The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Senators shopping Spezza

sampy

http://thesco.re/OTMgpB

The Ottawa Senators are "quietly exploring interest" in captain Jason Spezza according to reports from Darren Dreger and The Fourth Period's David Pagnotta.

From TheFourthPeriod:

With the trade deadline around the corner, the Senators may not be able to manifest a trade involving Spezza, upon which trade discussions would carry out into the off-season, where a deal could be consummated around the NHL Draft in late-June.

Spezza owns a full no-trade clause and has two years, including the balance of this season, and $11 million in salary (with an average cap-hit of $7 million per season) left on his current contract.

While Spezza leads the Senators in scoring this season, he's been supplanted as Ottawa's most used centerman by Kyle Turris - who has emerged as a bonafide top-line player this season. In addition to Turris, the further development and surprising effectiveness of young players like Mika Zibanejad and Zack Smith has given the Senators a surplus of talent down the middle.

In 56 games, Spezza ranks 40th in the NHL with 46 points, his lowest points-per-game rate since 2003-04.

Edler for Spezza. Straight up. Karlsson gets his D-mate.

TSN is also reporting this.

The problem with Spezza is his contract is big... cap ceiling teams can't afford that without giving up a significant piece. If they are trying for a cup run that doesn't help them. Ottawa doesn't have the cash to take on bad contracts in return either.

Also, with his NTC he won't want to go to the teams he would be attractive to, which are the cap floor teams. He has a $7 million cap hit but only costs $4 million in real dollars. That is great for a team struggling financially who is scared of the big jump in the cap floor next season.

TFP is sub-Eklund useless tripe. Not sure why they still exist.

I am not sure why so many people fill up the threads with useless comments about an issue that has been clarified repeatedly.

I guess it makes them feel better about themselves.

TFP is sub-Eklund useless tripe. Not sure why they still exist.

The article mentions Dreger too but thanks for contributing nothing to the topic.

IMO Edler for Spezza straight up is fair for both sides. Canucks gain another centre and the Sens gain a much needed top D man. This will allow Gillis to go for the best price possible for Kesler without focusing on certain positions.

Edler for Spezza

Kesler for Sutter, Pouliot and a 1st

Stewart for Pittsburgh's 1st.

Lu for whatever. (Preferably in a big package for Bjustad)

Sedins Stewart

Burr Spezza Kass

Higgins Sutter Santo

Sestito Richardson Hansen

Sens GM shoots down Spezza trade rumors

Bryan Murray has quieted the Jason Spezza rumblings.

“I think the thing that really bothers me — I’ve got all kinds of calls and texts and questions on that now — some guy that I don’t know, put it out on Twitter that we’re shopping Jason Spezza, and everybody in the world now, every other media guy, grabs that and goes … I had one guy ask me if I wanted to comment to quiet the rumors, I said no,” Murray explained, per the Ottawa Citizen.

“I’m not going to … the more I say about it, the more it’s going to be played over and over the next couple days, so I’ll just say that we have not talked, at this point in time, about Jason Spezza.”

Murray was speaking in response to a variety of reports — including one from TSN’s Darren Dreger — which suggested Ottawa had been exploring interest in the 30-year-old.

Spezza, who inherited the Sens’ captaincy from Daniel Alfredsson this year, has rebounded from an injury-plagued ’13 campaign to post solid numbers (15 goals, 46 points in 56 games.) He’d be a significant offensive pickup for any playoff-bound team but, that said, his minus-24 rating is one of the worst in the league — assuming you care about plus-minus.

Spezza deal or no Spezza deal, Ottawa is definitely a team to watch as Wednesday’s deadline draws near. Veteran d-man Chris Phillips is a pending UFA and there hasn’t been much to report about a new contract, while fellow veteran UFAs Milan Michalek and Joe Corvo have uncertain futures as well.

It’s also still unclear what the Sens plan to do at the deadline — they’re right in the thick of the playoff chase, but would have to leapfrog three teams just to get into the final wild card spot in the Eastern Conference.

The article mentions Dreger too but thanks for contributing nothing to the topic.

IMO Edler for Spezza straight up is fair for both sides. Canucks gain another centre and the Sens gain a much needed top D man. This will allow Gillis to go for the best price possible for Kesler without focusing on certain positions.

Edler for Spezza

Kesler for Sutter, Pouliot and a 1st

Stewart for Pittsburgh's 1st.

Lu for whatever. (Preferably in a big package for Bjustad)

Sedins Stewart

Burr Spezza Kass

Higgins Sutter Santo

Sestito Richardson Hansen

Ew =/ if you trade for Spezza, you don't trade away Kesler imo

Why not? You move a very good defensive 2nd line center for a more offensive 1st line center. If you have the wingers to support him, he could push the Sedins down a line and then Sutter would center the 3rd, Richardson the 4th.

Archived