The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Official: Deadline Reactions

-SN-

I'm not overjoyed or overly disappointed with the deadline moves or the lack of it. It is what it is and moving a big piece like Kesler should not be rushed and done in a day unless something irresistible comes up. A first rounder from elite teams like Pens or Ducks is not much different than a high second rounder anyway so it's not a very high return. Canucks will have a higher 1st rounder than those two teams the way things are going. With the cap going up next season, significantly, and draft orders determined, I'd have no problem at all with waiting until draft day to deal Kesler if that has to be done. Also don't forget Kesler has an NTC and for a deadline move, he will only waive for a legit contender. However, at the draft, more options should be available to MG as it becomes a clean slate for most teams.

For Lu, I'm happy with the trade both for the team and Lu personally. After 8 great years during which he's shown nothing but professionalism and respect for the fans and Vancity, it's only classy to move him to the only location he wants to go, HOME. We got a young goalie back with high potential and a solid 3rd line center that can bridge between now and the maturation of Bo, not a bad deal considering the alternative being compliance buyout at the end of the season. Goalie market isn't what it used to be. There will be plenty of good goalies in the market place if (fingers crossed) Lack/Markstrom tank.

What I am looking forward is to add scoring wingers in the offseason, getting completely healthy and injecting some youth as well. As for this season, time to tank.

This is a great post, man. I just had to repost it so some of the clueless 'fans' around here might read it.

I don't know abuot the rest of you clowns and jokers....but i can smell what Gillis is cooking....and it is smelling good!!!

Lets put it this way....the likes of Marchand won't even think about disrepecting the Twins.

Not sure if serious... but I like the positivity. Really, I do. So if serious, then cool :towel:

MG was the one who built the Stanley Cup contending team. Ehrhoff, Malhotra, Torres, Higgins, Lappy, hamhuis, resigning Sedins, etc etc.

Once torts came in everything went down. Yes, we had 2 straight 1st round loses with AV, but at least we won a presidents trophy and made the playoffs.

Do you remember what division we were in?

Listening to MG's interview you have to respect the guy and cut him some slack- obviously he wants to re-tool the line up with younger players with good upside but the deals weren't there.

I would have loved a Schenn or Couturier or Simmonds but those deals wern't available.

I agree!

This season was highly within the realm of possibility., predictable even. At the beginning of the year I would have / did (posted on record) predicted a battle to make the last two play off spots. Some adversity may see us just below that?

Its still what it is, AND what it was at the beginning of the year. Last summer we regressed having to make moves to become cap compliant to the new CBA. We both paid for indiscretions spending money and assets to be a contender previously...

Gillis this past summer did a pretty good job bargain basement hunting with Stanton, Santorelli, Richardson, re-signing Schroeder, Sestito, Weise. That made us viable, but certainly did not put us back on a path to contention. We added Horvat and kept our picks. Subsequently we had a good draft (Shinkaruk, Subban, Cassels, Cedarholme). We also signed all our core and were set up to have some cap space next year plus start looking at our improving group of prospects to crack the line up. In short we balanced our cap spending, signed our core and collected an improving group of prospects.

Don't forget Tanev :lol:

Listening to MG's interview you have to respect the guy and cut him some slack- obviously he wants to re-tool the line up with younger players with good upside but the deals weren't there.

I would have loved a Schenn or Couturier or Simmonds but those deals wern't available.

Hard to respect him when he gives a lot of spin and BS. Also its his job to pressure for higher returns and no player was more popular at this deadline than kesler. Having said that i think a new GM can come in and make a sick deal. We need a GM who doesn't take years to gather the courage to make deals like the Luongo trade.

Hard to respect him when he gives a lot of spin and BS. Also its his job to pressure for higher returns and no player was more popular at this deadline than kesler. Having said that i think a new GM can come in and make a sick deal. We need a GM who doesn't take years to gather the courage to make deals like the Luongo trade.

You sound like a little kid who didn't get what they want. Here's how it is: you can't "preassure" other GM's into giving you a "sick deal". Alot of the high priced UFA's e.g. Vanek, Gaborik, etc. didn't fetch nearly as much as laypeople thought they would e.g. 1st round draft picks. The reality is that GM's around the league didn't want to give up much at the dead line. Maybe things will change a bit at the draft, who knows? Point is, MG was listening to all offers and nothing actualized into something that would benefit the Canucks in a smart way. And he is probably a whole lot smarter than you, and obviously knows alot more than you about what trading in the NHL. Rather than do something rash, he stood pat. Hopefully something happens at the draft.

I almost +1-ed it myself but can't bring myself to embrace the tankage this season which, by the way, is already looking epic.

Thanks man, it was frustration talking for me. I still watch every game but have lowered my expectations significantly vs. 2 months ago. The way things are going, I just can't see us making the playoffs...

Per reports by SNET, TEAM1040, and other numerous reliable sources.

...what a hot mess. Teams picked up the price big time and MG had offers but greedy owners denied it to happen. Glad to know Aquilini is more concerned about money and revenue than creating a better teams. Lu situation 2.0...wow

For those of you blaming and pointing the finger at MG, you have the wrong person(s). The owners are calling the shots and dictating what can be done and what can't. MG is simply a puppet and can't do what's best for the team due to greedy owners!

If that's truly the case (and it could be) then MG should quit. I wouldn't be a puppet getting ripped probably everywhere you show your face in the city because some above me is vetoing trades.

so he's either dumb for being a puppet, or dumb for making bad moves..........you see the one constant in all of this?

Not sure how to feel yet, honestly -- I think we'll have to see how the guys actually play before dragging MG out back for the past couple days' happenings. We all knew that this deadline was likely going to be different in that we wouldn't be bringing in guys for cup runs-- at least we'd be in holding pattern or we'd be tearing everything down if they were going to go extreme. With the fact that our forwards' mass snake-biting has only been for this season, I'm content that they kept it together, since there's the chance that they would rebound. However, at the same time I wish we moved some of the guys who have NTC's but shouldn't, since as mentioned we're on the verge of becoming Calgary.

With the Lu deal, if we're going for youth and the team trusts Lack then it's good that Lu got what he wanted and we get two decent young pieces (plus Markstrom still has potential so this could become good for us too). As well, as mentioned if moving Kes and Edler weren't going to get us optimal returns (hearing Sutter's not as good as advertised) then I'm happy that they stayed since guys of their caliber will always have markets. Overall I feel for MG since he has to balance between being too aggressive and asking for too much, and settling for too little in his moves. With that said, I think he did okay with Lu, not great.

Thanks man, it was frustration talking for me. I still watch every game but have lowered my expectations significantly vs. 2 months ago. The way things are going, I just can't see us making the playoffs...

Cheers! Got to admit the pilot light is dimming for me on this season too, what with the zombified play of recent games and all.

Low blow...Burrows reputation takes another hike

Yup. I knew it. But there it was slapping me in the face and refusing to go away. Meanwhile, back in reality, nothing infectious or otherwise looks set to save this season.

Oh well. Maybe time to start reading a good book. Or to channel the frustration into playing instead of watching. Or some such thing lol.

Archived