The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Official: Deadline Reactions

-SN-

Perfect, we moved the diva, moved the gross contract, took back an upgrade at center over a few guys and a potential stud under Rollie. It was a good day. As a season ticket holder, I am pleased with the last few days.

The worst for me is Diaz. Seemed like an upgrade over Alberts

MG moved the "diva", not you, and along with him went a relatively tolerable contract actually (the only bad thing is the term, not the cap hit). This may be an upgrade at center but that's because this team has no depth down the middle. MG also gave up the team's entire goaltending for a THIRD LINE/FRINGE SECOND LINE center who is less proven than Booth and a goalie prospect with crappy numbers and an injury to boot. If you want to go by pedigree or potential alone, Markstrom is up there but in reality he isn't worth much more than a high 2nd rounder at this point.

I can't believe you think losing Diaz was the worst thing that happened. Diaz is a non-factor here. Lu, on the other hand...

disgusted by the manegment at this trade deadline, grossly unproffesional. Luongo for a unproven goalie and a shutdown center was the move we were all waiting for apparently. And everybody knows that a shutdown center will help solve all our scoring problems(sarcasm). This move also makes no room for Horvat/Gaunce, as Matthias will be the third line center(I would guees) and the dealing of the whole Schneieder/Luongo saga is even worse now than it was a year ago. I do believe Lack is a good goalie, but remember when people were shouting "trade Lou" after Schneids played 20ish games? We were calling those people crazy. But that is basically what the manegement just did.

And know when Kesler did not get traded either he will obviously lose value due to the fact that his great contract is half a season shorter and he's half a year older. So know we will probably get the same return on Kesler like Schneider a semi-high draft pick and possibly a 25ish year old "sniper" who had potential in juniors and he'll be Gillis new project.

On the positive side there should be less Luongo obsession which is a welcome change, I've been sick of it for years. Maybe now people will finally realize the team has a problem scoring instead of always blaming the goalie.

Knowing Kesler has given up on the team I no longer have to tolerate his annoying stuff.

Hey Kes, quit the complaining to the ref, quit the endless diving and oh yeah how'd you like Canada beating you...Twice hahaha!

we have 3 prospects worth talking about

Horvat

Markstrom

Shinkaruk

Cassels

Jensen

Fox

Gaunce

They are all 1 tier down from the 3 you mentioned, but still worth talking about.

Pretty much all of our junior players have had successful seasons this year.

disgusted by the manegment at this trade deadline, grossly unproffesional. Luongo for a unproven goalie and a shutdown center was the move we were all waiting for apparently. And everybody knows that a shutdown center will help solve all our scoring problems(sarcasm). This move also makes no room for Horvat/Gaunce, as Matthias will be the third line center(I would guees) and the dealing of the whole Schneieder/Luongo saga is even worse now than it was a year ago. I do believe Lack is a good goalie, but remember when people were shouting "trade Lou" after Schneids played 20ish games? We were calling those people crazy. But that is basically what the manegement just did.

And know when Kesler did not get traded either he will obviously lose value due to the fact that his great contract is half a season shorter and he's half a year older. So know we will probably get the same return on Kesler like Schneider a semi-high draft pick and possibly a 25ish year old "sniper" who had potential in juniors and he'll be Gillis new project.

There are what, about 20 games left in the season. You are getting carried away.

Lu is gone with his contract and Gillis gains $3 mil in CAP space, a young tender who was pretty much

tied with Lack as best tenders in the AHL 2 years ago. Review both their stats this year for positive reinforcement. A utility centerman with size and potential. A big improvement over last summer.

IMO most fans still think that with tweaking this core can be CUP competitive. I suggest not even close.The franchise has been looking for that dream winger that would replace Burrows as a point generator for the Twins for years. The biggest issue has always been the 2nd line. Kesler has not been the anchor

required to led that line.

Re-establish the development line at 23 - 25 and rebuild. Keep those vets who can mentor positively and

convert those who don't to pics and prospects. For once in this org's existence I would love to see real

depth. Neither Gillis or Nonis before him have had much flexibility to make deals. Gillis is in a pretty

good spot now. The NTC's are a issue but players in their early 30's start thinking about a CUP during

their careers and are likely to waive. It does limit where they can end up however.

