The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] "Teams eyeing down Kesler & Edler" - Ownership prevented Kesler trade

Brayden schenn, sam morin, 2nd round pick from philly?

Shenn, Morin, and a 1st. Guys these teams need to OVERPAY at this point or forget it. Kyper said the asking price is a young roster player, a blue chip prospect(is Morin really even that?), and a 1st.

Funny, because analysts say the Canucks screwed up when they didn't ditch Schneider on deadline day. (When one playoff team at the time might have been interested in a goaltender.)

Analysts...

I think at that point he was trying to trade Luongo still. Chances are right now teams are only offering their scraps, pieces they don't need for a play off run. Imagine what we could have traded during our play-off run, not a lot, maybe coho. All I'm saying is during the draft, you can target a certain team in the top 10 (maybe top 5?) and also gank their top blue chip prospect. Imagine adding two top nhl ready prospects (of your choice) to this team?

I wanted to go to the last page but I might as well contribute with an essay.

Edler plays best when he plays his simple, yet

effective game. He doesn't have the skating to be an Erhoff type and that's what AV and Torts have forced him to do and surprise, it hasn't worked. He's played really well in the Olympics and the following games because he went back to his game. If he played with anger, he'd be nearly unstoppable (that Hertl BS suspension will make sure we never see that).

Keep Edler. He's young, has the best offensive capabilities and can be a rock defensively. Consistency is his biggest problem and Torts has to adjust his coaching to accommodate Edler.

Trade Bieksa and if possible, Garrison (yes I know, hometown + NTC). If Kesler is indeed traded, it marks a rebuild/retool that will put Kevin at 35-36 before it's done and he won't be effective then. If he wants a Stanley cup, it unfortunately won't be with the Canucks.

Garrison I was a big fan of last year and the beginning of this year, but his skating and lack of physicality relative to his size is infuriating. He's got awesome defensive awareness, his Garribomb, and a good stick, but he's too easy to play against if he doesn't kick the ass out of players in the defensive zone. I don't see him getting traded because he took a discount to play in his hometown, but it needs to be knocked into his head that he can be so much more of a difference maker.

Jeez I'm all over the place here. I think these work.

Kesler for Wennberg + Anisimov + 1st 2014 or if bidding is highest: Wennberg + Jenner + 1st 2014

Reason for Columbus:

Forward depth: Gaborik, Kesler, Horton, Anismov/Jenner, Johanson, Umberger, Atkinson, Dubinsky etc. Absolutelt brilliant forward depth to go along. Give to get Columbus.

Having Wennberg learn from fellow Swedish Twins would be perfect. And reuniting the Jenner Jenson combo from the OHL.

Bieksa to Detroit/Toronto/Philly. They need RHD, especially Toronto and Detroit.

1st + B level prospect. Again, bidding goes up at deadline so this could increase.

1st + Sheahan/Pulkkinen. I don't mention Jurco, Tatar, Mantha or Nyqvist because Detroit won't give those guys up in my opinion. If prospect goes to Jurco, Gillis takes the deal instantly.

1st + Cousins from Philly would be sweet if Holmgreen was ballsy enough to offer it.

1st + Biggs/Percy + cap dump would be good too.

To Pittsburgh:

Hansen for 1st (26-30) + b prospect. Why? Because the bottom 6 for the Pens is a joke with only Sutter being the difference maker. Pens don't need anymore prospects when they're all in now. A first is steep but Paul freaking Gaustad for a first. Plus, Hansen is on a beautiful contract. B prospect because trade deadline ;) obviously not a deal breaker but something Gillis could wedge out.

What we gain:

Wennberg

Jenner/Anisimov

CLB 1st 2014

Jurco/Pulkkinen/Sheahan

DET 1st 2014

PIT 1st 2014

B prospect.

Should have made my own thread :P

I think at that point he was trying to trade Luongo still. Chances are right now teams are only offering their scraps, pieces they don't need for a play off run. Imagine what we could have traded during our play-off run, not a lot, maybe coho. All I'm saying is during the draft, you can target a certain team in the top 10 (maybe top 5?) and also gank their top blue chip prospect. Imagine adding two top nhl ready prospects (of your choice) to this team?

Problem is Kesler has a say where he goes. Not only will he not be in the running for the cup in the last 2 years of his contract, he won't be as attractive to throw big money at if he's not scoring as much on a bad team in his 30s. Obviously he's still going to command a solid contract but maybe not as big or long as if he has a great 2 seasons on a good team.

Right now gives Kesler himself a good look at playoff bound teams and it also gives the team acquiring him 3 playoff runs with the playoff warrior as opposed to 2.

Also it gives us a chance to see what we got with let's say couturier. How our players gel with him and what we target going into next year.

