The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Official: Deadline Reactions

-SN-

I don't know how we went from 2x Presidents Trophy winners, and Stanley Cup finalists to this in a span of just a few years. Those years seem like an eternity ago.

MG has single handedly crippled this team.

It's going to be a long, dark journey folks. The glory days are over and I honestly can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. No Cup in Van for a good long while.

What are you talking about? MG was the only reason why the Canucks won back to back presidents trophies and then went on game 7 in the Stanley Cup finals.

Can you blame him for the Sedins having a completely awful year? That's the major problem with this team this year is the Sedins can't score they have become way too predictable. I think that teams have realized that if you don't pressure the Sedins and go to them then they aren't all that dangerous. You see teams just letting the Sedins hold onto the puck and forcing them to make difficult passes that are being picked off.

I won't get into the NTC's, which I feel have been MG only fault, because I am pretty sure you are one of these people who doesn't want to trade Burrows, Kesler, Sedins, Edler etc. A great GM would of traded Kesler after his 40 goal season and his unreal playoff run. I truly believe that Kesler after his 40 goal season would of landed us Corey Perry, who I know people here seem to hate. He is the perfect fit for the Sedins a bigger, stronger more skilful Burrows. Then Burrows could of been traded who probably even over achieved more than Kesler because unlike Kesler he is a 3rd line player who point up huge points and would of gotten a great return.

The reason why I pointed scenarios out like that because I believe had MG made those moves you and many other fans would of spazzed out and wanted him fired even though it would of been making the team much better.

The fans saved Kesler from being traded they cheered Kesler, Kesler, Kesler in the last home game they had. That's fine but here is the problem Edler doesn't want to waive his NTC. Okay move on to Garrison he probably will not waive it either now what I know that Hamhuis and Bieksa will never waive that NTC so what are we left with? The same fracking team.

What was the point of all that? The point was Fans should not dictate what happens with the team.

What I see is this we either continue to ice the same lineup with a few changes and hope to get into the playoffs next year or MG goes up to Burrows, Edler, Garrison and says give me some teams you will accept a trade to or I'm waiving you and you'll be playing in some place you probably don't want to be.

1. Tortorella and his antics and his system

2. Gillis and his complete butchering of the Schnieder and Luongo saga.

Bottom line - this team is not as bad as the standings indicate. Torts and Gilis are the main problems...

lmao u w0t?

What are his antics you speak of? Can you elaaborate or are you just pulling this out of your bum?

He didn't butcher the saga. No one wanted to pay for Luongo so we traded Schneider for Horvat. I'm okay with this because once Horvat plays and is capable of at least being a #2, Sedins will be traded/retired. Luongo didn't like Vancouver at all and it was so obvious regardless of what he said to the media.

Bottom line, you can't connect the dots.

lmao u w0t?

What are his antics you speak of? Can you elaaborate or are you just pulling this out of your bum?

Attacking an opposing team's locker room during a game??

He didn't butcher the saga. No one wanted to pay for Luongo so we traded Schneider for Horvat.

Nobody wanted Luongo because Gillis gave him an albatross of a contract and in turn he wanted too much in return the first time he tried to trade him. Dont you think that Gillis could have got more for an elite goalie like Schneider? He botched up that trade too.

I'm okay with this because once Horvat plays and is capable of at least being a #2

LOL. what do you base this on? A number 2 NHL center? He hasnt played one regulation game yet. You know squat about how he will turn out.

, Sedins will be traded/retired. Luongo didn't like Vancouver at all and it was so obvious regardless of what he said to the media.

Sedins will be traded? How will you trade 14 milion dollars of contracts connected to guys that score every three months? Luongo did not like Vancouver? Perhaps his mood in Vancouver was affected by the fact that he was treated like crap here during the last two years?

Bottom line, you can't connect the dots.

LOL. You have no idea what you are talking about. Plus, honestly, i find it hard to take anyone with a Hello Kitty avatar seriously.

I'm extremely disappointed. It makes 2011 that much worse. To be a single game away...Now this.

I'm glad we didn't trade Kesler or Edler away for nothing, but the future isn't looking very bright right now

Markstrom and Matthias arent the messiah for this club, however I wouldnt bet against them being Santorelli like additions.

Rolie Melanson has a pretty good track record of developing goalies last time I checked. Im very interested to see how he handles Markstrom. It wasnt all that long ago that the current 24 year old was considered the best goaltending prospect in the game, and is the same age now that Schneider was when he broke into the league.... far from a bust imo.

Matthias is going us center depth even if he is only a 3rd liner. And his size and speed should really help as those are two elements missing from this team. He had 14 goals in 48 games last year... 26 year old 20 goal 3rd liner with size. THis is a guy that could really benefit from a change in scenery imho. also wouldnt bet against him getting a shot to play the wing.

