The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So whats up with Craigs list, it's so crazy!

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Tuch Goldobin Scherbak Virtanen all second round?

Sanhiem top 10?

He's probably trying to project how they actually end up as nhlers. Thinking sanheim is going to be a steal so he picks him top ten and goes told ya so. Thinks Virtanen will end up like Torres so says 2nd round for the I told ya so.

They have ufa players as an option though. Heatly, vanek, penner, legwand just to name a few.

Who would all be more expensive than Tanev at ~$2.5m-$3m and Schroeder at ~$750k. They also need help on D, hence Tanev (though Hansen would also be an option as a 2 way forward).

They get two good, young players that can play now and are cheap (plus maybe say our 3rd). They want to improve now, not in 2+ years.

Theres more on the market than Tanev, Schroeder or hansen. Islanders don't trade that pick without a big return.

Griff comes into the line up next year and they need a first line LW and a second line winger more than they need a second pairing D.

Schroeder has little to zero value to them as well. Tavares, Frans, Bailey, Brock, Strome are all down the middle

Theres more on the market than Tanev, Schroeder or hansen. Islanders don't trade that pick without a big return.

Griff comes into the line up next year and they need a first line LW and a second line winger more than they need a second pairing D.

Schroeder has little to zero value to them as well.

But they do need a second pairing D and they also need a good 3rd line two-way forward (Hansen). I've said as much that we'd need to add to that but the 10th AND Schroder seems overpayment IMO. Don't undervalue what bonafide, young NHL'ers are worth though.

FWIW, Schroeder was Nicklas Bo Hunter's idea, not mine. He might take some of the sting off not picking an offensive forward at 5 for themselves but otherwise I tend to agree his value here is limited. I was just running with his proposal.

But they do need a second pairing D and they also need a good 3rd line two-way forward (Hansen). I've said as much that we'd need to add to that but the 10th AND Schroder seems overpayment IMO. Don't undervalue what bonafide, young NHL'ers are worth though.

FWIW, Schroeder was Nicklas Bo Hunter's idea, not mine. He might take some of the sting off not picking an offensive forward at 5 for themselves but otherwise I tend to agree his value here is limited. I was just running with his proposal.

Yeah thats fine, my point is, you don't trade one of your top tradable assets for spare parts. You fix your first problem first and that would be a first and second line winger.

Tanev wouldn't be that much of an upgrade over there current young D Visnovsky, Hamonic, Donovan, de haan and Reinhart who had an excellent run this last year.

Clutterbuck and Martin make Hansen not that big of a trading piece for NYI either.

I realistically see them keeping that pick and drafting Dal Colle who fits that teams needs perfectly. Or if they do move it, it's for immediate help on the first line. I really feel a deal with the Oil and sending Yak.

Vanek did say he really enjoy playing with the Islander and would consider going back there. If MIN says no to him, he could resign there.

Vanek Tavares Grabner

Yakupov NIelsen Okposo

Martin Bailey Clutterbuck

that top nine isn't too bad. Strome could still slide into the line up as well.

Yeah thats fine, my point is, you don't trade one of your top tradable assets for spare parts. You fix your first problem first and that would be a first and second line winger.

Tanev wouldn't be that much of an upgrade over there current young D Visnovsky, Hamonic, Donovan, de haan and Reinhart who had an excellent run this last year.

Clutterbuck and Martin make Hansen not that big of a trading piece for NYI either.

I realistically see them keeping that pick and drafting Dal Colle who fits that teams needs perfectly. Or if they do move it, it's for immediate help on the first line.

And who's giving up their current 1st line W for a pick that has nothing more than promise to fill the exact same role?

Again, don't undervalue a legit, capable, proven and developed NHL'er. The NYI want to get better now.

The one thing with Tanev is he's a righty, and of the group of Isles D you named, only Hamonic shoots right handed. Everyone else is on the left.

Sure, they can make do with guys playing their off side, but why when you can have a steady and capable defender play on his proper side?

I agree that Schroeder makes little sense for the Isles, but they wouldn't frown at the 10th. I've already proposed what might be a better package for both teams earlier, but there'd have to be players coming back for them they could use now or in the very near future for them to give up the 5th.

The one thing with Tanev is he's a righty, and of the group of Isles D you named, only Hamonic shoots right handed. Everyone else is on the left.

Sure, they can make do with guys playing their off side, but why when you can have a steady and capable defender play on his proper side?

