The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd be fine with either Ritchie or Ehlers, two completely different types of players and I see the merits of both. I just find it funny that people see that Ehlers is 1" under 6' and 165 lbs as an 18 year and instantly say he will never make it.

Look at the way this kid plays, he will make it for sure, and in 3 years when he makes Anaheims roster and is blowing past our defenders like they're pylons some people will feel pretty dumb for discounting him so soon.

well I and most every other scout and newspaper and media type ALL have us picking one of the power forwards.....NOT Ehlers or Nylander or Kapanen.

THAT stat alone tells us something.....

The sooner ppl start to wrap their heads around it...the better.

We have 2-3 big dudes who all have size, skill and many other intangibles. Ya, some say we have those guys already but other than Kassian...WHO do we have?

Have a RH RW in Virtanen who loves to bowl thru ppl at only 17yrs of age and loves to shoot and score is what we been screaming for to compliment the twins....Nahhhh, what do we want that for?

First game for Canada at the U18 championships is over. They beat Sweden 3-1.

Prospect Watch:

Virtanen: 2 goals, 2PIM

Nylander: Zeros across the boxscore

Perlini: Zeros across the boxscore

Kemp: 12 PIMs

Karlsson: Zeros across the boxscore

Quenneville: Zeros across the boxscore

Fluery: Zeros across the boxscore

McCann: Zeros across the boxscore

Drafting either Ritchie or Virtanen is good enough for me.

According to some here....all of those skills just listed above are going to evaporate and he will never develop into an NHL player. Usually the same guys that have wood for Kapanen nd Ehlers.

Come draft day....selecting Kapanen/Ehlers we will not....Bank on it.

kapanen is a pretty darn good player and if you can say one thing about the Finns, its that they play a north american style.......I never worry about a Finn being able to play a physical brand of hockey, or at least being able to withstand it. If one of the top 5 doesn't fall to 6, it'll be Ritchie or kapanen, imo. At this point, I think Kapanen is more of a sure thing than Ritchie.........I just cant shake the feeling that 230 is too much for a young kid, and if he leans out, is he going to be as effective?

well I and most every other scout and newspaper and media type ALL have us picking one of the power forwards.....NOT Ehlers or Nylander or Kapanen.

THAT stat alone tells us something.....

The sooner ppl start to wrap their heads around it...the better.

We have 2-3 big dudes who all have size, skill and many other intangibles. Ya, some say we have those guys already but other than Kassian...WHO do we have?

Have a RH RW in Virtanen who loves to bowl thru ppl at only 17yrs of age and loves to shoot and score is what we been screaming for to compliment the twins....Nahhhh, what do we want that for?

Dude, read what I wrote. I get that Ritchie and Virtanen are good picks.... I understand that right now those are desirable players and would be good additions to the team. But it's not ridiculous to look at the high skill guys as well as viable options. I'm so sick of hearing about the Boston model. How about we create the Canucks model? A blend of high skill and bigger grittier players that can compliment each other.

No his potential is 1 st line hall of famer he just needs all the right coaching like kassian is getting. His shot is decent and more importanlty its quick amd accurate yea hes not a sniper but those goals are ebaporatong more and more not saying we dont need a player like thatbut ritchie is the pick

Lmao at trading higgins plus the 6th to nyi that wont get u squat the gap between 5 and 6 is perceived huge. When in reality ritchie is a wild card pick.

If u seriously want dal colle or leon try the 6th shinkaruk, stanton

1st line HOF hey? Lol, in surprised he isn't projected 1st overall then.

Obviously the 6th and Higgins won't do it, but something like Hansen the 6th and a 3rd would. It's only 1 spot...

I know this is pure speculation/ pure imagination like willy wonka, but I am visualizing and imagining Sam Bennet dropping to 6th like Doug Gilmour.

