The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't want to start another draft thread. But I am very curious about this. So I'm just going to post it in here and hope to get quite a few replies. Will you be upset if the Canuck's pick one of the players you don't want?

It appears that there's a group that wants a European and another group that wants a North American. I realize that people aren't making their choices based on which continent but it simplifies things and helps explain the question. So if you like Virtanen or Ritchie would you not like Ehlers or Nylander if we draft them?

Informal poll within a poll, nice.

I am excited to have a 6th overall pick and will always get behind any player who becomes Canuck property and trust management will make a good choice.

There have been some tough times over the years watching the team make their first pick. Michel Petit, I think it was, came out on the stage on crutches with both knees in casts.

And when Nonis & Co called out Patrick White, I was dumbfounded. Probably the most difficult pick to cheer for or even to follow. Thank goodness for Mike Gillis, we got something for him.

I don't want to start another draft thread. But I am very curious about this. So I'm just going to post it in here and hope to get quite a few replies. Will you be upset if the Canuck's pick one of the players you don't want?

It appears that there's a group that wants a European and another group that wants a North American. I realize that people aren't making their choices based on which continent but it simplifies things and helps explain the question. So if you like Virtanen or Ritchie would you not like Ehlers or Nylander if we draft them?

I won't be upset. I'm expecting it.

I think Nylander is the best long term project but I expect Ritchie.

Whatever happens we will get a good player. There's no reason not be happy.

I don't know where Brayden Point is ranked, guessing 2nd/3rd round. But we have to take that guy, he's got some Gallagher/Johnson in him.

Gritty, skilled, great work ethic and an endless gas tank.

Every team needs an energizer bunny, we might be the team that needs one the most.

Nylander's tournament ended today with a loss to the Americans. He led the tournament in scoring, but the majority of the points came in meaningless fashion while his team trounced some weaker competition.

He won't be in the top-5 in this draft based on what we've seen. I don't think he'll even be in the top-10.

The kid looks like the Swedish Coho to me.

Here's what i mean:

Player in question: Coho - Nylander

Right-Shooting Winger/Center: Check - Check

Offensively Skilled: Check - Check

Good shot: Check - Check

Speed looks good at junior level: Check - Check

Skating still not elite: Check - Check

Top point-scoring threat in U18 tournament: Check - Check

Not big: Check - Check

Not physical: Check - Check

Not a defensive factor: Check - Check

Reported to not have attitude issues: Check - Check

Still has had team/attitude-related issues: Check - Check

Rich kid: Check - Check

Father directly involved in career: Check - Check

Looks like a girl: Not really - Check

I don't think the Canucks want or need another Cody Hodgson, let lone a frail Swedish Cody Hodgson who looks like a girl.

JP_Rapperswill_-_RB_880207v530x800.jpg

Pass please.

At no point did Coho's skating ever look good

I don't know why you would pick nylander over ehlers.... anyone?

Ehlers if faster, just as skilled, more defensively responsible (pk duties for moose), plays a more NA game.

The only thing I can think of is that Nylander has the potential to put on more weight due to ehlers narrow shoulders. Ehlers is taller though....

so I don't see why you would take nylander over ehlers.

I think that people shy away from ehlers because he plays with drouin. they seem to think that his stats are in direct relation to drouins. this is not the case.

as stated before I wkuld be ecstatic if er draft

ekblad

bennett

reinhart

mdc

leon

I will be happy if we draft

virtanen

ehlers

nylander

ritchie

Problem with players like Ehlers and Kapanen and Nylander is they really need to dominate on a stupid scale before they're universally acknowledged to be the real deal.

If they skip along with the other top 10 it's a really big roll of the dice to see if they make the NHL, it isn't as true with bigger players with similar skill sets

Will one of them make the NHL and be a 30 goal scorer yes 80% yes and probably a 40% chance 2 of them do that.

