The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Kapanen is one of the best two-way forwards in this draft, and one of the best skaters in the draft if not the best (in the top 10 range of the draft). He has skill to go with his top notch speed and he is solid defensively, if he adds some weight then he should be a good top 6 winger.

Weight is one of the only concerns for most players in this draft and most of the drafted players that need to add weight, add weight it is how they grow. They are still kids, they are going to get bigger people seem to forget.

Just because Richie is 6'3 and 230 pounds doesn't mean he's the only power forward in the draft or big player, players will grow so don't let size at the age of 17/18 be a deciding factor to who we draft.

THANKYOU!!!! I tottaly agree, kapenen is THEEE most underated kid in the top 10 and i would be more than happy to trade down to say TOR for thir 2nd and draft kapenen, after all he is ranked higher than nyla1for a reason IMOO

There is tons too like about Ritchie. And I wouldn't be disappointed if we drafted him. But his offensive skill leaves more to be desired IMO.

The only other thing I worry about is his weight. He will likely need to drop 15 pounds or so for his conditioning to be NHL level. This isn't a huge deal. But ideally you want young guys to put on muscle. As anyone with bodybuilding experience knows it is difficult to lose fat and put on muscle at the same time.

Wow...

OK. As he grows the proverbial "baby weight" he currently has left on his body or his median BMI will indeed shrink giving way to lean muscle growth. As this happens his speed and acceleration will increase.

This does not in any way mean he will be less effective, quite the opposite it means he will be heavier and harder to move, hit harder and be far stronger overall as anyone with body building experience knows.

1 pound of fat is larger than 1 pound of muscle but less dense overall. Kassian is a perfect example of this as was Bertuzzi. remind us again how losing that median BMI as it gave way to lean muscle growth was detrimental to them.

Ritchie with his current height and size might lose that 15 pounds (if indeed he has any median body weight to lose) but it does not in any way shape or form mean he will not work out or be less effective because of it.

It just means he will be bigger, heavier, meaner and stronger when he starts hitting his prime. It means by age 26-29 he will be one of the strongest and largest and possibly meanest SObs on the ice and as such i'd rather have him on our team than playing for Edm or Cal.

Talked about how he wants the Boston model of big tough 2 way players that can roll on 4 lines.

IE not a skilled sniper/dangler that will be a -40 (Yea I know EHlers is a +60)

I really think it is safe to say currently:

We will take 1 of:

Ekblad

Reinhart

Dal Colle

Bennett

Draisaitl

If they slide to 6th

And I really think Ritchie will be next on our ranking, if Burkie takes him then we get one of the top 5.

I am convinced this will be our strategy. Especially since by what linden said Nylander and Ehlers will not be a part of the equation, and if we get another top ten pick I would think we take: Virtanen/Perlini/McCann/Kapanen/Fleury in that order.

This I am convinced is our current draft board/strategy.

I can't find anything besides what people said to me when I asked what Linden said.

I think it is the CBC interview where he praised the Boston model.

It is bush league how they have those big envelopes (PRE-STUFFED). Very un-transparent. When did they actually do the real draw and who was involved in stuffing the envelopes, Very Bettman like. Why don't they drop the balls like lotto so everyone can watch it as it happens. The pre-stuffed envelopes are not only suspicious but about as exciting as watching the shootout

We have been up against big physical teams,we have needed more size in our top six,this is fact.In tight low scoring playoff hockey the physical players thrive.They hit,wear down,intimidate,lean on and absorb the grind better.Your slight build skill players are at risk of injury.It is rare to have top six players that can provide a prescence like this and play a ton.There are a few Heavy Duty wingers in this draft and I think Van should answer the question about"how do we get a player like that noone will trade us one?"by trying to aquire two of them through our pick and trade.Once you build a big strong team you can then by all means draft an Uber skilled wunderkid to freewheel amongst the giants creating room for him to shine.

Wow...

OK. As he grows the proverbial "baby weight" he currently has left on his body or his median BMI will indeed shrink giving way to lean muscle growth. As this happens his speed and acceleration will increase.

