The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Steve Moore/Bertuzzi 10th Anniversary - Steve Moore Speaks - Still Hasn't Moved On

But that didn't happen…irrelevant. The multitude of attempts to simultaneously justify Bert's actions and attack Moore's character are seriously getting old.

Moore's character was quite evident on the ice during his time in the NHL. He is 50% to blame for what transpired that night. He thought he could play the big boys game so he ran around throwing elbows and knees, he was a yappy little dog that started fights but would run and hide when it came to put his money were his mouth was. Guys that played that savagely cheap game like Moore, Avery, Tootoo etc had no fear of retribution. They could basically do what ever they wanted on the ice. These guys took many liberties with players careers and shortened them in many cases with brutal elbows

slashes

runs

and there is miles more evidence for these and so many other pukes on the ice that get away with murder. They will continue to do so until the rule is changed.

Players who play like this deserve to get "policed" as they say. I dont hate Moore. I truly pity him because he cannot own up to his part in all of this. It is truly pathetic. This is a savage game. What Bertuzzi did to Moore is not the worst incident and more will come with the current instigator rule.

Remember what Keith did to Daniel?

McSorley did to Brashear

or what Claude Lemieux did to Draper

or even what the Rat did to Salo

I am quite sure there are plenty of incidents new and old than we can all bring up. My point is until they fix the rule there will always be a chance of a savage attack or malicious intent to injure other players. Let the player take care of business and these types of players will be run out of the league and we can get back to playing hockey.

Bert does not punch him in head while on the ice. If you look at a clip that doesnt look like a ufo hoax tape you see him hold up on that second shot while another 600 pounds of muscle lands on top of Moore. No, no that would break a neck ?

Don't go to the whorehouse if you don't wanna get screwed.

Don't step onto NHL ice and injure a star player if you don't want to be attacked.

Moore played the game and he lost, it's time he accepted that fact and moved on.

BTW Trying to skate away from Bertuzzi was the STUPIDEST thing he could have done, he knew what he was in for and why he thought turning his back was going to get him off the hook, i'll never understand.

Moore's character was quite evident on the ice during his time in the NHL. He is 50% to blame for what transpired that night. He thought he could play the big boys game so he ran around throwing elbows and knees, he was a yappy little dog that started fights but would run and hide when it came to put his money were his mouth was. Guys that played that savagely cheap game like Moore, Avery, Tootoo etc had no fear of retribution. They could basically do what ever they wanted on the ice. These guys took many liberties with players careers and shortened them in many cases with brutal elbows

slashes

runs

and there is miles more evidence for these and so many other pukes on the ice that get away with murder. They will continue to do so until the rule is changed.

Players who play like this deserve to get "policed" as they say. I dont hate Moore. I truly pity him because he cannot own up to his part in all of this. It is truly pathetic. This is a savage game. What Bertuzzi did to Moore is not the worst incident and more will come with the current instigator rule.

McSorley did to Brashear

or what Claude Lemieux did to Draper

or even what the Rat did to Salo

I am quite sure there are plenty of incidents new and old than we can all bring up. My point is until they fix the rule there will always be a chance of a savage attack or malicious intent to injure other players. Let the player take care of business and these types of players will be run out of the league and we can get back to playing hockey.

Bert does not punch him in head while on the ice. If you look at a clip that doesnt look like a ufo hoax tape you see him hold up on that second shot while another 600 pounds of muscle lands on top of Moore. No, no that would break a neck ?

I agree, the instigator rule has been a complete failure.

Disgusting reading all the posts in this thread.

What is wrong with you?

You don't have any idea how much these people put into it in order to make it to the NHL and then he gets his entire career ruined by a disgusting play that would have gotten you in jail if it was real life.

Have a sense of perspective for god's sake.

Say and justify it however you wish, from the comments you've said in this thread you've made yourself look apathetic and cold hearted.. As well as immature. Trying to justify physically injuring ANYone makes you look like a complete tool and you should be ashamed of yourself.. Full stop.

lol wut?

@Mr.DirtyDangles I'll respond to you because you put time into your post. The amount of outright denial in this thread is ridiculous and people don't even back it up.

