The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Official: Deadline Reactions

-SN-

Its just frustrating because management has now kept 1 of 2 of the same type of player (Raymond/Grabner, Lou/Schneid, Kes/Hodgson) Only to trade the one they kept later (Kesler pending of course if they actually move him in the off season)

Hindsight is 20/20, but I said at the time we should have traded Grabner instead of Raymond at the time, Schneider trade over Lou was.... interesting but whatever.

I just don't get what the point of trying to keep players of a same skillset, when they just get rid of them in due time

Folks, let's face it. Luongo was never happy to be away from Florida, so he has been a rental player for as long has he's been in Vancouver.

He's home now, and he helped us win a bunch of games, including well into the playoffs.

We won't see his like again soon, so let's be satisfied with the memories.

For now, Eddie Lack may be the NEW FACE of the Canucks franchise.

Enough people have been calling for this. Let it happen.

Something that doesn't seem quite right to me is the fact that Micheal Gillis proclaims that he "will not" ask any of the players with NMC or NTC to waive them, yet he is entertaining offers for Kes. Kes and his agent have both said that he never asked to be moved.

So either Kes is lying or Micheal Gillis isn't as honorable as he would like to convey. You may say he was "testing the market", but if he would have gotten an offer that made sense, he then again has put himself in a position to challenge the honorable persona he likes to convey.

Its just frustrating because management has now kept 1 of 2 of the same type of player (Raymond/Grabner, Lou/Schneid, Kes/Hodgson) Only to trade the one they kept later (Kesler pending of course if they actually move him in the off season)

Hindsight is 20/20, but I said at the time we should have traded Grabner instead of Raymond at the time, Schneider trade over Lou was.... interesting but whatever.

I just don't get what the point of trying to keep players of a same skillset, when they just get rid of them in due time

WHAAAAATTTT?????? :blink:

Matthias may surprise some people I think.

“He’s got real good size and he’s got good speed. He gets on pucks fast and he has that big body. We’re hoping he’s a third-liner. He’s a strong skater, and in the new NHL, we’re hoping he’s going to be a real tough guy to play against.” — Red Wings assistant GM Jim Nill (2006).Seems accurate...and that was 8 years ago.

According a Globe and Mail hockey writer, the Pens offered the Canucks Sutter and a 1st and 2nd pick. Apparently the ownership wanted a prospect included which Pens didn't give.

I'm more concerned about this rumored issue between Gillis and ownership. Having a GM who is just a puppet for ownership is never good.

If that's true, my suspicions that Aquilini prevented Gillis from making yet another bad trade are confirmed. Hopefully he's just waiting to see who's available in the offseason before he fires the worst GM this team has had in the last 20 years.

Hopefully our little re-tool will be like Anaheim's after they won their cup. Our prospects will develop quick (hopefully) and this team won't be so dependent on the twins and Kesler.

we have 3 prospects worth talking about

Horvat

Markstrom

Shinkaruk

I don't know how we went from 2x Presidents Trophy winners, and Stanley Cup finalists to this in a span of just a few years. Those years seem like an eternity ago.

MG has single handedly crippled this team.

It's going to be a long, dark journey folks. The glory days are over and I honestly can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. No Cup in Van for a good long while.

MG was the one who built the Stanley Cup contending team. Ehrhoff, Malhotra, Torres, Higgins, Lappy, hamhuis, resigning Sedins, etc etc.

Once torts came in everything went down. Yes, we had 2 straight 1st round loses with AV, but at least we won a presidents trophy and made the playoffs.

I don't know abuot the rest of you clowns and jokers....but i can smell what Gillis is cooking....and it is smelling good!!!

Lets put it this way....the likes of Marchand won't even think about disrepecting the Twins.

"Hopefully our little re-tool will be like Anaheim's after they won their cup. Our prospects will develop quick (hopefully) and this team won't be so dependent on the twins and Kesler."

- won't be so dependent upon them to score zero goals in 20 games you mean? (As an aside; how many goals do you expect from Daniel 2-3 years from now?)

