The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Schroeder was ranked 5th by CSS in his draft year.

To JE, I guarantee I've watched more junior hockey this year than anyone that's posted. Ehlers and Nylander are perimeter players in the NHL, and far too risky of picks at 6.

Technically, Nylander didn't play junior hockey this year. He played in the Allsvenskan and then the SHL. Did you watch his games there?

And did you consider the average of the main draft rankings for Schroeder as compared to Nylander (and Ehlers) this draft? How about for other players that were ranked 5th overall or better by CSS but haven't panned out - was it because they were all small, perimeter players or were there 'safe' players in there too?

Pls stop comparing any prospect to Naslund or Bure. You will be extremely dissapointed if you do. No prospects will be anything like Naslund or Bure, and it won't even be close. If any prospect had a Naslund or Bure ceiling that player will be rated number or 1. Most of these prospects I believe will only top out as second line players, with Reinhart having a decent chance at becoming a 1st line centerman. I am not joking. this includes Dal Cole. and these are the players that are cleary ranked higher then the wimps such as Ehlers and Nylander!

im sure you thought when benn was drafted he wouldnt be a PPG. people can surprise you

Wonder how you guys think Ehlers or Nylander would look in the King vs Shark series.

Enough already with the fast shifty perimeter players. Just go and sign Raymond or Cammalleri.

At 6 it better be Ritchie or Virtanen or a top 5 dropper.

If you look at our youth we need some size that can win puck battles, drive the net and blast rockets.

Horvat Shinkaruk Kassian

Cassels Jensen Schroeder

Gaunce Fox Grenier

Its a good thing Ehlers isn't a perimeter player.

Those players would look like many players have, Gaborik, Pavelski, Nieto, Williams, exc

We can't build a team based on how 1 or 2 teams play, doing that is what lead us to this pick. Gotta take the best player.

Exactly, then why would anyone want to take a similar player at #6?

Those guys are as comparable to Raymond/Schroeder as Virtanen is comparable to Dale Weise.

Not a very good comparison at all.

Its a good thing Ehlers isn't a perimeter player.

Those players would look like many players have, Gaborik, Pavelski, Nieto, Williams, exc

We can't build a team based on how 1 or 2 teams play, doing that is what lead us to this pick. Gotta take the best player.

Those guys are as comparable to Raymond/Schroeder as Virtanen is comparable to Dale Weise.

Not a very good comparison at all.

In the Nhl, Ehlers will certainly be a perimeter player. The laws of physics demand it.

If we're taking the Bpa at 6, it won't be him. Nobody ranks him that high.

In the Nhl, Ehlers will certainly be a perimeter player. The laws of physics demand it.

Being a perimeter player isn't about size. He's not a perimeter player & will never be. Brendan Perlini is far bigger and much more of a perimeter player than Ehlers. Even Virtanen is more of a perimeter player.

Exactly man. I can't understand why this fan base would want another perimeter player after 3 years of an unproductive Raymond on an otherwise unbelievable team. I mean look at Schroeder, I support the kid, but it's not coming together 5 years after being drafted and 4 years pro. Taking the perimeter player is far too risky for a 6th pick.

I however, am more optimistic about our future with size and physicality. This is how I see the Canucks in 4 years:

Jensen - Kesler - Kassian

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Virtanen

Gaunce - Cassels - Fox

Archibald - Lain - Grenier

Every single player has bite. No more non-response to a flying elbow to D. Sedin's head.

10155902_10203929698750644_3629203653258

that doesn't really impress me a ton

Huge chance it will happen. Drasaitl apparently is not a very strong back checker.

Recently his thread is getting popular, the comparisons is that his skill set is like Anze Kopitar, his dangling and offensive skills, and somewhat of his size. Which is fine, but as we all know, Kopitar is a Selke calibre centerman. Fans whois seen him play and said good things about Drasaitl HOWEVER, despite having elite offensive abilities, his back checking abilities is nothing like Kopitars, and his physical play you can say is only so so at best in comparison to Kopitar, so on to other words, the only thing that is compariable is only offensive skills, puck handling abitlies, etc etc, but back checking and defensive skills is nothing like Kopitars.

Please kindly stop comparing Ehlers to Mackinnon. Just stop right there. think about what your saying right now, you a long with the other fans with Ehlers erections.

Stop for a second, when you guys compare Ehlers to Bure, Naslund or Mackinnon.

You have gone too far here.

As per their coach in Halifax, Ehlers is faster than Mc Kinnon. Second of all, he scored over 100 plus points in his draft year. Only Crosby, Brassard, Girioux , Huberdeau and Drouin have done that. Even MacKinnon couldnt pull it off.

So it stands to reason the guy is going to turn out similar to those guys with the exception of Crosby.

Scouts compare him to Kane. Scouts compare him to Droun, and MacKinnon. Current drafts now have him at #6. The draft is weak in its depth. Not the top 10.

Trying to invalidate the guy because you dont like the comparisons is useless . Whining about it resolves nothing. And using full blown ad hominem attacks 'erections' to invalidate his followers is childish and unnecessary.

In the end, its utterly irrelevant whether you like Ehlers or not. Choosing to take it personally and complain about those who do says far more about you than anyone else.