I find this an interesting point which you bring up. I do remember what Keith did to Daniel...remember what Daniel did to Keith before that? Threw a late hit where he extended his shoulder into him and caught a little bit of head. Now let me be very very clear before I am accused of defending Keith and I am burned at the cross: I don't think it was a very bad hit, and Keith's actions are uncalled for. But I just find it funny you bring that up when Keith threw that over-the-top, vicious cheap shot at Daniel as retribution for a much less severe hit Daniel had thrown that Keith took offence to. Sounds like a (seriously toned down) version of Bert-Moore. Sounds like Keith was being the policeman.

Bert does attempt to throw another punch, it's clear as day. I don't know what else to tell you, the view is right there (I don't understand how a front angle of the same video is a 'ufo hoax tape' but alright). And no, '600 pounds of muscle' (would like to point out there's bones, fat, skin involved in the equation just because I'm a prick :)) on top of you doesn't break a neck necessarily. I have said multiple times, the dogpile obviously makes things worse, but it is simply exacerbating a present injury; if these incidents are mutually exclusively occurring, which one causes more damage?

There may be less weight on Moore when he goes face first into the ice with Bert on top of him, but it's accelerating faster. Not to mention where the force is applied, with Berts hands being right behind the top of Moore's shoulders (right where the cervical vertebrae start) as the face is driven into the ice. That is more than enough to fracture a neck, and if anybody even thinks of saying the brain damage was caused by the dogpile (which I'll just reiterate: 3 Canucks, 1 Avalanche), I fear for you. None of this happens without the punch, that's all that matters.

I'm not addressing your point on the instigator rule because I never was talking about that in the first place and I'm sleepy.

Last I'll say on this. It's pretty hopeless to argue this point on these forums.

The only person that ended Steve Moore's career as a hockey player is Steve Moore. As ridiculous as the code in the NHL is that lead to Burt sucker punching Moore, and as awful as Moore's injuries were, Steve Moore chose not to return from them.

Two years later he was still wearing a neck brace in TV interviews. He looked like Bobby The Brain Heenan. It was obvious very early on that Moore and his lawyers had decided to deal with this through litigation. They capitalized on Bertuzzi's reputation at the time as one of the meanest biggest power forwards in the league, they took every opportunity to publicize their plight ('06 Olympics).

Steve Moore focused more efforts on playing the victim than he ever did trying to return from his injuries. Players have come back from worse, and other guys have had to retire from less, but Moore already had his mind made up that this lawsuit would be his legacy.

Bertuzzi showed genuine remorse, but Moore has never shown any forgiveness. That shows the type of person Moore is and why I'll always support Bertuzzi. A great Canuck, great NHL'er, and great teammate. Something Moore can never say.

Hope the money makes Steve Moore happy.

The only person that ended Steve Moore's career as a hockey player is Steve Moore. As ridiculous as the code in the NHL is that lead to Burt sucker punching Moore, and as awful as Moore's injuries were, Steve Moore chose not to return from them.

Two years later he was still wearing a neck brace in TV interviews. He looked like Bobby The Brain Heenan. It was obvious very early on that Moore and his lawyers had decided to deal with this through litigation. They capitalized on Bertuzzi's reputation at the time as one of the meanest biggest power forwards in the league, they took every opportunity to publicize their plight ('06 Olympics).

Steve Moore focused more efforts on playing the victim than he ever did trying to return from his injuries. Players have come back from worse, and other guys have had to retire from less, but Moore already had his mind made up that this lawsuit would be his legacy.

Bertuzzi showed genuine remorse, but Moore has never shown any forgiveness. That shows the type of person Moore is and why I'll always support Bertuzzi. A great Canuck, great NHL'er, and great teammate. Something Moore can never say.

Hope the money makes Steve Moore happy.

Do you know Steve Mooore, are familiar with his legal advice and medical condition or are you just portraying his character the way you want it to be in order to make yousefl feel better about liking Bertuzzi?

I always felt bad that someone suffered injuries that didn't need to happen. I also don't think Moore is the devil incarnate for the hit on Naslund; I didn't like the hit, but I've seen much worse many, many times. I also think Moore is entitled to some compensation here.

