The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There's actually nothing wrong with Virtanen's hockey IQ though. A lot of people who's opinions I value higher have said this, and I tend to agree.

Of course, he could turn into a Booth. But he also could turn into an Oshie. Both are better options than what I've seen from Nylander at this point. Esp. if the aim is to do something in the playoffs. We'll need more grease. A lot more.

You may be right, he could be a great scoring winger, but I haven't seen him out think his opponents on a regular basis. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I just want to make sure we get someone who can play a team game at 5v5.

I'm not a huge fan of Nylander either, he seems to disappear at times, I'm more interested in Ehlers to be honest.

I think Jake is a useful player that we don't have any of. I also think Ehlers has the higher ceiling.

When I compare Jake's stats to Evander Kane's in their draft years, he's just not at that level. I think everyone in Van would put those kind of expectations on him and he will have a hard time reaching his potential here is Van.

Realistically all of our opinions don't matter at all, and we won't know who was "right" ever because each player would develop differently depending on which organization takes them.

I would be okay with Virtanen at 6 because their isn't a clear choice if the top 5 stays the same, but I have a gut feeling Ehlers will end up being the better player long term. Virtanen might suit the Canucks better though.

Why?

Just so BanTSN can talk about how attractive he thinks he is?

Methinks he doth protest too much.

I wouldn't mind fleecing a delusional GM that thinks he's playoff bound for a couple first round picks.

Anyone have Garth Snow's number?

After watching the Canada/Sweden game earlier, Nylander's skill is very evident. He did seem to float a lot coming back on defence (again, Paul Kariya in the BCHL) but made some good plays as well. It'll come down to how much the Canucks think a high skill player like him might have holes versus a more complete player with size (but a lower ceiling).

Ya he's still playing in junior. Its a projection.

Alot of centers on 1st lines aren't 1st line centers. With Horvats all around game if he gets put with Ehlers or MDC he will be fine.

Its the best we got.

Think we're better off trading Kesler for a better projected 1st line center.

Someone with insane passing size and a shot. See your point but yea

I think that people shy away from ehlers because he plays with drouin. they seem to think that his stats are in direct relation to drouins. this is not the case.

as stated before I wkuld be ecstatic if er draft

ekblad

bennett

reinhart

mdc

leon

I will be happy if we draft

virtanen

ehlers

nylander

ritchie

Im with you. Except if we take Nylander at 6th, and Ritchie, Ehlers and Virtanen are all still on the board, I wouldnt be doing cartwheels.

So here's what I thought from the U18 game today.

The players that impressed me most were Fleury, Vrana & Hawryluk

Fluery is just unreal, he's big, he smooth, he skates like the wind, he hits, he's extremely reliable, great as the top man on the PP, great passer, always makes the smart plays, was clearly a cut above all the other Dmen on the ice IMO. And overall was the most impressive player & the one that stood out the most out of anyone. Definitely top pairing potential.

Vrana was impressive from the Czech side, I love the way he hounded the puck, he's got great speed, great skating ability, he made really smart offensive plays, and had a two-way game aswell, he's one of the guys I wanted with our first when the playoffs were still a possibility. If we could still get him somehow that would be awesome.

Hawryluk I just liked his work ethic & all round game. Looked exactly like Santorelli out there. If McCann and Perlini played with the drive he did they would be slam dunk top 10 picks. This is someone we should be looking at with our other picks.

Perlini was invisible out there. I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall out of the top 15 come draft day honestly.

McCann was on and off, very inconsistent from shift to shift, I can see why he didn't have a bigger season like some thought he would. He would have a shift where he would really show case his great skills, he would be flying around, forechecking, making nice passes, then other shifts he would be floating.

Sanheim looked good, made good plays, really crafty offensively, nice hands, reliable defensively, got around well, good one on one, he started to make some mistakes in overtime, but he was playing alot at that point in the game. He's fast but his skating overall needs a bit of work IMO.

Bleackely one of the better Canada forward, he was very noticeable in all areas. I liked his forechecking, he made good defensive plays, showed some good offensive skill, I'm really hoping he's around at our 2nd rounder.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now last but not least, the most discussed guy in the game.... Jake Virtanen, I got some detailed thoughts here.

Virtanen he showed his skating abliity & power obviously. He showed the skill we knew he had. He showed a solid defensive presence, he was more aggressive in the defensive zone than I thought he would be. One thing I noticed is he is a very good passer. When he wants to pass.

The problem is he is always so focused on getting himself the goal & getting himself the prime chance. There were alot of times he would look off the obvious play for a perimeter shot that would leave me wondering "why did he do that?". Another example was on the PP, he got the puck and moved into the zone, and rather than getting set up, he just went with it, went wide, went around the net for a easily stopped wrap around, then it was cleared. He has his moments where the rushes are great, but he needs to stop sometimes and set some up rather than always going for the rush, cause the Czechs easily defended it, easily kept him to the outside, and he would just be forced into a weak wrap around. And while he showed physicality at times in the game, he wasn't as consistently as physical as I expected him to be.

He does play on the edge, which can be good, but he does go over the edge, we saw it with a really bad penalty at the end of the first and Craig Buttons brought up a moment in the game where he was slashing a guy after the whistle, just stuff like that you can't do, those are bad penalties when called, but playing on that edge can be a valuable asset in the playoffs if he doesn't cross it.

One last thing, man Travis Konecny looked great. He's going to be a top 5 pick next year easily. Should be a great NHLer. Barzal looked good too, not as good though, he tried to do too much at times, and the winning goal was really a microcosm of how he played IMO.

Fleury looked great at the under 18. Will definitely go top 10 in the draft.

Nylander is showing his promise.... 16 points to Virtanens 5 at the U-17s right now.

:I know I know... Size, hometown kid, blah blah blah. Dont get me wrong, I really like those traits as well, but we you have the option of scooping one of the most talented centers at the draft, you make it happen.

I believe that as far as pure skill goes, Nylander is right there with Reinhart. Hes been rated in the top 5 for most of the last year. Draisaitl clearly has the size miss match which should bode well for him in the league, and had a fantastic season in the dub.

Also people shouldnt underestimate the fact that Nylander has been a child playing against men for two seasons.... Youre now seeing what he can do vs his own age group... Completely pick them apart at times.... and these are the best in the world at that age....

How many of those points came against the good teams?

Think we're better off trading Kesler for a better projected 1st line center.

Someone with insane passing size and a shot. See your point but yea

We should trade Kesler for Pouliot and a 1st round pick in 2015. Then tank. Ritchie this year and a top 10 pick in 2015 + another 2015 pick from the Pens = rebuild complete.

We should trade Kesler for Pouliot and a 1st round pick in 2015. Then tank. Ritchie this year and a top 10 pick in 2015 + another 2015 pick from the Pens = rebuild complete.

I only like doing that if we can get more pieces for Edler too

Archived