Wrong. The most current draft does exactly that. You know the rankings keep shifting until the draft right? . He is now ranked #5. Virtanen is ranked 8th.

http://thehockeywriters.com/2014-nhl-mock-draft-playoffs-edition/

However, there is no point if you are just going to spew mis information, compare the guy to players hes nothing like just to try to invalidate , then what is the point ?

Every time you are corrected you just run off to another thread and start spewing the same nonsense.

You consider hiding behind the internet using a fake name and acting belligerent fun? Get ahold of yourself.

I already told you to stop spitting vitriol at other prospects. Just go to the Virtranen thread and talk him up there. Or talk about him here.

Wrong. The most current draft does exactly that. You know the rankings keep shifting until the draft right? . He is now ranked #5. Virtanen is ranked 8th.

http://thehockeywriters.com/2014-nhl-mock-draft-playoffs-edition/

However, there is no point if you are just going to spew mis information, compare the guy to players hes nothing like just to try to invalidate , then what is the point ?

Every time you are corrected you just run off to another thread and start spewing the same nonsense.

You consider hiding behind the internet using a fake name and acting belligerent fun? Get ahold of yourself.

I already told you to stop spitting vitriol at other prospects. Just go to the Virtranen thread and talk him up there. Or talk about him here.

Shots_Fired *bangbang*

I agree with you though. You've changed my mind about this kid

His 100 points are amongst some pretty nasty players

Still standing by ma boi RItchie though

As I have stated...so very VERY many times before anyone we pick in this draft not named Ekblad, Reinhart, Draisatl or Ritchie* (* by virtue of size alone) is destined to sit in development for a few seasons. In Ehlers or Nylanders cases 3+ just again; based on size and a need to play against men in the AHL at least.

While Ehlers may even be the best player to come out of this draft, or Nylander (who I just do not want...at all nope nope nope) the most skilled; they have no choice but to sit in development growing because as stated entering in to this team in this division at less than what could be functionally called "full size" is asking for them to suffer the same issues as Brule did.

This fan club will NOT allow that to happen. They will call for blood the second such a high draft pick is not anchoring a top line and putting up 150+ points with a Selke and Norris nomination as well as a Calder in their rookie year.

The pressure alone of such a rabid market could hamper them.

Anyone we pick in this years draft needs to be developed for a time. So please people get it out of your heads that grabbing even one of the vaunted top 5 in this years draft at #6 is not helping this team for a minimum of 2 full seasons. Ehlers, Virtanen, Nylander, Bennett...

We pick the BPA for 5 years from now because that is when they're going to be the player we need. Not 2 years. We are not getting Dal Colle, Ekblad or Reinhart (who represent the top players for position in this years draft)

Ehlers will be a fine pick if EVERYONE comes in to this draft knowing that is his most likely timeline and what this team is facing. This year at #6 is all well and good.

But we face the same potential draft area next year as well. If Ehlers is the BPA in 5 years from now over Virtanen so be it. But something tells me Linden is doing the same thing for this and next years drafts.

Looking to the end of this core and at what this team needs moving forward.

Shots_Fired *bangbang*

I agree with you though. You've changed my mind about this kid

His 100 points are amongst some pretty nasty players

Still standing by ma boi RItchie though

Agreed. I have no problem with anyones pick really. I dont feel the need to go around spitting vitriol at them to get some kind of weird pleasure out of it. Its bizarre.

If we pick Ritchie, I will be satisfied and a lot of CDC will be as well. I am convinced that Ehlers and Nylander are all star talent.

As I have stated...so very VERY many times before anyone we pick in this draft not named Ekblad, Reinhart, Draisatl or Ritchie* (* by virtue of size alone) is destined to sit in development for a few seasons. In Ehlers or Nylanders cases 3+ just again; based on size and a need to play against men in the AHL at least.

While Ehlers may even be the best player to come out of this draft, or Nylander (who I just do not want...at all nope nope nope) the most skilled; they have no choice but to sit in development growing because as stated entering in to this team in this division at less than what could be functionally called "full size" is asking for them to suffer the same issues as Brule did.

This fan club will NOT allow that to happen. They will call for blood the second such a high draft pick is not anchoring a top line and putting up 150+ points with a Selke and Norris nomination as well as a Calder in their rookie year.

The pressure alone of such a rabid market could hamper them.

Anyone we pick in this years draft needs to be developed for a time. So please people get it out of your heads that grabbing even one of the vaunted top 5 in this years draft at #6 is not helping this team for a minimum of 2 full seasons. Ehlers, Virtanen, Nylander, Bennett...

We pick the BPA for 5 years from now because that is when they're going to be the player we need. Not 2 years. We are not getting Dal Colle, Ekblad or Reinhart (who represent the top players for position in this years draft)

Ehlers will be a fine pick if EVERYONE comes in to this draft knowing that is his most likely timeline and what this team is facing. This year at #6 is all well and good.

But we face the same potential draft area next year as well. If Ehlers is the BPA in 5 years from now over Virtanen so be it. But something tells me Linden is doing the same thing for this and next years drafts.

Looking to the end of this core and at what this team needs moving forward.

You should give the fans more credit. There are going to be few who want the players to play right away but most of us understand that almost all players out of the top 3 need time to develop. Sometimes it's one year, sometimes it's more.

We all have our own personal favourites for the 6th pick but once the Canucks draft their player, the majority of the fans will get behind him because, at the end of the day, we're cheering for the jersey not the player wearing it.

Archived