I prefer Van drops as low as possible and drafts 10th or better. That is acheiveable by all appearances.

My reaction? Not sure if the Canucks are in trouble or not.

-Luongo, who was supposed to be our goalie to lead us to the play offs this year gets traded. Why wait until just after the heritage classic to do it? If it is a trade made simply out of a PR move then that is just plain wrong.

-I think that Kesler's value was highest right now. Why would any team offer more in the summer or on draft day considering that will be one less playoff run they will get out of him?

-Let's not forget that Kesler is injury prone. If he gets hurt between now and the end of the season what will that do to his value?

-All these stories of the owners calling shots is also troubling.

I guess we will see how things turn out however since the heritage classic and the Luongo trade I have soured on the Canucks a bit.

There are what, about 20 games left in the season. You are getting carried away.

Lu is gone with his contract and Gillis gains $3 mil in CAP space, a young tender who was pretty much

tied with Lack as best tenders in the AHL 2 years ago. Review both their stats this year for positive reinforcement. A utility centerman with size and potential. A big improvement over last summer.

IMO most fans still think that with tweaking this core can be CUP competitive. I suggest not even close.The franchise has been looking for that dream winger that would replace Burrows as a point generator for the Twins for years. The biggest issue has always been the 2nd line. Kesler has not been the anchor

required to led that line.

Re-establish the development line at 23 - 25 and rebuild. Keep those vets who can mentor positively and

convert those who don't to pics and prospects. For once in this org's existence I would love to see real

depth. Neither Gillis or Nonis before him have had much flexibility to make deals. Gillis is in a pretty

good spot now. The NTC's are a issue but players in their early 30's start thinking about a CUP during

their careers and are likely to waive. It does limit where they can end up however.

I prefer Van drops as low as possible and drafts 10th or better. That is acheiveable by all appearances.

Just fyi we only got around 1.5 in cap space from trading Lu. The was another one of MG's classic trades where he traded a bona-fide NHL'er for 2 not so bona-fide players. Looking purely at statistcs, Shawn hasn't really done much more then Hansen. Though I agree with you that this team is no where ready to compete, espcially without a #1 goalie.

I think I parallel the Luongo trade to letting Ehrhoff and Salo go, we haven't yet understood what we lost until we play half a season without them. To me trading Luongo signalled more a withdrawal from the playoff race, not the commitment to get in.

You know what REALLY grinds my gears...

The media keeps saying "the Canucks are waiting until the offseason to address the Ryan Kesler situation."

WHAT SITUATION!?!?

He said himself he is happy in Vancouver, loves his teammates, gets along with Torts.

He said he never was asked to waive. Of course Gillis said "we're taking a number of phone calls on Ryan." Cause it's true, TEAMS WERE CALLING!!

Quit twisting it.

For the first time in almost a decade we are SELLERS, so the media goes.. Hmmmm who's most valuable on <insert team here>...

The only situation was the goalie situations and that was addressed when Luongo was traded.

And of course he is taking calls on Kesler... Nobody is untradeable, but contenders don't want to give up too much. If a rediculous offer was put down and it improves the team than sure, but that wasn't going to happen.

There is no Kesler situation, he wants to be a Canuck, bottom line.

The media can SHUT UP!!!

Just fyi we only got around 1.5 in cap space from trading Lu. The was another one of MG's classic trades where he traded a bona-fide NHL'er for 2 not so bona-fide players. Looking purely at statistcs, Shawn hasn't really done much more then Hansen. Though I agree with you that this team is no where ready to compete, espcially without a #1 goalie.

I think I parallel the Luongo trade to letting Ehrhoff and Salo go, we haven't yet understood what we lost until we play half a season without them. To me trading Luongo signalled more a withdrawal from the playoff race, not the commitment to get in.

Luongo's 15 percent salary that aqua has to pay doesn't count towards the cap.

Hire Linden ,Sakic who ever. Gillis needs to be fired this summer. Everyone on this team should on the block next year. They can't not score, hello?

