a better skater than Morrison. Probably one of the best long track sprinters of all time. But I'm very happy for Morrison and what he's accomplishing right now. I hope he rounds out those medal colours in team pursuit.

Everyone in Korea knows what happened to him. He is probably being supported and congratulated on the internet. Why would they brand him a traitor?

Cause Koreans are usually very patriotic. Look ridiculous to the nation when he is waving that russian flag.

Wotherspoon became the symbol of olympic chokes, unfortunately. At least Morrison delivered when it mattered.

Grove's article on skating so far is spot on:

http://olympics.cbc.ca/blogs/author/kristina-groves/article/canada-speed-skaters-fans-olympic-extreme.html

Cause Koreans are usually very patriotic. Look ridiculous to the nation when he is waving that russian flag.

Wotherspoon became the symbol of olympic chokes, unfortunately. At least Morrison delivered when it mattered.

Grove's article on skating so far is spot on:

http://olympics.cbc....c-extreme.html

Looks less ridiculous to the nation than it does to the Korean short track team. Besides, he won several gold medals for South Korea in the past. People appreciate what he did and when he made the switch, they understood what happened and wished him well.

Having seen Ahn get two medals already and the Korean men having only the 500m left to go, it's a sign that the glory days are past. Is it because Korea doesn't have good short track skaters? They're still probably the best in the world. Kristina Groves missed this in her article, but it's crystal clear now to everyone in Korea that the short track men's team is corrupt as hell. Shin Da Woon is supposed to be their best, and he has failed again and again. Not to mention the other skaters who have sucked this Olympics.

Short track isn't like long track because it's not about getting the fastest time. Certain players and certain coaches and certain officials will want to rig the results. And I think that's why you're seeing such a crappy performance from Korea. Look up why Ahn joined Russia and you'll understand. It's just a broken organization giving one of the world's best skaters the shaft. Koreans are obviously pissed, because this is has been a bad olympics for them, and the finger is being pointed right at the organization. Three medals for Korea so far and they've all been women. No coincidence there.

Archived