The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What, that a ton of junior players play on their off-wing, or that OV is a prime example of having that translate to the NHL? Both are true statements.

You said playing on your off wing doesn't translate into the NHL unless your OV. Meaning out of all players drafted playing on their off wing OV is the only one who translated it successfully. That is far from a true statement.

The argument is mute, the best Kesler trade plausible is for Etem and Anaheim's 2 1sts

with the 10th overall we can draft Virtanen, or Perlini, or Nylander, or Ehlers

Get er done Linden

I was thinking the exact same thing and great point. I would like to see us keep our 6th and draft Virtanen or whoever.

If we get the 10th from Anaheim then package that for Kane.

Again...to me Kesler is already gone. If rumours were true that it was the dressing room that took his A away then that speaks volumes. Having a freshened, united room is alot better that a room with an elephant in it and I dont care WHAT skills he has.

Im willing to bet my bottom dollar that when Kane gets here, we see a re-invigorated and inspired player giving his all. We can use his speed, hitting, youthfulness and overall excitement.

Ive stated this before.....

If we walk away from the draft with Ritchie/Virtanen AND Kane....Im a very excited fan

Straight ahead speed is the only thing that Virtanen beats Ritchie in, and it isn't a huge difference. Ritchie has good two-step quickness and can get where he needs to be every time.

Ritchie has him beat, or tied, in every other category including shot, physicality, creativeness, passing, and defensive awareness.

I respectfully disagree, as Virtanen is noticeably much faster, has a better shot, and is just as physical and defensively aware. Just not as good a playmaker, granted, but not enough to be a dealbreaker.

Besides, are the Canucks going all power now? Or going with a faster tempo? Because I think Linden said the latter.

If we pick Ritchie i'm totally fine. I've been more impressed with Virtanen though. We need to bring in more speed without paying Evander Kane cash.

You said playing on your off wing doesn't translate into the NHL unless your OV. Meaning out of all players drafted playing on their off wing OV is the only one who translated it successfully. That is far from a true statement.

Granted. Not to mention Burrows. But natural wingers are still preferred. It's easier to control the puck.

The argument is mute, the best Kesler trade plausible is for Etem and Anaheim's 2 1sts

with the 10th overall we can draft Virtanen, or Perlini, or Nylander, or Ehlers

Get er done Linden

Do you think Anaheim ever consider a Kesler and a draft pick (2nd/3rd rounder maybe) for Lindholm and the 10th overall?

We could strike two birds with one stone by drafting a forward like Virtanen, Perlini, Nylander, Ehlers, or Kapanen while adding a young two-way defenseman with top-pairing potential.

I want Richie at #6 but I fear Burke will take him and we will not have a chance.

Really, if Burke does this, and another team chooses outside the big five, it is only good news for us.

Ok, here's the dream #6 pick: Reinhart.

How? Like this:

Some team picks Nylander because they think he is as good as some here on CDC say he is.

Some team picks Ehlers for the same reason.

Burke takes Richie for his toughness with skill.

NYI take a goalie like Ville Husso or Thatcher Demko because Snow used to be a goalie and NYI management are a bunch of fruit-cakes.

Ekblad goes to the other top five team.

We get to pick from Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl, Dal Colle.

Granted. Not to mention Burrows. But natural wingers are still preferred. It's easier to control the puck.

Sharp, Vanek, P Kane, Neal, Hossa, Voracek and Perron have all played on their off wing and have been successful at it.

It is possible to be successful but, as you said, it is preferred to play on your natural side as a winger.

Do you think Anaheim ever consider a Kesler and a draft pick (2nd/3rd rounder maybe) for Lindholm and the 10th overall?

We could strike two birds with one stone by drafting a forward like Virtanen, Perlini, Nylander, Ehlers, or Kapanen while adding a young two-way defenseman with top-pairing potential.

I personally want Etem because he played with Shinkaruk.

with the other 1st that means we would have

Etem, Ritchie, Virtanen, Horvat, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Cassels, Fox, Corrado, Subban, 1st Anaheim 2014

Literally going from Connaugton + Suave and Hodgson to 10 top prospects all physical, all competitive, all skilled

Let's let Etem + Santo + Horvat compete for the 2C

Jesus guys....

Calm down

We are trading Kesler to Anaheim for a prospect and their 2 first round picks.

We are drafting Ritchie AND Virtanen And then Ritchies Linemate Cornel and either Demko or Lemiuex with Anaheims 1st or our 2nd.

Best of both worlds so chill

Jesus guys....

Calm down

We are drafting Ritchie AND Virtanen And then Ritchies Linemate Cornel and either Demko or Lemiuex with Anaheims 1st or our 2nd.

