The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

He's the 2nd leading scorer on an SSM team that finished ahead of the Knights and Otters in the standings. He's one of those guys that brings the offense instead of benefiting from having a top draft pick to work with (Ehlers). I mean really in terms of forwards on the SSM, it's just him and undrafted, undersized Tolchinsky. He's carrying a very strong team on his back.

Add to all this his repertoire of being a two way forward and you see why he's so highly touted. Plus he'll fight and stick up for teammates while Ehlers would most likey turtle (we have enough of those). Even if you think McCann is redundant with what we have in Horvat and Gaunce, I would rather have young guys that straight outwork the competition (think Colorado this year) than have top end talent that doesn't contribute beyond the scoreboard (Oilers of the last 4 years). It's a pretty clear cut choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cEOl38gHOE

Well, you've got it covered.. B)

+1

Like Ossi said, Ehlers may have had a 100 point season, but the QMJHL sees much more goals than the OHL or WHL.

Ehlers was also 2nd on his team in scoring as he played with a future superstar. If you take Drouin off the team, it's unlikely Ehlers has the same production.

McCann is just great all around. He's physical, he plays 2 way hockey, and he's got a great shot. A comparable would probably be Zach Parise.

Ok enlighten me...

I can only read about junior hockey, no time to watch it

he is not that big 6'0, he is about a point a game in the OHL when ehlers is almost 2ppg and yes I know it is QMJHL but still, ehler's numbers are comparable to Drouin's the year he got draft - still over a hundred points, although drouin did it in like 12 fewer games.

what is so great about him? let me guess - a strong two way player,a 200 foot games just like guys we already have - cassels, horvat, gaunce

Point a game in the OHL.. he must suck. Wait.. wasn't that Horvat last season? Nope. McCann is having a better pre-draft year than Horvat [who stepped it up in the playoffs].

Yes, Ehlers numbers are comparable to Drouin's because.. he's playing on a line with him?

^^^^ yes the more I see of McCann the more he seems like the best fit at where we draft.

Love that his pedigree (ohl draft position and midget stats)is that of a 1st line player with huge potential. His greatest attributes of speed, high end dangles and a deadly wrister are a lot more enticing than a player that needs to get faster.

Needs to add a lot of strength but not many don't at 18. Nice that he can play LW also.

^^^^ yes the more I see of McCann the more he seems like the best fit at where we draft.

Love that his pedigree (ohl draft position and midget stats)is that of a 1st line player with huge potential. His greatest attributes of speed, high end dangles and a deadly wrister are a lot more enticing than a player that needs to get faster.

Needs to add a lot of strength but not many don't at 18. Nice that he can play LW also.

Yeah I could see him being one of those 10-15th pick surprises. Late bloomer potential wise. He may only end up as a 3rd liner but Virtanen may only be a 3rd liner in the end as well.

Seeing the progression of our draft picks in recent years, I'm finding more trust in our scouts. Watching guys like gaunce in preseason, you see the potential they picked him for. He's always making a good play even though he's in a tight spot.

Even if they happen to take a guy like McCann over Virtanen or perlini, I fully trust them. They watch countless games and see the holes and concerns in certain players.

Whatever happens it's going to be exciting to have another higher pick to slot in with our already solid prospects who are progressing beautifully(half the top 8 ohl playoff leaders are canucks!).

Whether it's a dynamic scorer like Nylander, a tough sob with hands like Ritchie or a solid 2way centre like McCann, it's going to be a great addition to the pool.

I agree.

If Fleury is available at 12 or 13 I would take him. He could be a Brent Seabrook/Dion Phaneuf type player.

I've got a bad feeling about Virtanen for some reason. Just a gut feeling he'll be a bust.

Yeah, it would be nice to snag the second ranked dman in the draft. Were pretty solid up front. Adding Fluery would be injecting quality in our weak future left side.

Edler Tanev

Fluery Corrado

Hutton Subban

He's the 2nd leading scorer on an SSM team that finished ahead of the Knights and Otters in the standings. He's one of those guys that brings the offense instead of benefiting from having a top draft pick to work with (Ehlers). I mean really in terms of forwards on the SSM, it's just him and undrafted, undersized Tolchinsky. He's carrying a very strong team on his back.

