The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] NHL withheld Steve Moore's disability payment unless Bertuzzi lawsuit dropped

Precisely this. Was Moore projected to make anywhere near $38M over his career. No. But he invested all his time and effort into making a career in the NHL and what happened to him, while a lot of moving pieces involved (ie: Bertuzzi, pile-up, etc), was not his fault; regardless about his blindside hit to Naslund. What he lost out on is exactly what Timberz has referred to. An immediate career in the NHL and any future opportunities.

Actually, he didn't invest all of this time in hockey.

He invested a good deal of it in getting a law degree from Harvard.

<p>I'm very surprised by a lot of the statements in this thread and a lack of compassion for a guy who lost his entire career to a thug in Bertuzzi. Just because Bertuzzi was a Canuck when it happened shouldn't mean he's gets a waiver. One statement above concluded it was just part of the game. Wrong! This was not part of the game but rather a deliberate attempt by Bertuzzi to injure another player. I am sure Bertuzzi only wanted to fight but he is responsible for his actions that caused this career ending injury. If you're holding up a store and your gun accidentally goes off and injures the cashier you can't say "I was just trying to rob the place and didn't mean to hurt anyone". The fact is you did. Calling Moore greedy is absurd. The man had a debillitating injury. Everything he worked so hard to achieve in the NHL was taken from him by Bertuzzi. If uniforms were reversed and Moore was the Canuck who got injured you guys would be calling it the other way. Case in point - every time we play you guys now there is always at least a comment or two in the game day thread about Keith's hit on Sedin a few years ago and how revenge must be enacted. Now imagine if Sedin's career ended from the elbow hit? Would you be calling Sedin selfish for suing Keith and the Blackhawks? I doubt it. Bottom line - try to take the fan glasses off when evaluating the Bertuzzi / Moore case - show some compassion. I feel for the guy who got injured and it was a terrible thing to happen. Moore doesn't deserve the criticism he is getting here.</p>

<p>I'm very surprised by a lot of the statements in this thread and a lack of compassion for a guy who lost his entire career to a thug in Bertuzzi. Just because Bertuzzi was a Canuck when it happened shouldn't mean he's gets a waiver. One statement above concluded it was just part of the game. Wrong! This was not part of the game but rather a deliberate attempt by Bertuzzi to injure another player. I am sure Bertuzzi only wanted to fight but he is responsible for his actions that caused this career ending injury. If you're holding up a store and your gun accidentally goes off and injures the cashier you can't say "I was just trying to rob the place and didn't mean to hurt anyone". The fact is you did. Calling Moore greedy is absurd. The man had a debillitating injury. Everything he worked so hard to achieve in the NHL was taken from him by Bertuzzi. If uniforms were reversed and Moore was the Canuck who got injured you guys would be calling it the other way. Case in point - every time we play you guys now there is always at least a comment or two in the game day thread about Keith's hit on Sedin a few years ago and how revenge must be enacted. Now imagine if Sedin's career ended from the elbow hit? Would you be calling Sedin selfish for suing Keith and the Blackhawks? I doubt it. Bottom line - try to take the fan glasses off when evaluating the Bertuzzi / Moore case - show some compassion. I feel for the guy who got injured and it was a terrible thing to happen. Moore doesn't deserve the criticism he is getting here.</p>

I agree.

He also doesn't deserve $38 million.

I'm no expert in the matter but I'm under the impression that results of punitive litigation are based somewhat off of a person's ability to earn in the future not solely by monies lost.

Since he has a Harvard law degree he should be financially viable going forward.

$38 million is just an asking price. He's got to be compensated for pain and suffering - he's got some permanent disabilities from that. In addition he needs to be compensated for his loss of professional career. He'll get a nice settlement - it won't be $38M but I'm thinking $15M is where they'll settle. He should be set up for life after having gone through that.

"Since he has a Harvard law degree he should be financially viable going forward.

If his symptoms still persist, he maybe unable to work as a lawyer, this will add to loss of future earnings.

Potentially. That will be particularly tricky to prove though. They will have to provide evidence of permanent damage to his brain or long term disabling pain. It'll be interesting to see if that is the direction his counsel takes or not.

I was making the comparison regarding other people who have no employable skills.

I wonder if the defendants have put a P.I. on him for the last 6 years to bolster their case.

Precisely this. Was Moore projected to make anywhere near $38M over his career. No. But he invested all his time and effort into making a career in the NHL and what happened to him, while a lot of moving pieces involved (ie: Bertuzzi, pile-up, etc), was not his fault; regardless about his blindside hit to Naslund. What he lost out on is exactly what Timberz has referred to. An immediate career in the NHL and any future opportunities.

Or he could have blown his knee out the next game he played, or maybe sent to the AHL at the start of the next season...etc...etc...

This lawsuit is about money and how much he can get.

Bertuzzi was punished by the NHL and served his time for his actions.

Moore is not without blame.

He chose a career in a sometimes violent sport, one where you can get injured any game.

He chose to not take his licks from Bertuzzi - maybe if he fought him for 10 seconds he wouldn't have been injured.