If they can put up 50-60 points as 2nd liners I'll be happy. But then again...they're getting paid 7 million a year so I don't know if I should be satisfied with that...

I don't know how we went from 2x Presidents Trophy winners, and Stanley Cup finalists to this in a span of just a few years. Those years seem like an eternity ago.

MG has single handedly crippled this team.

It's going to be a long, dark journey folks. The glory days are over and I honestly can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. No Cup in Van for a good long while.

Honestly, the roster is still pretty much the same from last year.

I believe it's due to the players not performing to their standards.

(Ofc Gillis could have got a top 6 forward in the beginning of the year)

I'm not overjoyed or overly disappointed with the deadline moves or the lack of it. It is what it is and moving a big piece like Kesler should not be rushed and done in a day unless something irresistible comes up. A first rounder from elite teams like Pens or Ducks is not much different than a high second rounder anyway so it's not a very high return. Canucks will have a higher 1st rounder than those two teams the way things are going. With the cap going up next season, significantly, and draft orders determined, I'd have no problem at all with waiting until draft day to deal Kesler if that has to be done. Also don't forget Kesler has an NTC and for a deadline move, he will only waive for a legit contender. However, at the draft, more options should be available to MG as it becomes a clean slate for most teams.

For Lu, I'm happy with the trade both for the team and Lu personally. After 8 great years during which he's shown nothing but professionalism and respect for the fans and Vancity, it's only classy to move him to the only location he wants to go, HOME. We got a young goalie back with high potential and a solid 3rd line center that can bridge between now and the maturation of Bo, not a bad deal considering the alternative being compliance buyout at the end of the season. Goalie market isn't what it used to be. There will be plenty of good goalies in the market place if (fingers crossed) Lack/Markstrom tank.

What I am looking forward is to add scoring wingers in the offseason, getting completely healthy and injecting some youth as well. As for this season, I will continue to watch every game (since I paid for Gamecenter already :rolleyes: ) and just have to lower the expectations.

Better than it was a week ago. I like the moves we made, the Luongo trade was good for us. They Diaz move is what it is, wasn't in our future plans so atleast we got something.

And I'm glad we didn't accept less for Kesler/Edler than they are worth which I was kinda worried about, perhaps in the offseason they might garner even more interest since teams will have more flexability.

Its gunna suck watching the rest of this season, but I'm excited for next year.

I agree!

This season was highly within the realm of possibility., predictable even. At the beginning of the year I would have / did (posted on record) predicted a battle to make the last two play off spots. Some adversity may see us just below that?

Its still what it is, AND what it was at the beginning of the year. Last summer we regressed having to make moves to become cap compliant to the new CBA. We both paid for indiscretions spending money and assets to be a contender previously...

Gillis this past summer did a pretty good job bargain basement hunting with Stanton, Santorelli, Richardson, re-signing Schroeder, Sestito, Weise. That made us viable, but certainly did not put us back on a path to contention. We added Horvat and kept our picks. Subsequently we had a good draft (Shinkaruk, Subban, Cassels, Cedarholme). We also signed all our core and were set up to have some cap space next year plus start looking at our improving group of prospects to crack the line up. In short we balanced our cap spending, signed our core and collected an improving group of prospects.

From that context last summer, and this year are a success. I don't foretell the disastrous fall some are projecting. At the deadline we also added more center depth, another top goalie prospect and more cap space. Compare that to summers and seasons of 2012/13 where we spent stupidly, both in cash and assets without progressing at all back towards being a contender. We're paying for those earlier two seasons right now.

We could have been lucky with a bank heist level trade haul? That aside, and it did not happen, we have made substantial progress towards being more stable and better in the future.

Who honestly would have projected Edler, the Twins, BURROWS, all would have had such dramatic turnarounds?

I'll cheer as hard as I can this year regardless of what happens, and take my hopes to next thinking we're heading back in the right direction!

Archived