This does not in any way mean he will be less effective, quite the opposite it means he will be heavier and harder to move, hit harder and be far stronger overall as anyone with body building experience knows.

1 pound of fat is larger than 1 pound of muscle but less dense overall. Kassian is a perfect example of this as was Bertuzzi. remind us again how losing that median BMI as it gave way to lean muscle growth was detrimental to them.

Ritchie with his current height and size might lose that 15 pounds (if indeed he has any median body weight to lose) but it does not in any way shape or form mean he will not work out or be less effective because of it.

It just means he will be bigger, heavier, meaner and stronger when he starts hitting his prime. It means by age 26-29 he will be one of the strongest and largest and possibly meanest SObs on the ice and as such i'd rather have him on our team than playing for Edm or Cal.

Ya I agree with you. I think in all likelihood it is just "baby weight" and he will lose it. I am not too concerned about it. But there is an off chance that he could have difficulty losing the weight and could affect him -- ONLY in the short term.

Kapanen is one of the best two-way forwards in this draft, and one of the best skaters in the draft if not the best (in the top 10 range of the draft). He has skill to go with his top notch speed and he is solid defensively, if he adds some weight then he should be a good top 6 winger.

Weight is one of the only concerns for most players in this draft and most of the drafted players that need to add weight, add weight it is how they grow. They are still kids, they are going to get bigger people seem to forget.

Just because Richie is 6'3 and 230 pounds doesn't mean he's the only power forward in the draft or big player, players will grow so don't let size at the age of 17/18 be a deciding factor to who we draft.

We actually have a player like that already.

Hunter Shinkaruk. Solid defensive player, who actually has more bit then Kapenen and probably more physical. On top of that, Kapanen is ranked in the early teens, why the hell are we drafting a guy whois highest rank is 12th overall? Why do Canucks fans entertain the idea of using a 6th overall pick on someone who is ranked in the early teens?

The term "power foward" is a quite a loose term. But Ritchie is a very rare exception. I think having him will be a huge factor in the next few years, in the big bad Pacific division. I think it will be very critical and important for us to draft a huge highly skilled power winger, instead of an undersized soft European player, a player who again we actually have a similar player 2 of them in the system, (Schroeder who is also a very sound defensive centerman) and please don't try to counter me with saying we have Kassian on our team similar to Ritchie, although they are both (power foward) it's a totally different game, Ritchie is more of a finnese player who can run the power play and a better puck possesion player, Kassian, is a hybrid crease crashing body checking winger, with decent hands. It's not close.

Ya I agree with you. I think in all likelihood it is just "baby weight" and he will lose it. I am not too concerned about it. But there is an off chance that he could have difficulty losing the weight and could affect him -- ONLY in the short term.

but I think (as I've stated a few times) that ANY of the 6 possible players we get would and rightfully should spend a few years in development.

The three PWFs will need seasoning, and yes even Dal Colle would gal into that category. If only to shore up and refine areas of their game.

Of the three Europeans, Ehlers, Nylander and Kapanen, they'll also need a few solid years as well. If nothing else but to let them fill out and grow a few pounds or inches insulated from the big leagues where they could really get hurt adds harm their development.

I have no problem at all with waiting a few seasons for this years picks; and even next years for that matter, developing over time properly.

We are in new territory as Canucks fans in that we are starting to acquire and develop solid blue chip players that we can take the time to develop properly for the first time in club history.

If Ritchie us our pick and we don't see him for a few years. No big deal. Same with anyone we pick this and next year.

As of now this team and its fans need to embrace patience and enjoy the fact we can do this and develop these kids while still feasibly being competitive.

I'm genuinely excited for anyone we pick in the first three rounds this year. And should we shed core players and end up lottery bound next year as well so be it.

Ritchie's development would be my only concern, him and any of our prospects.

I totally agree, on Kapanen, he has top end talent to go with competitiveness, great skating ability and two-way play.

I keep coming back to the Sharp comparison myself, thats what I think he could become.