He's also the biggest name out there right now as opposed to the offseason when teams have multiple options and free agents to go for. when we're commanding their best young player best prospect and their first, they can look elsewhere to boost their lineup.

If Pits wants Kesler, Maatta has to be included. Bennet is included because we need a a pure offensive high end prospect back instead of a 1st round pick (27-30) that will take 2+ years to develop. Sutter is included to give us a 2nd/3rd line center back and to make the trade work cap wise.

Pits:

Kesler (5 mil)

Van:

Sutter (2.06 mil) RFA

Bennet (0.9 mil)

Maatta (0.9 mil)

Pits also has 1.2 mil in cap space.

Then trade Edler to Phili.

Phili:

Edler (5 mil)

2nd round pick

Van:

B. Schenn (0.9 mil)

L. Schenn (3.6 mil)

S. Laughton

Phili also has cap space of 2.9 mil.

Personally i would prefer Couturier + Laughton, however it doesn't work out cap wise. Hence someone needs to be included to make the trade work money wise, however such an inclusion would no longer make the trade work for Phili value wise. Therefore i 'settle' for B.Schenn instead of Couturier and have his brother L.Schenn be included to make the trade work money wise.

Laughton replaces a 1st round pick that would be in the 20-25 range and take 2+ years to develop. However considering that Laughton is a high end prospect, we add a 2nd to even out the value.

Out:

Kesler & Edler

In:

Bennett - 2nd line winger

Sutter - 3rd line center

B.Schenn - 2nd line center

Laughton - 2nd line winger

Maatta - top 2 dman

L.Schenn - 2nd /3rd pair dman.

IMO Kesler is worth that much and can get us Maatta & Bennett due to the pricing war that will happen and the possibility of sending him to one Pits top competitors in the East. Also Pits has the possibility to ice 3 1st-line centers at any time which automatically gives them an edge over any team they play. Or they can line up Kesler with Crosby or Malkin to create an even deadlier 1-2 combo.

Edler, is worth a lot as well. Just look at the recent Girardi signing. Edler, top pairing defense-men, in his prime, signed on a good contract, will also create a bidding war.

Your first trade is only going to happen if Pittsburgh REALLY wants Kesler and is caught in a bidding war. It is very unlikely. VERY!

Your second trade is completely ridiculous. There is no way Edler would net both Schenns AND Laughton. Come on... seriously

To pry Johanson away, you've got to expand the deal, add youth & incentive. Clb would like an ELC-star; & their def-fwds would be phenomenal.

Kesler, HORVAT, Tanev.

Johansen, Anisimov, Murray.

Switch Horvat with Gaunce and Tanev with Tomernes and that's a shade better. I'd be happy to throw in a 2nd 3rd and 4th as well for that offer.

Just cannot fathom losing Kesler AND Horvat in a single deal

Sad to say, but it is Gillis that is steering the ship - not the arm chair and keyboard GMs that are expecting the moon. I wouldnt be surprised if we wake up tomorrow and we hear Kesler has been traded to the Bruins for Chris Kelly and Jordan Caron.

Gillis .... just remember its Gillis ....

cringe...

Sad to say, but it is Gillis that is steering the ship - not the arm chair and keyboard GMs that are expecting the moon. I wouldnt be surprised if we wake up tomorrow and we hear Kesler has been traded to the Bruins for Chris Kelly and Jordan Caron.

Gillis .... just remember its Gillis ....

cringe...

If we wake up on Wednesday and gillis got the moon for Kesler will you buy MC EmGee's latest rap album "whatchu know bout process"?

If we wake up on Wednesday and gillis got the moon for Kesler will you buy MC EmGee's latest rap album "whatchu know bout process"?

If Gillis manages to get the moon for Kesler Ill buy you that album too....

Its sad that things have declined to this point.

Kesler is a guy they should be building around. If he goes to a team that knows how to properly utilize him he will be dynamite. Picture him on Pittsburgh on the third line as their primary shutdown center. He would not be expected to carry the team in terms of goal scoring and he wont be expected to play insane minutes every night. They would use him on the PK, throw him out against the likes of Krejci, Kessel, you name it...and he could pop in a goal every now in then while facing the bottom pairing D-men and weaker forwards on the opposing team....

We know what he can do here when he isnt expected to play like a horse and score every night.

The decline of this team is directly proportional to the decline of the Sedins. The Canucks have no top line and now they are going to dismantle by moving guys like Kesler. They better get top line material in return because nothing will change.

Stop...please people STOP. This is NOT a proposal thread....

Look If Kesler is leaving a Center NEEDS to be coming back. Either as a player or a prospect.

Couturier is the obvious choice because he's young, larger than B Schenn an excellent shutdown guy and has some serious offensive upswing as he matures

B Schenn translates into that fast great passing potential 70-90 point center we need after the twins retire.