Add to all this his repertoire of being a two way forward and you see why he's so highly touted. Plus he'll fight and stick up for teammates while Ehlers would most likey turtle (we have enough of those). Even if you think McCann is redundant with what we have in Horvat and Gaunce, I would rather have young guys that straight outwork the competition (think Colorado this year) than have top end talent that doesn't contribute beyond the scoreboard (Oilers of the last 4 years). It's a pretty clear cut choice.

I'm with this guy. Not a fan of Ehlers, I much rather have McCann over Ehlers like 10 out 10 times. Sorry, nothing Against Ehrlers, ironically McCann is this years Bo Horvat. 200 foot player, but really if we are at the early teens, I say draft a defencemen, if Nick Ritchie is already gone. TBT, Dal Cole, is probably long gone, Take Ritchie, since the Canucks decided to show up now, and further hurt their draft chances putting us in the earlyl teens.. take a DMAN. I really woulnd't mind McCann if we are drafting 12 or 13.

Hey guys, here is some food for thought..

Would you guys rather see MG trade kesler/edler and trade up in this years draft and acquire Bennett, driesatl, or dal colle, or trade kesler/edler for a top 5/10 pick in the 2015 draft?

Sorry for any mistakes up there :)

Grenier...lol

Considering is Tuck goes the NCAA route...we wont see him for another 4 years anyway. I think in time he will be much better than all you just named

Ya, cause a point per game player on an intentionally stacked development team in a U18 league is going to be better than a guy on pace to put up 20 G in his first pro season. He's not going to be better than any of the 3, but maybe if you keep repeating it...

Ya, cause a point per game player on an intentionally stacked development team in a U18 league is going to be better than a guy on pace to put up 20 G in his first pro season. He's not going to be better than any of the 3, but maybe if you keep repeating it...

NTDP doesn't play in a U18 league

If you're thinking of the USHL, where many of their games come from, its a U20 league like the CHL. More importantly, the NTDP plays against college teams, and several international competitions.

Also, Grenier isn't a first year pro, he played pro in Austria after graduating from the Q. Last year he was in Kalamazoo (ECHL).

NTDP doesn't play in a U18 league

If you're thinking of the USHL, where many of their games come from, its a U20 league like the CHL. More importantly, the NTDP plays against college teams, and several international competitions.

Also, Grenier isn't a first year pro, he played pro in Austria after graduating from the Q. Last year he was in Kalamazoo (ECHL).

I'll rephrase that, the USHL is practically a u18 league, as many over 18 go onto play in college. Additionally many of the USHL teams have players attending high school full time and are made up of a mashup of high school hockey players and junior B players. It's really a sub par league, and I don't care how much you talk up the games against college teams, they don't play in the Big 10 or ECAC, so the point is irrelevant.

This is Grenier's first real year in the AHL and he's doing amazing. Maybe there's room for debate with him and Tuch but Tuch is sure as hell not better than Kassian or Jensen as the poster you're defending claims.

I'll rephrase that, the USHL is practically a u18 league, as many over 18 go onto play in college. Additionally many of the USHL teams have players attending high school full time and are made up of a mashup of high school hockey players and junior B players. It's really a sub par league, and I don't care how much you talk up the games against college teams, they don't play in the Big 10 or ECAC, so the point is irrelevant.

This is Grenier's first real year in the AHL and he's doing amazing. Maybe there's room for debate with him and Tuch but Tuch is sure as hell not better than Kassian or Jensen as the poster you're defending claims.

First off, I never stated that Tuck is "better than the 3 right now". I stated that in time he WILL be better than the 3.

As for you analogy of NTDP....Im sure we both know the list of successful players to come out of that team. I see USHL as to what the BCHL is, although I tend to hold the later in a higher regard.

You make a point that we have Jensen, Kassian and Grenier on the right side. Also Hansen is still there. For the left side we also have Shinkaruk, Fox along with Daniel signed for 4 years along with Higgins signed for another few years. Also lets not forget Burrows and with Booth suddenly being of use playing with Kassian, I dont see Booth getting bought out. Henrik, Kesler(if he isnt traded) along with Mathias to go with Gaunce and Horvat make up our centers

we are finally starting to get depth in our prospect pool and this is great. They wont need to be rushed.

3-4 years and Tuck should be just in time for his rookie year. By then hopefully all developed and ready to go.

I believe any player we draft wont be ready for atleast 3 years.....

Archived