The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT]Another Loss

Ryan kesler the beast

And they put it all out there and it fell short. So I believe that their focus is shifting a little, that's all. I believe it's a combination of things, as I said. This being (only) part of it.

There are reasons a team that's fully capable and has been on top starts to seriously derail. So, unlike you who just packs it in I, along with some others, discuss why that may be. Because none of us HAVE the answers...see, I'm just trying to throw out some ideas that I consider. You think you have it figured out...newsflash, none of us do.

You may be right but I hope not. What you describe is a very mentally fragile core of players. Of course, it would explain their downward spiral since 2011. If you are right, MG or his replacement have to move these guys out as fast as possible. Talk about a locker room cancer!!

Sure. The Canucks won plenty in 2011 and 2012. Sedins had kids then. As did Lou. And Kesler. And Bieksa. And Hamhuis. And others. Now, they're overcome by their responsibilities at home? They're strong men, they can accomplish both. If making oneself a father compromises their ability to perform, then they're not professionals. Does a surgeon get a pass for bungling operations because he has a child at home? I saw Seahawks on the field last week with lots of little kids in tow. They managed to get the job done. How is that possible?

This excuse-making for the Canucks' failures is approaching the truly bizarre.

We might also have to factor in the effect of clouds & rain. Greyish-gloom can certainly cloud up one's outlook...

I Like Gillis, and I don't think he should be canned yet, but I don't think he's followed the plan that got him the job in the first place!

Moneyball was t what he stressed would make an elite team, he has not stuck to that philosophy.

If you wanna see Moneyball applied to Hockey, Chicago has a system the whole NHL should be salivating over, they don't hold onto role player longer than they have use for them. With good drafting, they have the luxury to trade players when their value is high, like after winning the cup, and have young eager players to take their place, thus repeating the cycle. Keep in mind they tanked for a few years got the high draft picks, but Dale Tallon and Stan Bowman have done wonders for that team.

We may need a year or 2 of the late 90's again for the high picks but it could really help this team in the long run, Problem is, can the City and fans of this team handle that kind of reset?

We're not dumping the Sedins, give your heads a shake.

If this team is in fact going to rebuild in the offseason, the Sedins will be part of it. Edler and Luongo will likely be the ones to go.

You need veteran guys to mentor the young players otherwise you end up like the Oilers.

add kesler to your second list.

It isn't "everything" to them anymore in a life goes on way now. Even Burr stated in an interview that things have changed since having a daughter...that he used to go home and go over things from the game in his mind and now he leaves it behind, on the ice.

Not "quit trying"...just not live and die the game anymore. They did that and fell short...just not sure they're as emotionally invested as they were when they had that champion mentality. They take consolation in going home to kids that help forget the pain of losing and you can't fault them for that, but it may be having an impact to some degree. Not just that, but I think it's part of it.

If you're watching Revealed they go back to the hotel and face time their kids. The game ends there.

When you're a young guy on a team that brotherhood of teammates is your family. After the game you're still probably discussing the game and sharing things about the game. Just an idea of why the drive and determination doesn't seem as strong. Hate to say it, because that's what made some of these guys so good, was that this game meant everything. And, honestly, that's the mindset you need to win.

This IS weak Deb.

Do you really think having a family and kids is what the problem is??

The problem is our only high end offensively skilled players are 33 and are beat up, old and have no support to take the heat off.

Sure a family can alter a players life away from the rink, but in many cases it can also provide the stability and inspiration for one to excel. To train, eat better, have clarity and focus. Not be out every night partying with the boys.

Your statement has merits but is also a cop out and every player and team is different.

We're in a slump, were decimated by injury and were still in the playoff hunt. Did you honestly look at our roster at the start of the season and think we were contenders??

Sedins have to be packaged up before it is too late. Sedins weren't fast skaters to begin with, imagine next season and 2 season from now. looks like they will have the speed samuelsson had when he got waived by detroit

I hate this fan-base sometimes. The guys are previous art-ross trophy winners, that took us to the SCF...and you just want to turn on them the moment they go through a rough patch? You do not deserve to have ever watched the sedins - dudes gave up 1.5M each to children's hospital, they've done countless things for this city....by your completely flawed logic..every time something bad happens you should turn away from it and get rid of it.

Dog gets sick? Put it down

GF has a period? Break up with her

Boss has a rough day? Quit your job

Tire goes flat? Sell your car

Freakin' ridiculous.

Canucks are in the sweet spot to do a few things.