Buddy, we won't be Calgary unless we continue down this same path for at least 2 more seasons.

Teams have off years, almost every player is under producing this year, it's just unsustainable for the team to continue performing this poorly.

Look at Montreal a few years ago, they had a terrible year and were near the bottom of the league after being in the top 10 the year before, now they are right back near the top with the same core group of players.

As with most things, it's never as good or as bad as it seems at the time.

i'm not your buddy, pal

this is much more than one season of underperformance, canucks havent looked the same since '11 - and maybe the conference re-alignment has more to do with this... montreal is a tough comparison, they have a norris d-man and a LEGITIMATE top 6. can you honestly say that ANYONE on this team would be a top 6 on other 'contending' teams besides sedins and kesler? and the sedins look more like 2nd liners since the cup run. relying on Bo Horvat to make us a team with more than 3 top 6 players is just CDC foolishness.

heres another one for you, name one trade gillis has made that made us a better team? signing UFA's doesnt count, i like santo and garrison, but if you lose every trade you make that still makes you a crap GM. Gillis didn't build the 2011 team, he inherited it... and now look what he's done to it.

In reality trading Kesler;

Was akin to trading any center depth we had for prospects who might, or might not make it. That would have been the surest recipe to becoming Calgary known! At least for a year or so! Think about it, what center depth, or talent did Calgary have at center the last 5years? Even then we would have been better than Calgary with Hank.

I was not one of those who advocated for tanking! Thats what trading Kesler would have been!

Instead we improved our cap management, center and goaltending depth.

Not a coup IMO.

But positive!

Matthias may surprise some people I think.

I think he may as well. My only concern is that he will be a UFA after next season so I can see 3 scenarios playing out:

• He has a "bad" season next year, doesn't help the Canucks at all and they let him walk as a UFA (Worst case)
  • He has a "normal" season (12g, 18a) which likely won't really help the Canucks a lot. They offer him similar $$ to what he is making now. (Likely case)
  • He has a "breakout" season (25g, 30a), helps the Canucks at least contend for the playoffs. At which point he may opt to test the UFA market or the Canucks will have to up the ante on an extension. (Possible).

Either way I still like him better than Kassian. Hahahahaha.

"Hopefully our little re-tool will be like Anaheim's after they won their cup. Our prospects will develop quick (hopefully) and this team won't be so dependent on the twins and Kesler."

- won't be so dependent upon them to score zero goals in 20 games you mean? (As an aside; how many goals do you expect from Daniel 2-3 years from now?)

I'm extremely disappointed. It makes 2011 that much worse. To be a single game away...Now this.

I'm glad we didn't trade Kesler or Edler away for nothing, but the future isn't looking very bright right now

Better than it was a week ago. I like the moves we made, the Luongo trade was good for us. They Diaz move is what it is, wasn't in our future plans so atleast we got something.

And I'm glad we didn't accept less for Kesler/Edler than they are worth which I was kinda worried about, perhaps in the offseason they might garner even more interest since teams will have more flexability.

Its gunna suck watching the rest of this season, but I'm excited for next year.

i'm not your buddy, pal

this is much more than one season of underperformance, canucks havent looked the same since '11 - and maybe the conference re-alignment has more to do with this... montreal is a tough comparison, they have a norris d-man and a LEGITIMATE top 6. can you honestly say that ANYONE on this team would be a top 6 on other 'contending' teams besides sedins and kesler? and the sedins look more like 2nd liners since the cup run. relying on Bo Horvat to make us a team with more than 3 top 6 players is just CDC foolishness.

heres another one for you, name one trade gillis has made that made us a better team? signing UFA's doesnt count, i like santo and garrison, but if you lose every trade you make that still makes you a crap GM. Gillis didn't build the 2011 team, he inherited it... and now look what he's done to it.

Listen chief, (JK)

I would say he won the ehrhoff trade, Samuelson as well, the booth deal was a steal at the time; but booth has not played even close to his potential or even previous levels. Trades have definitely been MG's weakest area, no denying that.

You can't just say UFA's don't count though, of course they count and I think he has performed above average in that area:

Lack, Santorelli, garrison, Malhotra, Ericsson, Tanev are all or were very solid FA pickups that cost this team nothing. Sulzer as well.

You say he inherited the 11 team and now look what he's done to it.... What has he done to it? All of the core pieces of that team are still here and pretty much every single one of them is under performing, as much as we want to lay this all on MG's feet, it's up to the guys on the ice to play the games and I think they've done a pretty poor job of it this year.

The rumored offer for Kes was sutter a 1st and a 2nd... Would you really rather have that package now than Kesler?

IMO,

This off season is MG's time to put up or shut up, he needs to make some real moves to shake this team up, and if he stands pat again we should be looking for a replacement before the season starts.

Archived