No different than if I call my co-workers wife a dog in heat and he punches me and knocks a tooth out - in other words, my actions or in-actions are also responsible.

For others, Bertuzzi was NOT deliberately trying to end his career - he was trying to punch him, to serve up the "code" the NHL has in their own policing of events in a game.

Moore was well aware of that.

Just because I disagree with the "lawsuit" doesn't mean I don't have compassion.

Unlike others here, I have no wants to see a player injured, Keith for example.

I don't "hate" Keith.

I'm angry with what he did to Sedin - but I don't want to see Keith's career ended.

TBH, I wish he was on our team.

Oh, and if Sedin's career ended on that play, I would say the same thing.

The lack of compassion also has to do with before the incident he delivered a headshot to Naslund who suffered a concussion and was never the same player...Much like Keith's elbow on Daniel...Difference is Bertuzzi a lot of time trying to get Moore to fight him and he stayed away...Who is to say the dogpile is not what caused the disability? Bert deserves to have to compensate him but what Moore is demanding will never happen

$38 Million is the number his legal team settled on. There will have been a fair amount of work put into determining that number. It's not like his lawyers sat back and threw darts to determine what they would go for. They picked a number they feel they can prove. Maybe they can't but they will have a case that lands on $38 Million.

A lot of times it amounts to what a defendant can afford to pay without breaking them. How well insured they are is also a factor.

It's not as simple as saying he would have earned this amount from hockey etc. It also factors in costs of treatments, costs of living with a disability, any loss of quality of life etc.

It's negligence on the part of the Canucks and Bertuzzi. I share a home town with Todd Bertuzzi so this is tough one for me. This was a dark moment in the history of the Canucks. It was the end of that era with Naslund et al. It all ended that night. They got carried away. They said and did stupid things. The whole team could not let the hit on Naslund go and Bertuzzi and the Canucks are going to face those consequences this fall.

I feel bad for Steve Moore. I'm sure he would have just preferred to play out his career and have the hockey establishment open to him for future positions such as management. He has the degree for it. With the way the Canucks, the NHL and the NHLPA have all behaved in the wake of the incident all those doors are closed.

And he's not the only player suing for injury. 200 former players are in the process of suing the NHL over concussion issues. The NFL just paid out $765 Million is a lawsuit to former players regarding the same issue.

Maybe the leagues and player's associations need to start taking note and taking care of each other or more and more of this will happen. Precedents have been set. Lawyers see blood in the water. They are going for it. And the NHL won't be able to absorb a huge financial hit like the NFL did.

I don't understand the "he's a lawyer and has his degree so he can still work and support himself that way". That's avoiding the issue. Here in the United States we have social security disability that people apply for if they get hurt. If someone is under 50 it doesn't matter what their job or skills were before, the Disability office will say that if you can do any work at all then you are fine. My uncle was a young hotshot corporate exec at age 39 and on the fast track in the business world. All that ended with a bad car accident. He survived, lost his job and career, applied for disability and was turned down. The rationale given? "He could be a greeter at Walmart". Could he have done that work? Sure. Do you think it's fair to go from being a corporate exec to a greeter at Walmart? Nope. Same thing with Moore here. He was a pro athlete and that was ended. So when I hear people dismiss the whole thing as "just be a lawyer" it reminds me of the "just be a greeter at Walmart" response that my uncle got.

I honestly wonder if it will get to court and if it does then it will get real interesting to be sure.

If it went before a jury I can tell you I would have no sympathy for Bertuzzi after I saw the video clips the prosecutor would show me of Moore's life since and the daily struggles he endures. The defense would be wise to settle. I know I would give Moore as much as I possibly could.

If it went before a jury I can tell you I would have no sympathy for Bertuzzi after I saw the video clips the prosecutor would show me of Moore's life since and the daily struggles he endures. The defense would be wise to settle. I know I would give Moore as much as I possibly could.

See, that's different, that I agree with, take ownership for your mistakes.

It's interesting that this case is not being heard in BC... It's interesting that Moore tried to have it in Colorado but instead is having it in Ontario... what the frack does it have to do with Ontario? Their courts should throw it out and have it transferred to a BC court.

I completely think what Bertuzzi did was wrong, but really it was wrong in a criminal way... he should have been tried in criminal court.

Moore did not get that justice and is seeking justice through a civil court and that's fine but it should be in BC Courts not Ontario.

Here in BC there are limits placed on the amount one can sue for and think there are good reasons for that. 38 Million is a ridiculous sum to arrive at.

I hope Moore wins the lawsuit but awarded something reasonable in the 5-10 million dollar range. But I don't blame Moore for going for as much as he can get... really he should if those avenues are open to him.

I suppose either way Bertuzzi will get off lucky without jail time. Though I think out of whatever award they give to Moore the cost of the case for the Ontario tax payers should be paid for by Moore.

For the 17 millionth time people: MOORE DOES NOT HAVE A LAW DEGREE!!!!!! If you insist on participating in this particular two minute hate could you please at least TRY to get the facts straight.

What is his degree then? That's what I've seen often reported.

It really doesn't pertain to the discussion though.

/ He has a Harvard degree in Environmental Science. My mistake.

Archived