THANKYOU!!!! I tottaly agree, kapenen is THEEE most underated kid in the top 10 and i would be more than happy to trade down to say TOR for thir 2nd and draft kapenen, after all he is ranked higher than nyla1for a reason IMOO

I would just take him at 6, if we don't I think Carolina might at 7. Or else ya trading down might be a good idea.

Hunter Shinkaruk. Solid defensive player, who actually has more bit then Kapenen and probably more physical. On top of that, Kapanen is ranked in the early teens, why the hell are we drafting a guy whois highest rank is 12th overall? Why do Canucks fans entertain the idea of using a 6th overall pick on someone who is ranked in the early teens?

The term "power foward" is a quite a loose term. But Ritchie is a very rare exception. I think having him will be a huge factor in the next few years, in the big bad Pacific division. I think it will be very critical and important for us to draft a huge highly skilled power winger, instead of an undersized soft European player, a player who again we actually have a similar player 2 of them in the system, (Schroeder who is also a very sound defensive centerman) and please don't try to counter me with saying we have Kassian on our team similar to Ritchie, although they are both (power foward) it's a totally different game, Ritchie is more of a finnese player who can run the power play and a better puck possesion player, Kassian, is a hybrid crease crashing body checking winger, with decent hands. It's not close.

Jake Virtanen was ranked in the 2nd round by Craig Button, why are we wasting the 6th pick on a player ranked in the 2nd round?

Rankings mean nothing, I've seen plenty of rankings that have Kapanen in the top 10.

Anyways I don't see the Shinkaruk/Kapanen comparison at all really, Shinkaruk is like a Jeff Skinner type, I see Kapanen as being comparable to Patrick Sharp, do you see those 2 as comparables?

I haven't heard that rumour at all, in fact my understand was it was Torts who decided there should only be two alternate captains instead of four that rotate for home and away games. If you have a source on that I'd be interested to see it.

King baby....I swear I read it. Not sure if it was Botch or Gallagher but surely someone on CDC here seen it as well. Im not one to post something taken out of my rear.

Im diggin now thats for sure

I totally agree, on Kapanen, he has top end talent to go with competitiveness, great skating ability and two-way play.

I keep coming back to the Sharp comparison myself, thats what I think he could become.

I would just take him at 6, if we don't I think Carolina might at 7. Or else ya trading down might be a good idea.

Jake Virtanen was ranked in the 2nd round by Craig Button, why are we wasting the 6th pick on a player ranked in the 2nd round?

Rankings mean nothing, I've seen plenty of rankings that have Kapanen in the top 10.

Anyways I don't see the Shinkaruk/Kapanen comparison at all really, Shinkaruk is like a Jeff Skinner type, I see Kapanen as being comparable to Patrick Sharp, do you see those 2 as comparables?

How Button nuts has a job at TSN is beyond me. The fact he ranked Virtanen in the 2nd round all year then BAMM flip flops to pair him to go 6th. Yikes....

I trust 2 scouting services....ISS and CS. I would still trust an actual scout from any team over all of them but we dont get to see many names put to team scouts.

Bobby Mac refers to...."Of the 12 scouts I talked to....."

Like WHO are they?

Reading a few comments on not drafting PWFs such as Ritchie or Virtanen assuming they all get paired on the same line.

What if they are balanced out

Shinkaruk Horvat Kassian

Ritchie Cassels Jensen

Size-2way--skill

2 balanced lines.....on paper anyway

I don't like the idea of following a particular teams 'model'. If it were that simple every team would be winning. You get the BPA and build around them it's a crap shoot. The likelyhood of duplicating Boston's success by taking in 'big two-way' players seems very unlikely to me. I prefer we keep it simple, take the BPA and fill the needs around that. Centres should be 'big two-way' players. Defence should be big strong skaters. You need some speedy skilled guys on the wings still. Oh and a goalie.... We still have one of those dont we?

I don't like the idea of following a particular teams 'model'. If it were that simple every team would be winning. You get the BPA and build around them it's a crap shoot. The likelyhood of duplicating Boston's success by taking in 'big two-way' players seems very unlikely to me. I prefer we keep it simple, take the BPA and fill the needs around that. Centres should be 'big two-way' players. Defence should be big strong skaters. You need some speedy skilled guys on the wings still. Oh and a goalie.... We still have one of those dont we?