But apart from those factors, I have very little respect for the way he and his legal advisors have handled this thing from the very beginning. He has whimpered through the last 10 years of his life content being a victim and looking for a sympathetic and exorbitant settlement. In truth, he was a fringe player and his lost potential wages are much more finite than he believes them to be.

He could have turned around and fought Bertuzzi and called it a day, like 99% of players do.

But he didn't man-up on the ice, and has never man-up off it. There's a pattern here. The word 'weaseI' comes to mind. I feel he's entitled to 20% ($7.6M) of his $38M claim.

I agree, Jack. Precisely.

Here's the thing: people make Bert out to be a monster and his actions despicable. Yet, some of those same people stand up and cheer when there's a face smashing punch in a fight or someone creams someone else with a hit. So that doesn't make sense. Is it ok by you? Is it not? Do they have to map out where the punches land? Do they send a memo first? Guys don't always "drop the gloves"...sometimes one guy grabs and goes at another. So if it's from the side or face first it's ok? But from behind with warning, it's not? When did we make rules that said some of this needs to go beyond the ice? And could we get that outline of that, so they all do? For there are plenty of injuries sustained because one guy basically assaulted another. Let's clean 'em all up then.

If this was out on the street and unprovoked, ok. But, in hockey, there's violence. There's fighting, hitting, slashes, cross checks, etc. It's known and, to some degree, accepted - sure, there are penalties but if these actions were NOT tolerated, there'd be zero tolerance, not penalties where you serve two or more minutes and then return to the game. It would be "you're out" if this stuff was completely unacceptable.

Fights often involve punches thrown off kilter and missing the mark. This was not a "fight" in that one party did not participate but, really, he did. He did earlier and he was on the ice knowing that there'd be "payback" ... he's stated so himself and his lawsuit is trying to collect on that aspect of things too, in bringing in the team. So it's not like he "didn't know" - he did.

BOTH teams were engaged - everyone from the coaches standing on the benches yelling on the ice to every single player out there. Bert wasn't the sole player in this game.

So my deal is that hockey has accepted punches as part of the game. Every fight starts with someone throwing the first punch, doesn't it? So because Moore didn't turn and throw one back, Bert's a monster. This never happens. Yes it does...guys who don't really want to fight take punches at times. They scuffle and grab on but it isn't always two willing participants who've signed on for the deal.

The "sucker punch" aspect of it means that it was a dirty shot. Duh, they happen on a nightly basis....maybe not the same action, but you're lying to yourself if you say you don't see dirty actions that COULD lead to serious injury regularly. But because Moore had the unfortunate luck of the injury that was sustained, we're making this different somehow. Throw the book at him. He's the only one.

Ending his career my ass...I don't believe he couldn't come back. Not sure if anyone else ever saw it, but very shortly afterward when he did appear in his neckbrace for an interview, he took a nice swig off his water bottle. Seemingly with ease..tilted his head back as one would and had a drink. Now, does that signify he's not injured or doctor's have lied? No. But I think this lawsuit was designed from the second he realized he did have an injury....not down the road when he couldn't return to hockey. He likely decided he wouldn't. But doctors and judges will determine that.

The fact that rumours are that he's sought out Bert's side to reach a settlement out of court indicates to me that he's not so sure in all of this. But wait a minute...if this is about justice and restitution shouldn't he be digging his heels in with a firm stance? He'll lower his price? Why...if it's worth 38M from the start and your life is over, when does that change? When it perhaps becomes more lucrative to NOT proceed? $$. That's what this is about more so than anything else.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but, again, if you cheer when one guy pummels another out there during a game you're a hypocrite if you think this is shocking and criminal. Can't have your cake and eat it too...players are now realizing that brain injuries come with fighting...guys who've taken blows will also pay for that for the rest of their lives. So maybe they should all seeks millions in retribution. I'd prefer they accept that the game does come with risk. That it involves contact, some of which is fighting and anger driven.