There's no way either one of those guys will want have to do anything with being a GM with its current ownership. Look at the circus that's going on in Buffalo too. No wonder Pat Lafontaine quit. And NYI? Snow is to Gillis is Wang for Aquilini. We needed someone like Tallon who is able to convince management that inorder to get better, you need to make bold positive moves, unlike the bold Aquilini bonehead moves the Canucks have made the last two seasons. If Gillis wants to save his reputation, he needs to stand up to Aquaman or simply quit and hand over the sinking ship to the captain of the Titanic.

Luongo's 15 percent salary that aqua has to pay doesn't count towards the cap.

Yes it does. the $800,000 retention salary will count towards Vancouver Canucks salary cap until 2022. And if Luongo retires before then, it will even hurt Canucks cap situation even more.

The media keeps saying "the Canucks are waiting until the offseason to address the Ryan Kesler situation."

WHAT SITUATION!?!?

He said himself he is happy in Vancouver, loves his teammates, gets along with Torts.

He said he never was asked to waive. Of course Gillis said "we're taking a number of phone calls on Ryan." Cause it's true, TEAMS WERE CALLING!!

Quit twisting it.

For the first time in almost a decade we are SELLERS, so the media goes.. Hmmmm who's most valuable on <insert team here>...

The only situation was the goalie situations and that was addressed when Luongo was traded.

And of course he is taking calls on Kesler... Nobody is untradeable, but contenders don't want to give up too much. If a rediculous offer was put down and it improves the team than sure, but that wasn't going to happen.

The media can STFU!!!

You know, I once wrote this and I got banned by Moderators for a week and giving a warning point. FYI.

MG moved the "diva", not you, and along with him went a relatively tolerable contract actually (the only bad thing is the term, not the cap hit). This may be an upgrade at center but that's because this team has no depth down the middle. MG also gave up the team's entire goaltending for a THIRD LINE/FRINGE SECOND LINE center who is less proven than Booth and a goalie prospect with crappy numbers and an injury to boot. If you want to go by pedigree or potential alone, Markstrom is up there but in reality he isn't worth much more than a high 2nd rounder at this point.

I can't believe you think losing Diaz was the worst thing that happened. Diaz is a non-factor here. Lu, on the other hand...

I guess you are new to professional sports and many comedians bits on sports. "We" win, "they" lose, our team, so we traded Luongo.

As for Diaz, he was a moderate improvement over Weis. So ditching him for a fifth round pick is a disappintment. To me it appears we don't want/need depth for a playoff run, it shows where "we" are headed as a team

Canucks aren't doing anything this year even if they make the playoffs. They got rid of Luo and his contract, great. Frees cap space. Buy out Booth and there is more cap space. They are looking at a top 10 draft pick this year which is great, keep playing the way they're playing and it will only get better.

I don't think trading Kes is a good idea at this point anyway. He will only waive to go to a contender and that limits our options for return. He is the type of guy that you need in playoffs, however if he really wants out (he said he didn't) and we get what we are looking for then bye bye.

So get rid of say Edler for a roster player of 2nd/3rd line forward and sign a top six winger along with maybe having Santorelli back and some of the young D come up not to forget we have some cap space for Tanev. We are looking good if we draft a great potential forward in the draft this summer.

All these doom and gloomers are hilarious. We are already making moves for the future and have assets to move to help with that. Have faith and remember there's Russians in the Crimea and bombs falling in Syria to go along with a prime Minister bending the rules of government. This is entertainment!!!!!

Did anyone actually expect a Luongo trade to return critical scoring assets?? I didn't think so. Most people seemed content to get rid of the cap hit to allow them to sign scorers or other key pieces rather than trading Luongo for them. To that end, moving Luongo is a good thing. It is less comfortable than a year ago with Schneider still here than with Lack, but I think it was a needed move (from a cap persepctive - sad to see the best goalie we've had leave though).

WHAT SITUATION!?!?

Quit twisting it.

The media can SHUT UP!!!

It's classic Vancouver where a couple of unsubstantiated rumours and third-hand quotations become "a situation".

On the positive side there should be less Luongo obsession which is a welcome change, I've been sick of it for years. Maybe now people will finally realize the team has a problem scoring instead of always blaming the goalie.

Knowing Kesler has given up on the team I no longer have to tolerate his annoying stuff.

Hey Kes, quit the complaining to the ref, quit the endless diving and oh yeah how'd you like Canada beating you...Twice hahaha!

Who are you talking too?

Archived