Ekblad Locked in 1 or 2

Reinhart Locked in top 2

Dal Colle has locked him self into the top 5 with his strong year and playoff performance

Draisaitl is locked into the top 5 with his overall season play, physical maturity and leading his team.

Ritchie/Virtanen one of them or a GM high on Kapanen/Ehlers will sneak in to the top 5.

Whether it is Burkie taking a big PWF or Snow taking a high skill player.

Leaving Bennett to us.

I feel he could have dropped his stock with the injuries due to his style of play and the need for him to gain strength and some weight.

This is my draft day Vision ::D

Prospect Watch:

Thanks for that...are they broadcasting these on TV or the internet?

Go Virtnanen !

I know this is pure speculation/ pure imagination like willy wonka, but I am visualizing and imagining Sam Bennet dropping to 6th like Doug Gilmour.

Ekblad Locked in 1 or 2

Reinhart Locked in top 2

Dal Colle has locked him self into the top 5 with his strong year and playoff performance

Draisaitl is locked into the top 5 with his overall season play, physical maturity and leading his team.

Ritchie/Virtanen one of them or a GM high on Kapanen/Ehlers will sneak in to the top 5.

Whether it is Burkie taking a big PWF or Snow taking a high skill player.

Leaving Bennett to us.

I feel he could have dropped his stock with the injuries due to his style of play and the need for him to gain strength and some weight.

This is my draft day Vision : :D

Dougie Gilmore eh?

I haven't seen a lot of Sam but I do see some similar traits, I would hope we grab him at number 6 if he is there.

Horvat is almost for sure destined for 2C anyway with his defensive game even if he outscores the 1C (Henrick then Sam).

Dougie Gilmore eh?

I haven't seen a lot of Sam but I do see some similar traits, I would hope we grab him at number 6 if he is there.

Horvat is almost for sure destined for 2C anyway with his defensive game even if he outscores the 1C (Henrick then Sam).

I like Bennett but IMO we have enough centers (Horvat, Cassels, Gaunce). If Bennett slips to us and guys like Ritchie or Virtanen are still available....this is where we trade down and pick up a few more picks, etc....

Im banking on Calgary to grab Draisaitl or Dal Colle. Both would compliment Monahan very well. Or Burke could try to bully his way to Reinhart.

Although the upside for Ritchie is there as power forward potential, he is known to battle inconsistency and work ethic issues. As well as head and shoulder injuries. He could turn out to be a Sestito, someone that scored a lot in junior got drafted got bigger again and lost his finesse.

Also for former player son, if you look at the history of most sports what sons of former pretty well known hockey players actually became stars or better than their dads? I think Nylander and Kapanen are a risk due to what we have seen in history...considering we finally have a high pick.

Although the upside for Ritchie is there as power forward potential, he is known to battle inconsistency and work ethic issues. As well as head and shoulder injuries. He could turn out to be a Sestito, someone that scored a lot in junior got drafted got bigger again and lost his finesse.

I wouldn't exactly call 10 goals for Sestito a lot.

I like Bennett but IMO we have enough centers (Horvat, Cassels, Gaunce). If Bennett slips to us and guys like Ritchie or Virtanen are still available....this is where we trade down and pick up a few more picks, etc....

Im banking on Calgary to grab Draisaitl or Dal Colle. Both would compliment Monahan very well. Or Burke could try to bully his way to Reinhart.

That could work, pick up Ritchie, Virtanen, Perlinni or Kapennen and get another good second round pick as well.

I'm in as long as Winterpeg, Carolina, Toronto or Ottawa are in (I would want a future 4th rounder as well, if we had to do Ottawa).

Prospect Watch:

ehlers-still in the playoffs where he wasnts to be.

ehlers-still in the playoffs where he wasnts to be.

Yea on that team with DROUIN LOLOLOLOL

btw just realized Etem + Shinkaruk played for Medicine Hat just like weee Trevor Linden.. fast track the Etem + 10th + 27th from Anaheim for Kesler trade

Archived