The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Its because no player has the speed to avoid checks completely. Size and skating strength come into play. This isnt about being soft its about having players that can win puck battles and have the skill to create chances and offense.

We dont want ritchie because hes big we want him because he has a skill set that can score and pass and process the game in the body of a tank

Yup, Kapanen is great at doing those things, strengths in his game.

These aren't valid points against what Herbets said.

Highly doubt Vancouver will have enough patience for another Power-forward to develop, hopefully no riots if he gets picked.

As I have stated mroe than a few times.

Honestly anyone we pick not named Ritchie, Dal Colle, Ekblad, Virtanen, Draisatl or Reinhart will spend time in the minors, and of these 6 only 2 of them have a chance of making the team full time should we draft them and would most likely get their 9 games and go back to develop

We have a luxury of both a vet core that can compete still and an apparent logjam in specific positions that allow us to develop over the next 2-3 years

Whoever we pick, power forward or currently undersized skilled player they'll spend time in the minors first and we'll be better for it

As I have stated mroe than a few times.

Honestly anyone we pick not named Ritchie, Dal Colle, Ekblad, Virtanen, Draisatl or Reinhart will spend time in the minors, and of these 6 only 2 of them have a chance of making the team full time should we draft them and would most likely get their 9 games and go back to develop

We have a luxury of both a vet core that can compete still and an apparent logjam in specific positions that allow us to develop over the next 2-3 years

Whoever we pick, power forward or currently undersized skilled player they'll spend time in the minors first and we'll be better for it

but that makes to much sense for canucks fans. They think that 6th overall pick is going to be an immediate impact player and will help them win the cup next year. Kind of like mackinnion

I get the idea you need size especially when you have dirty teams like LA in your division. However, the objective of the game is still to score and win so you need guys that can put the puck in the net which is what we are missing. Ritchie and Virtanen won't address our main concern of lack of scoring. They are NOT players you build around but rather complimentary pieces like Jensen. We need a guy like Ehlers or Kaspanen. I get the concern with Nylander but I think Ehlers is worth the gamble and Kaspanen is just a really safe pick.

Some people like Euros because they look at central scouting and say "we could draft a 6-8 NA skater or we could draft a 1-3 Euro skater". Some people think because players are at the top of the one list they must be better than the player a few spots down the other list. Sad but true.

People like Euros because they look at central scouting and say "we could draft a 6-8 NA skater or we could draft a 1-3 Euro skater". Some people think because players are at the top of the one list they must be better than the player a few spots down the other list. Sad but true.

Completely untrue actually.

People like the Euros because they are good hockey players, and sometimes some of them are actually better than the NA guys. (Shocking right?)

Yup, Kapanen is great at doing those things, strengths in his game.

These aren't valid points against what Herbets said.

Not against Burns. The skills to create offense and chances are possessed by every top 10 pick. Ritchie can actually engage in a puck battle against an NHLer

Kapanen can't, that is a universal law.

Poking the puck out of corners and having strong control of the puck with possession does not translate from Juniour and Euro leagues into an NHL playoff series.

Stick checking goes from about twice a play to 10 times a play into the NHL. That speed he has is about half as effective against a professional d core.

Size and the ability to physically push people out of the way translates better than what Kapanen is doing now.

Some people like Euros because they look at central scouting and say "we could draft a 6-8 NA skater or we could draft a 1-3 Euro skater". Some people think because players are at the top of the one list they must be better than the player a few spots down the other list. Sad but true.

That is the stupidest **** I have ever heard.

Not against Burns the skills to create offense and chances are possessed by every top 10 pick. Ritchie can actually engage in a puck battle against an NHLer

Kapanen can't that is a universal law.

I guess Datsyuk has never won a puck battle in his life due to his size then....

Merci, just because there is a prospect you don't like that doesn't mean you make up something completely and utterly false about them. Got it?

Merci.

Not against Burns the skills to create offense and chances are possessed by every top 10 pick. Ritchie can actually engage in a puck battle against an NHLer

Kapanen can't that is a universal law.

Oh really? Tell me when he played a game in the nhl? Let alone any pro league, kapenen has experience playing with men in the Finnish elite league so before you just spewing verbal diarrhea allover this thead could you please just think before you type? Thanks, bye.

I guess Datsyuk has never won a puck battle in his life due to his size then....

Merci, just because there is a prospect you don't like that doesn't mean you make up something completely and utterly false about them. Got it?

Merci.

exactly.

Merci.

Just because you compare Ehlers, Kapanen and Nylander to

Kane, Datsyuk, St Louis, Oshie,

doesnt mean they'll be anything but a beer leaguer.

Weird name I laugh at every time

Oh wow, if Kapanen is Datsyuk, then yes please! Oh wait, he's not. So I guess he'll still be out of the top 6? Yup.

This

even funnier every small player outside Patrick Kane is pretty much a 3rd round + pick

And they wanna use a top 6 overall. What a joke.

Just because you compare Ehlers, Kapanen and Nylander to

Kane, Datsyuk, St Louis, Oshie,

doesnt mean they'll be anything but a beer leaguer.

Weird name I laugh at every time

Just like you compare Ritchie to Kassian/Lucic/Shanahan? It doesn't mean anything either, he could also be nothing more than minor league fodder when all is said and done. Lol.

Archived