Laughton is indeed intriguing

But come on that is just the Phily trades.

Detroit, people who keep saying detroit won't trade their youth need to stop for a second. Their endless cup runs and 4 wins in the last 16 years are not because of youth but because of the vets they brought in either via trade or UFA

Mantha, Jurco or Sproul are the obvious choices. Nyquist is a non starter because he's one of the best producers playing in Detroit right now and Holland will not subtract that just to add a two way player

Pittsburgh has endless depth at the D position but come on, if it is not Maata. Why do people really think that we would accept a "possible top 4" in Pouliot (sp) or Dumoulin. If Bennett and Maata are not part of that equation again it is a non starter.

You've got to understand. The total haul for Buffalo was a UFA goalie, power forward with a questionable work ethic, a 1st round pick and a potential second 1st round pick picks a 3rd round pick and a solid prospect. This is for 2 UFA's in positions that they've got in spades....

Kesler alone would/should net a comparable package. Take the Iginla pick up last season and double that. don't forget this is a shallow draft year so picks don't mean as much for playoff teams. And nobody can say where any team will place next year so picks next year as well are fairly meaningless for competing teams.

After yesterdays St Louis/Buffalo trade. Earlier this seasons Vanek/Moulson trade. And the Off Seasons Ottawa Anaheim trade. people really need to step back and evaluate exactly what a Kesler under contract on top of his game post Olympics is worth.

The return for him alone should beggar the purchasing team and rightly so.

So please, no more proposals of the Simmonds Schenn alone quality. Be a shade more realistic

Its sad that things have declined to this point.

Kesler is a guy they should be building around. If he goes to a team that knows how to properly utilize him he will be dynamite. Picture him on Pittsburgh on the third line as their primary shutdown center. He would not be expected to carry the team in terms of goal scoring and he wont be expected to play insane minutes every night. They would use him on the PK, throw him out against the likes of Krejci, Kessel, you name it...and he could pop in a goal every now in then while facing the bottom pairing D-men and weaker forwards on the opposing team....

We know what he can do here when he isnt expected to play like a horse and score every night.

The decline of this team is directly proportional to the decline of the Sedins. The Canucks have no top line and now they are going to dismantle by moving guys like Kesler. They better get top line material in return because nothing will change.

Kesler is far from the guy to build around.

Think of him as Ryan Smyth at this point Once Smyth hit 33 years old he was basically a contract anchor. kesler will either price himself out of vancouver or possibly walk after everything is said and done in 2 seasons.

Teams and championships are built by making deals when value is high.

Can you honestly say Kesler in 4 or 5 years is the guy you expect to be leading the Canucks to a cup with?

I really cannot. Injuries, personal issues, contracts etc will all take their toll and either have us lose him for nothing, or have us holding on to him for north of $6 million a year while he only plays 30+ games a season in a reduced role as injuries have hampered him so completely

Your first trade is only going to happen if Pittsburgh REALLY wants Kesler and is caught in a bidding war. It is very unlikely. VERY!

Your second trade is completely ridiculous. There is no way Edler would net both Schenns AND Laughton. Come on... seriously

As mentioned, this is my opinion, based on the rumours and speculation out there. Kesler is a first line center (USA 1st line center), recent selke winner, top 2-way forward. They rarely make it to the open market. As mentioned, if someone wants him, they will have to overpay. The speculated offer by Pits was Sutter & Pouliot, and we don't know what else. Pouliot being one of their top 2 prospects. Therefore I counter with what i want.

If they don't match, i trade Kesler to their competition.

How would Pits like it if they had to face him on the playoffs playing for Phili, Detroit, Boston, NYR, Montreal, etc. simply put; overpay with prospect and get the chance to win the cup, or face:

Phili: Kesler, Lecavalier, Scheen/Couturier

Boston: Krejci, Bergeron, Kesler

Detroit: Datsyuk, Kesler

NYR: Richards, Kesler, Brassard/Stephan

Do you understand now how my opinion was formed and why if they want him, they will overpay and that package is realistic.

Same thing goes for Elder, If Phili doesn't want to pay that package, we trade Edler to Ottawa, or someone else fighting for the 8th position. Please keep in mind that despite the opinion of many fans, Edler is a top 2 dman. He was on the top pairing with Karlson for Sweden. We are in no hurry to trade him either. The package i proposed is mainly for B.Schenn and Laughton. I don't see L.Scheen as anything special.

Why do i think Phili would overpay?

Streit is 36 with a 5.25 mill. cap hit.

Timonen is 38 and a UFA. cap hit 6 mill.

Pronger - no comment

Coburn is top 4 dman with a 4.5 mil cap hit.