Canucks don't seem to care to much about that. Sure it's something to think about but not worth moving a top 5 pick.

We traded a young NHL starter for a top 9 pick. Tanev is strong defensively be he's got a long way to go to become a top 2 pairing D and not worth a top 5 pick.

Not going to knock tanev, he's played great. but he's hasn't really been asked to play a huge role in anchoring our D. he has at times with injuries but thats not whats been asked of him. We still got 4 big D ahead of him with that kind of pressure on their shoulders. He can go out get 6 goals and 17 points and everyone is happy with him. A young alex elder thrived in the low pressure role, same with Dion. but once they were counted on being the go to player and having to produce, they cracked and their games fell apart. Not saying that happens to Tanev just he has a ways to go to really have value in this league.

If Canucks can trade Kes for Etem and 10th 24th overall then I see no need for any trades to move up or down.

I'm flip flopping for NYlander here. If he's there at 6 you take him. I was onboard for Ritchie but there's an outside chance you snag him at 10, or else Virtanen.

Or, maybe you can trade up from 10 to 8 which would be less expensive IMO.

I am now convinced that Nylander has the potential to be the best in the draft. If he's off the board then MDC is ours anyway, maybe even Bennett if some crazy team bites on Ehlers.

Six is actually a terrific spot to stay put at because this draft will be full of surprises. Even LD could fall.

And who's giving up their current 1st line W for a pick that has nothing more than promise to fill the exact same role?

Again, don't undervalue a legit, capable, proven and developed NHL'er. The NYI want to get better now.

I mentioned this early but I see Oil making that move. It would be a great opportunity to get bigger in the top 6 and draft Leon and Dal Colle.

Oilers want to win now too...But having small a top 6 like they have now doesn't do that. Is saves them from having to spend 6 million in cap next year for his contract and if they could sign one or two vet UFAs Legwand, Jokinen, stempniak, Vrbata or even a long shot Callahan their team would get much better. Theres even talk of trading Gagner for RJ which would help this team not have to force there new picks into the league and produce right away.

I mentioned this early but I see Oil making that move. It would be a great opportunity to get bigger in the top 6 and draft Leon and Dal Colle.

Oilers want to win now too...But having small a top 6 like they have now doesn't do that.

Having no veteran leadership, no defense and questionable goaltending also doesn't do that :P

I'd imagine the Oil would be in the same boat as the Isles. They want/need current NHL players, not future ones.

Having no veteran leadership, no defense and questionable goaltending also doesn't do that :P

I'd imagine the Oil would be in the same boat as the Isles. They want/need current NHL players, not future ones.

maybe they'd be interested in like hansen 3rd round 6th overall for their 3rd overall.

I didnt even submit this yet and I already realized this is a dumb trade for both sides. move along folks nothing to see here.

You keep replying before I finish my edits. haha.

Hall -Nuge -Eberle

Perron- RJ -Vrbata

is just as good as a top 6 as what oilers are icing right now. It would likely even be more effective having that veteran leadership.

In 2-4 years

Hall- Nuge -Eberle

Perron -Leon- Dal colle/Ritchie

Also looks really good.

You keep replying before I finish my edits. haha.

Hall -Nuge -Eberle

Perron- RJ -Vrbata

is just as good as a top 6 as what oilers are icing right now. It would likely even be more effective having that veteran leadership.

In 2-4 years

Hall- Nuge -Eberle

Perron -Leon- Dal colle/Ritchie

Also looks really good.

Do they want to/can they afford to wait another 2-4 years though...?

I'm thinking some folks get fired before then and fan base gets pretty grumbly or worse, disinterested.

Do they want to/can they afford to wait another 2-4 years though...?

I'm thinking some folks get fired before then and fan base gets pretty grumbly or worse, disinterested.

Not really but having Yak in their line up doesn't get them better. They need to move him to fill team needs.

Canucks don't make the final in 94 with bure type players alone. They needed Linden and Courtnall types. Oilers don't have that.

So they might as well start building for that and in the mean time start icing a more effective playoff pushing line up (trading for RJ and signing a vet like vrbrata) because the top 6 they have now are all extremely skilled but they are all the same player and will never be a winning line up.

Nothing they can do makes them a cup contender next year, not with the current top 6. So either trade someone now and build to be a contender in 3-4 years or be content with where they are at now finishing bottom 5 every year.

And realistically Oilers D prospects are still 2-4 years away before becoming effect NHLers

Archived