Detroit model, Boston Model

Why doesnt anyone follow the Chicago model?

Seabrook-Keith

those were the first 2....they been paired for 7+ years now and both in their first year.

Hunter Shinkaruk and Kasperi Kapanen are not alike. Kapanen is the better defensive player, I guess we have 1 goal scorer so let's not draft another one? Rankings are just rankings, they aren't 100% gurantees that Ekblad will be better than everybody else in the draft. On most rankings I see Kapanen as the #1 European player or ranked 7-11.

We went to the SCF with a skilled team we didn't have this big, slow, goon team. Chicago does great without a big goon team, St. Louis is doing good. You beat the team on the scoreboard with speed and skill not big, guys who sit in the corners and get greasy goals. I don't think you've been watching because Kassian has shown he has skills, he is a playmaker he does set up plays. I know you are modeling after LA but we can beat with simply speed and skill, we got Kassian, we got guys who stick up for each other.

My point is you don't need big players on your team to beat teams like LA, SJ, ANA, you can beat them skill and that is why we should draft Kapanen not a guy who is an oversized player playing against smaller competition.

Nick Ritchie won't look fast and won't be able to power through other players in the NHL, the highest competition and the most skilled players will skate around him or just angle him off.

Other players will grow aswell, Kapanen could grow from 6'0 to around 6'2 and add 20 more pounds of muscle, still a growing kid and he is strong he isn't a soft euro who is all flash and dash. He plays all aspects of the game, a complete and competitive player.

We were very close to winning by following the Detroit model. It only makes sense to try and duplicate another team's success if they are repeatedly in contention to win the Stanley Cup (or playoffs, at least). I'm all in for copying the Boston model as it suits our division.

That said, there are key elements of any hockey team -- two-way centres, big and strong skating defensemen, and skilled forwards -- that are needed in any model.

In our particular situation, moving towards the Boston model while still maintaining those same key elements of any hockey team would, in my opinion, appear to be the best move for this franchise. Good thing Linden and I (and many others) agree on this.

Hunter Shinkaruk and Kasperi Kapanen are not alike. Kapanen is alot better defensively and the better defensive player, I guess we have 1 goal scorer so let's not draft another one? Rankings are just rankings, they aren't 100% gurantees that Ekblad will be better than everybody else in the draft. On most rankings I see Kapanen as the #1 European player or ranked 7-11.

We went to the SCF with a skilled team we didn't have this big, slow, goon team. Chicago does great without a big goon team, St. Louis is doing good. You beat the team on the scoreboard with speed and skill not big, guys who sit in the corners and get greasy goals. I don't think you've been watching because Kassian has shown he has skills, he is a playmaker he does set up plays. I know you are modeling after LA but we can beat with simply speed and skill, we got Kassian, we got guys who stick up for each other.

My point is you don't need big players on your team to beat teams like LA, SJ, ANA, you can beat them skill and that is why we should draft Kapanen not a guy who is an oversized player playing against smaller competition.

Nick Ritchie won't look fast and won't be able to power through other players in the NHL, the highest competition and the most skilled players will skate around him or just angle him off.

how bout the happy medium sized guy in Virtanen? Wheels of steel? drops the gloves? Defensively aware? Loves to shoot the puck? Heaven knows we need guys that love to shoot. And this man amongst boys theory....he IS still the boy.

And you think that all of the skills that Ritchie is showing in that Youtube highlight vid....he wont carry those on? Just gonna show up to camp and all his skills just evaporate? Ya he might not hit his stride until he is 21-22 but he will turn into something special

We will only know who the best choice was a few years down the road so don't sweat it people!

Who ever we choose let's get behind them and actually make them feel like they will be as good as they can.

oh trust me....getting CDC to 100% agree and back someone never works. There will always be a sect that will always find a way to rip a new one into them. But as soon as that player scores 2 goals those same ppl plan the parade route

Archived