But Ritchie is like a 85% chance at being Lucuc/Nash/Getzlaf esque, I refuse to pass on that for a 40 goal scorer with no defensive upside

I

Problem with players like Ehlers and Kapanen and Nylander is they really need to dominate on a stupid scale before they're universally acknowledged to be the real deal.

If they skip along with the other top 10 it's a really big roll of the dice to see if they make the NHL, it isn't as true with bigger players with similar skill sets

Will one of them make the NHL and be a 30 goal scorer yes 80% yes and probably a 40% chance 2 of them do that.

But Ritchie is like a 85% chance at being Lucuc/Nash/Getzlaf esque, I refuse to pass on that for a 40 goal scorer with no defensive upside

I agree with the risk of guys like this... I'd rather take a big guy myself.... but just saying between the smaller guys nylander, kapanen, ehlers with the 6th pick, how could we even consider anyone except ehlers?

**ONLY BASED OFF U18 performance... haven't seen these guys live except this tournament.

After watching the u18's the last few games on TSN I would be choked if we picked Perlini or Mcann. Both are not good enough for the 6th overall pick.

Perlini was a floater and basically invisible. Didn't even get to see much of his lazer shot. Got taken off the top line of Bleakley and Virtanen

Mcann was as touted... 200ft player and semi decent offensive potential. We already have guys as good or better in Horvat, Gaunce, Cassels. 6th pick should be more offensively gifted.

Virtanen was easily the most impressive of projected top 10's... tons of speed and a shot like no other. But I can see why people are questioning him. At times seemed to make bad decisions defensively and offensively. But he was more defensively aware than I thought and had the speed to back check at will and made some nice passes. What worried me the most was the lack of hitting and tenacity on the puck. He didn't seem to want it as much as guys like Bleakley, Point, Mcann and mostly relied on his speed and shot. So I guess it was really indicative of what the scouts are saying.

Edit: Forgot about Fleury... Just amazing. Probably the most consistent Canadian and excelled at all areas. Fast skater and a good first pass. After watching him I wouldn't be so opposed to picking him if I didn't want a top 6 forward so bad.

**ONLY BASED OFF U18 performance... haven't seen these guys live except this tournament.

After watching the u18's the last few games on TSN I would be choked if we picked Perlini or Mcann. Both are not good enough for the 6th overall pick.

Perlini was a floater and basically invisible. Didn't even get to see much of his lazer shot. Got taken off the top line of Bleakley and Virtanen

Mcann was as touted... 200ft player and semi decent offensive potential. We already have guys as good or better in Horvat, Gaunce, Cassels. 6th pick should be more offensively gifted.

Virtanen was easily the most impressive of projected top 10's... tons of speed and a shot like no other. But I can see why people are questioning him. At times seemed to make bad decisions defensively and offensively. But he was more defensively aware than I thought and had the speed to back check at will and made some nice passes. What worried me the most was the lack of hitting and tenacity on the puck. He didn't seem to want it as much as guys like Bleakley, Point, Mcann and mostly relied on his speed and shot. So I guess it was really indicative of what the scouts are saying.

Edit: Forgot about Fleury... Just amazing. Probably the most consistent Canadian and excelled at all areas. Fast skater and a good first pass. After watching him I wouldn't be so opposed to picking him if I didn't want a top 6 forward so bad.

Is Ritchie playing in the tournament? If so, how's he doing?

This probably won't happen but if we take Ritchie with our 6th and Fleury with 10th from Anaheim, I will be a pretty happy guy

How many 40 goal scorers has our franchise ever had? Not sure if you're serious but I think most of us would take a 40 goal scorer.

This probably won't happen but if we take Ritchie with our 6th and Fleury with 10th from Anaheim, I will be a pretty happy guy

me too....I would be OK with Ehlers too.

I have a feeling Fleury will be drafted before 10th though (especially if he has gotten the attention of scouts at the under 18 tourny).

I think it is possible that a Nylander, Kapanen or Virtanen may be available at the 10th spot.

Archived