• Trade defensive depth and redundant bottom 6 (Edler + Hansen) for a young top 6 prospect(O'Reilly)
  • Completely suck this year drafting a top 5 pick quite possibly top 3 for the first time in 15 years
  • Bo Horvat is ready for the NHL being a +22 with 60 points in the OHL in 40 games surpassing his previous year in 30 less games
  • Have our young D like Corrado and Weber fill in for Edler getting better themselves.
  • Booth gone and the cap going up to find a real UFA that can help

People are creaming we're either Calgary or Edmonton when I see us being The Vancouver Canucks.

I hate this fan-base sometimes. The guys are previous art-ross trophy winners, that took us to the SCF...and you just want to turn on them the moment they go through a rough patch? You do not deserve to have ever watched the sedins - dudes gave up 1.5M each to children's hospital, they've done countless things for this city....by your completely flawed logic..every time something bad happens you should turn away from it and get rid of it.

Freakin' ridiculous.

Very touching but childish argument. This isn't a non=profit society run by volunteers. This is a multi-billion dollar business where these guys are paid more for one game than most Canadians make in a year. The Sedins are great people as are most of the guys on this team but if they are no longer able to perform at the level they are being paid to, its time to move on.

A team doesn't go from a President's trophy winning team to the Oilers in a matter of 2 years.

The coach has gotta get more out of these guys. You don't just trade away the entire team because the coach can't get through to them.

They've shown they can win and be dominant. It's up to the coach to get them back on track and find that consistency again.

I'm hoping that it's just a matter of injuries putting more pressure on our guys and wearing them out because they had to play alot more minutes. The Sedins and Hamhuis were being played way too much early on. They could all use breaks. We'll see after the break who this team really is.

This team was declining even with AV. They won a President's trophy and got owned by LA. It's just as much up to the players to play consistently. Not even AV could do that anymore.

Sedins and Hamhuis played so much because that's the best we have. We don't have players to take those minutes. That's why we need new players on this team. Some of the core has to go. People have to stop being so sentimental with this team and understand that the players regressed.

And they put it all out there and it fell short. So I believe that their focus is shifting a little, that's all. I believe it's a combination of things, as I said. This being (only) part of it.

There are reasons a team that's fully capable and has been on top starts to seriously derail. So, unlike you who just packs it in I, along with some others, discuss why that may be. Because none of us HAVE the answers...see, I'm just trying to throw out some ideas that I consider. You think you have it figured out...newsflash, none of us do.

Where do you people get this stuff? Wanting the organization to make changes for the better is NOT packing it in. If I wanted to pack it in, I wouldn't be here, nor would anyone else. There are times and circumstances where changes can legitimately be done for the betterment of the team. It may not be for the immediate benefit for the team, but there are times when you need to take a step backwards. Plowing forward with the team as it currently is is asking for some long, painful downtime in the near future. We're pretty much on the verge of it. Perform the surgery now and save the patient. Letting the tumor grow is asking for death. At that point, you've run out of options. I'll gladly take a year out of the playoffs to help insure we don't have to go through 8 years of what the Flames are going though. It doesn't have to get to that here. But everyday Gillis sits on his hands, things are getting worse and worse. I'll trust that you can see that.

Suggested buying out Daniel yesterday, & took an internet-trashing for it! :^)

If he's injured, well ok.. but WHY go to Sochi then?

Sorry, but I wanted the twins to re-sign around 5 mill each..VERY concerned the next four seasons to have them locked in at 14 mill... GREAT gentlemen, & respect them lots, but for FOURTEEN mill-good Lord, they'd best get back to where they were(on-ice play).

Actually, yes re-sign the twins at a reasonable cap hit that averages less than what they make now, but make them our second line. Build a killer top line for the twins to support and then enjoy the show...

http://forum.canucks.../#entry11664880

Very touching but childish argument. This isn't a non=profit society run by volunteers. This is a multi-billion dollar business where these guys are paid more for one game than most Canadians make in a year. The Sedins are great people as are most of the guys on this team but if they are no longer able to perform at the level they are being paid to, its time to move on.

PRECISELY. I'd stipulated IF Daniel keeps slumping(ala Burr/Booth), we should buy him out-so folks laid the boos to my post(then locked it!)..Can't believe fans would accept 14 mill of our cap, all gobbled up-IF we go into next season with the twins still playing at this current level. We rushed these signings, on the basis of a STRONG OCTOBER PERFORMANCE!

Freakin' ridiculous.

I love the Sedins and have defended them for years, back when they were scrapping for ice time behind the WCE and moving to Calgary, where they get no respect. My problem is even healthy the league allows others teams to ride them, and their cycle has dried up. I think Henrick will always be a great center, but Danny is lost out there. If we could trade one I would actually make the move, they a pair however, so moving them would be a mistake.

Archived