The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bottom line is that it would be a pretty big fail for the Canucks to draft a non-franchise, non-elite undersized talent in this draft, considering the growing importance of the so-called rebuild phase. Unless the plan is to continue being trounced by SoCal long-term. But if that's the plan, then part two of the plan would be to have plenty of empty seats for plenty of seasons.

The Canucks have more pressing needs than adding a non-franchise, non-elite undersized talent who's comparable to Shinkaruk in terms of upside, role and position. They should probably address them.

What planet do you live on? Have you been watching the same team, and scouting the analyzing the same prospects, as the rest of us?

According to that picking 4th is almost the same as picking 6th in terms of odds.

Correct. But you can see the average rating for the 6th pick is 5.11 whereas for the 4th pick it is 5.33. Very similar, even more of a reason to trade into the top 3 - those prospects are normally on another level.

Ossi Vaananen, Merci, and TOML are certainly interesting characters.

You forgot BanTSN

Save it for yourself. I tried to be reasonable here, but rationality gets thrown out the window by posters who have migrated from Canucks talk into my beloved prospects forum. Those who have seen me post over the last 2 years know I am reasonable and intelligent, but when I see such dribble and nonsense of posters like Absent and Smashian hijacking this thread then they deserve a similar level of immaturity. I've tried to make reasonable argument's here, but some meatstick comes on and makes a list of their top 30, and we're supposed to pretend it's verbatim.

So what I have done for the last several months is a level of trolling limited solely to this thread, to make people like absent feel special and intelligent. Unfortunately you have fallen for the same trap. I pity you sir.

------

As per the thread itself, I have made it known that I prefer Virtanen, and I'm sticking to that. In all honesty I can see the upside of Ehlers, and I'm not opposed to drafting him, it's just I feel smaller players would be highly ineffective in this division. My preference is to draft Dal Colle if he or any of the top 5 becomes available. I feel that is unlikely.

In previous threads, dependent upon where we drafted throughout the season I have liked Scherbak at 20+, McCann at 10-15 and Sanheim/McKeown if we were to take a defenseman.

Anyways, I'll go back to my trolling and continue laughing as 90% of CDC falls for it.

Just leave me out of it.

I'm hardly highjacking the thread and I haven't been immature about anything. You probably post more in it nowadays than I do.

I was on him for calling nylander out on his appearance. wtf are you talking about chief?

Well Pocahauntus...I was talking about the nasty crap..continuall put downs and basic turdism...that has been going on around this fracking draft...whatever...I wont post in another draft thread...final words...Ritchie...Ehlers. first round

Well Pocahauntus...I was talking about the nasty crap..continuall put downs and basic turdism...that has been going on around this fracking draft...whatever...I wont post in another draft thread...final words...Ritchie...Ehlers. first round

This subforum used to be the least crazy place in CT.

Not this year.

Yep. Much different, I remember there being little talk about the draft, and having to search around for the draft threads to give input I guys I liked here & there. And really only the people who had a great passion for following prospects would post regularly.

Much different place this year.

Correct. But you can see the average rating for the 6th pick is 5.11 whereas for the 4th pick it is 5.33. Very similar, even more of a reason to trade into the top 3 - those prospects are normally on another level.

I appreciate the info. I have gathered something a little more compact . Let me know what you think. I have taken the drafts from 2003 to 2011 (last 2 are too new) and listed each list by draft position. All we have to do now is figure out what value to assess to them.

1 Fleury , Ovi, Crosby Johnson, kane, stamkos, tavares, hall, RNH
2)stall Malkin Ryan Staal JVR Doughty Hedman Sequin Landeskog
3)Horton Barker Johnson Toews turris Bogosian Duchesne Gudbranson Huberdeau
4)Zherdev Ladd Pouliot Backstrom Hickey Pietrangelo Kane Johansen Larsson
5)Vanek Wheeler Price Kessel AlznerSchenn Schenn Nino Strome
6)Michalek Montoya Brule Brassard Gagner Filatov OEL Connolly Zibanejad
7)Suter Olesz Skille Okposo Voracek Wilson Kadri Skinner Scheifele
8)Coburn Picard Setoguchi Mueller Hamil Boedker Glennie Burmistrov Couturier
9)Phaneuf Smid Lee Sheppard Couture Bailey Cowen Granlund Hamilton
10)Kostitsyn Valibik Bourdon Frolik Ellerby Hodgson MPS McLlrath Brodin

I appreciate the info. I have gathered something a little more compact . Let me know what you think. I have taken the drafts from 2003 to 2011 (last 2 are too new) and listed each list by draft position. All we have to do now is figure out what value to assess to them.

1 Fleury , Ovi, Crosby Johnson, kane, stamkos, tavares, hall, RNH
2)stall Malkin Ryan Staal JVR Doughty Hedman Sequin Landeskog
3)Horton Barker Johnson Toews turris Bogosian Duchesne Gudbranson Huberdeau
4)Zherdev Ladd Pouliot Backstrom Hickey Pietrangelo Kane Johansen Larsson
5)Vanek Wheeler Price Kessel AlznerSchenn Schenn Nino Strome
6)Michalek Montoya Brule Brassard Gagner Filatov OEL Connolly Zibanejad
7)Suter Olesz Skille Okposo Voracek Wilson Kadri Skinner Scheifele
8)Coburn Picard Setoguchi Mueller Hamil Boedker Glennie Burmistrov Couturier
9)Phaneuf Smid Lee Sheppard Couture Bailey Cowen Granlund Hamilton
10)Kostitsyn Valibik Bourdon Frolik Ellerby Hodgson MPS McLlrath Brodin

This definitely offer a more qualitative insight. Good work. I really hope we move up into the top 3. Look at the Oilers they have had three 1st picks and one 7th pick and they might make playoffs next year. Imagine how long our rebuild will be if we don't get into the top 3.

IMO every indicator shows that Nylander is a good bet to adapt to both the NA game and NA lifestyle easily. He played and lived here before, and he has familial experience to draw upon in making the adjustment.

He has the skills and every advantage. He should succeed. If he fails to establish himself as an NHL player it will only be because he wasn't mentally ready to do what was necessary. This includes learning to play responsibly defensively, learning to take the increased hitting, and being patient over years to work his way into a role.

I do think another year in Sweden would benefit him but he could be a good bet to be a 19 yo AHLer. How long he needs there will be up to him.

Yeah if we take him give him another year in Sweden I hate rushing prospects.

I can admit when im wrong, and I think we should definitely take him at 6th or we might be regretting it for years....

Me too I wanted Ehlers but now switched. I dont think he will be there at 6 I think we will land Dal Colle

This definitely offer a more qualitative insight. Good work. I really hope we move up into the top 3. Look at the Oilers they have had three 1st picks and one 7th pick and they might make playoffs next year. Imagine how long our rebuild will be if we don't get into the top 3.

Agreed. Lets cross our fingers !!! :)

Archived