Meszaros is not worth the 4 mill cap hit.

and you're left with Grossman, Gustafsson, and L. Schenn.

Only Gustafsson and L. Schenn are younger than Edler.

The need an Edler type dmen for this year, and the next few years to be their top 2 dman.

If Pits wants Kesler, Maatta has to be included. Bennet is included because we need a a pure offensive high end prospect back instead of a 1st round pick (27-30) that will take 2+ years to develop. Sutter is included to give us a 2nd/3rd line center back and to make the trade work cap wise.

Pits:

Kesler (5 mil)

Van:

Sutter (2.06 mil) RFA

Bennet (0.9 mil)

Maatta (0.9 mil)

Pits also has 1.2 mil in cap space.

Then trade Edler to Phili.

Phili:

Edler (5 mil)

2nd round pick

Van:

B. Schenn (0.9 mil)

L. Schenn (3.6 mil)

S. Laughton

Phili also has cap space of 2.9 mil.

Personally i would prefer Couturier + Laughton, however it doesn't work out cap wise. Hence someone needs to be included to make the trade work money wise, however such an inclusion would no longer make the trade work for Phili value wise. Therefore i 'settle' for B.Schenn instead of Couturier and have his brother L.Schenn be included to make the trade work money wise.

Laughton replaces a 1st round pick that would be in the 20-25 range and take 2+ years to develop. However considering that Laughton is a high end prospect, we add a 2nd to even out the value.

Out:

Kesler & Edler

In:

Bennett - 2nd line winger

Sutter - 3rd line center

B.Schenn - 2nd line center

Laughton - 2nd line winger

Maatta - top 2 dman

L.Schenn - 2nd /3rd pair dman.

IMO Kesler is worth that much and can get us Maatta & Bennett due to the pricing war that will happen and the possibility of sending him to one Pits top competitors in the East. Also Pits has the possibility to ice 3 1st-line centers at any time which automatically gives them an edge over any team they play. Or they can line up Kesler with Crosby or Malkin to create an even deadlier 1-2 combo.

Edler, is worth a lot as well. Just look at the recent Girardi signing. Edler, top pairing defense-men, in his prime, signed on a good contract, will also create a bidding war.

I don't mind those trades but I notice 2nd/3rd line tags next to all of the player coming in, I wouldn't mind seeing 1st line potential tags on at least one of those trades with the prospects coming into play.

Think of him as Ryan Smyth at this point Once Smyth hit 33 years old he was basically a contract anchor. kesler will either price himself out of vancouver or possibly walk after everything is said and done in 2 seasons.

Can you honestly say Kesler in 4 or 5 years is the guy you expect to be leading the Canucks to a cup with?

I really cannot. Injuries, personal issues, contracts etc will all take their toll and either have us lose him for nothing, or have us holding on to him for north of $6 million a year while he only plays 30+ games a season in a reduced role as injuries have hampered him so completely

I think that Kesler has a solid 5 years left if he is utilized correctly. He is one of the premiere shutdown centers in the league, can play practically any role you want him to, can pop 25+ goals per year and is an ex Selke trophy winner.

How often have you seen a guy like Kesler on the Canucks in their 40+ years? He is a legit difference maker on a team with a legit elite first line.

There is nobody else on this team I would rather build around.

I can also see your position - trade him now while his value is high. I would agree with a trade if it brings back something spectacular...but do you trust Gillis to make such a trade? And...if the Sedins continue to be mediocre for the next 3 years does it really matter what young player(s) they bring in to replace Kesler?

So the Pens need to trade Crosby right? He has never played a full 82 game season

Bergeron on the block?

Kesler has missed 1 game so far this season so im not sure what your saying with your injury prone bs...Is not every single player in the NHL subject to injuries?

I get it you want a firesale and complete rebuild...We aint 30th some pieces need to move around but we are far from the doom and gloom your saying

Unfortunately, MG's signing of the twins and their inability to score that has left MG in this predicament. They are simply not doing what they were paid to do.

IMHO it is the Sedins that should be moved, but with new contracts in hand they won't be going anywhere. It is their inability to do what they are being paid for that will cost more than just Kesler his spot on this roster, it may be more trades and inevitably could cost MG his job.

On that note, the Sedins appear to have comparable issues now, but they were locked up to $14mil per for 4 more years. The direction the Canucks are taking is confusing, at best.

On that note, the Sedins appear to have comparable issues now, but they were locked up to $14mil per for 4 more years. The direction the Canucks are taking is confusing, at best.

The twins at their contracts and for obvious reasons cannot and will not be traded.

But listening to dragon etc say Kesler needs to stay is basically tantamount to firing pucks at a cement wall and hoping for a win for all the good it does this team.

Archived