So where's Connor McDavid?

I personally want Etem because he played with Shinkaruk.

with the other 1st that means we would have

Etem, Ritchie, Virtanen, Horvat, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Cassels, Fox, Corrado, Subban, 1st Anaheim 2014

Literally going from Connaugton + Suave and Hodgson to 10 top prospects all physical, all competitive, all skilled

Let's let Etem + Santo + Horvat compete for the 2C

I'd be happy having

Etem/Shinkaruk

Drafting Ritchie/Cornel

Having Gaunce/Fox (and hoping for MacDavid)

Again keeping essentially 2/3rds of top junior scoring lines and then developing them into adulthood and the NHL together only increases the likelihood of success with our draft picks.

Jesus guys....

Calm down

Lol i like the confidence!

IN YOUR SIG!

:lol:

I'd be happy having

Etem/Shinkaruk

Drafting Ritchie/Cornel

Having Gaunce/Fox (and hoping for MacDavid)

Again keeping essentially 2/3rds of top junior scoring lines and then developing them into adulthood and the NHL together only increases the likelihood of success with our draft picks.

Well that would be quite the prospect tandems/combos!

As of now, sitting back playing NHL 13 and laughing at ekblads response about possibly going to Florida?

2015 is a long ways off and...We could still be terrible next year.

I fully anticipate we will be a bubble team or worse next year and IF we lose Kesler via trade as well as/or Edler Hansen and or Burrows and replacing them with AHL players like Grenier, Lain and Jensen....

We will be a top 5 drafting team again.

Maybe just maybe that is Lindens master plan....great draft this year horrible team next year competing by 2016

Well that would be quite the prospect tandems/combos!

I really don't see that as being out of the realms of possibility. even if the trade is Kesler for Etem (who Anaheim will not let go easily) and Ottawa's 1st....I would still pick Ritchie/Virtanen/Cornel in the 1st two rounds.

Again giving us 2/3rds of the following top junior lines

etem/Shinkaruk

Gaunce/Fox

Ritchie/Cornel

And as I just said, losing any one of or combination of Edler, Kesler, Hansen, Burrows and or Booth (or other D man) and replacing them via AHL players like Grenier, Jensen and Lain will most likely leave us woefully short of scoring and a possible top 5 lottery team next year

As of now, sitting back playing NHL 13 and laughing at ekblads response about possibly going to Florida?

I fully anticipate we will be a bubble team or worse next year and IF we lose Kesler via trade as well as/or Edler Hansen and or Burrows and replacing them with AHL players like Grenier, Lain and Jensen....

Maybe just maybe that is Lindens master plan....great draft this year horrible team next year competing by 2016

Hard to imagine Linden sells this as his plan to F.Aq.

Lol fun to imagine, but not fun to imagine a year worse then this one again and how the fans/ticketholders would react

Maybe. But I got the feeling that we're going to do something crazy at the draft to cause us to scratch our heads about what the plan actually is.

Like acquiring Kane, but trading Kesler, and then having us listen to the Canucks trying to sell that as an upgrade. Yuck.

I really don't see that as being out of the realms of possibility. even if the trade is Kesler for Etem (who Anaheim will not let go easily) and Ottawa's 1st....I would still pick Ritchie/Virtanen/Cornel in the 1st two rounds.

Again giving us 2/3rds of the following top junior lines

etem/Shinkaruk

Gaunce/Fox

Ritchie/Cornel

And as I just said, losing any one of or combination of Edler, Kesler, Hansen, Burrows and or Booth (or other D man) and replacing them via AHL players like Grenier, Jensen and Lain will most likely leave us woefully short of scoring and a possible top 5 lottery team next year

Shinkaruk Etem Kassian

Fox Gaunce Virtanen

Ritchie Horvat Cornel

But what of Cassells and Jensen!

Shinkaruk Etem Kassian

Fox Gaunce Virtanen

Ritchie Horvat Cornel

But what of Cassells and Jensen!

And there's the beautiful thing, Still a possibility that we net Dal Colle with our pick and Ritchie at 10th if that trade for Otts pick is made. Dal Colle/Cassels and Ritchie/Cornel

Maybe. But I got the feeling that we're going to do something crazy at the draft to cause us to scratch our heads about what the plan actually is.

Like acquiring Kane, but trading Kesler, and then having us listen to the Canucks trying to sell that as an upgrade. Yuck.

I just don't see it. I really don't. Linden is a 100% character guy and I do not see him taking a chance on Kane to the detriment of the future of this team. if he is gunning for a Van born guy it could/would be Reinhart or Virtanen. His version of a "safe pick" along those lines

Archived