People acting like this is outside of hockey are conveniently ignoring these arguments. Bert tugged his jersey - Moore himself had said he'd been warned - and he took a punch...one punch. Then a whole bunch of guys bore down on him on the ice. It was a very unfortunate series of events. But I'm tired of this and it needs to be over and let everyone drop it. Pay the man some money and let's move on....

Because that's what he's after...this is nothing to do with justice. For, if it was and it was removed from hockey why wasn't he filing a police report for threats he was receiving? Because he was out there despite it all and it only became "criminal" when he drew the short straw.

I, too, don't wish injury on anyone but I also can't stand those who try to cash in on them like a lottery.

We all know what i$ Moore's agenda. Having said that, Bert punched him... and the dog pile... and the crying... bla bla bla. What amazes me is that you never hear, especially on here, how Bert effectively drove Moore's head into the ice on the way down. THAT was the killer. THAT is what was criminal and against any "code". Do yourself a favour and watch the video with this perspective in mind. If you can deny that Bert meant to cripple (choose what word you like) the little prick in that very action, then you are in contempt of thought. Bert effectively broke his neck in a non-hockey play. WWF, maybe, but not hockey. It wasn't the dog pile.

eh true enough

End of the day we can all agree nobody expected the injuries that occurred to Moore after the incident...Maybe he should sue his team for jumping on Bert and him that caused the majority of the issues?

Can you prove that? You don't think at all that it's more likely it was Berts 240+ lbs coming down on Moore's neck into the ice?

I can understand people being angry at Moore. And I don't believe for a moment the actual result was ever Berts intention. But Moore didn't deserve to have his career ended in his rookie season. And that's the bottom line.

The true stupidity in the whole incident is all Bert (or any of the others chirping Moore) had to do was get in front of Moore, drop the gloves, grab hold and start punching. He would have got 2, 5, and a game misconduct and it would have been over. Down 7-0 who cares about the extra penalties? But instead Bert (and others) are trying to "talk" Moore into a fight to avoid the instigator and game misconduct. Why with the score the way it was in the third period? Taking the extra penalties would have no effect on the outcome of a game already lost. A sucker punch was a much better option.

I don't blame Moore for suing at all. His dream was taken away in his first season. He deserves whatever compensation he gets. No matter what the final figure is it won't actually compensate for losing your lifelong dream as a result of another persons stupidity.

Plain and simple Moore is greedy

Suck it up and move on with life, people in the real world get assaulted all the time and yours has an asterisk next to it cause it happened in a hockey game.

A dirty play but part of a game none the less.

Suck it up, 10 years?? Really??

Black eye on the NHL won't heal cause Steve keeps picking at the wound.

Bert is by no means innocent but give it up already.

Here's the thing: people make Bert out to be a monster and his actions despicable. Yet, some of those same people stand up and cheer when there's a face smashing punch in a fight or someone creams someone else with a hit. So that doesn't make sense. Is it ok by you? Is it not? Do they have to map out where the punches land? Do they send a memo first? Guys don't always "drop the gloves"...sometimes one guy grabs and goes at another. So if it's from the side or face first it's ok? But from behind with warning, it's not? When did we make rules that said some of this needs to go beyond the ice? And could we get that outline of that, so they all do? For there are plenty of injuries sustained because one guy basically assaulted another. Let's clean 'em all up then.

1 - Berts action was despicable. A sucker puch is about a low as you can get.

2 - You can't compare a big hit or two players dropping their gloves to a sucker punch. The first two the players have the opportunity to brace themselves and also to defend themselves. With a sucker punch you have no idea at all it's coming. You're not prepared for it nor can you defend against it. Every contact sports has injuries and it's an accepted risk. No contact sport condones a sucker punch.

3 - Did Bert warn Moore he was going to sucker punch him? I don't think so. You absolutely can not say Moore "had warning" in this incident. Moore was aware Bert wanted to fight him but he had no reason at all to expect to be sucker punched. The reason it's called a "sucker" punch is because the target has no idea at all that it's coming.

Moore should have seized on his courage and whatever strength he had to prove naysayers wrong and make a comeback to play. Lots of guys have come back from concussions - maybe not this bad - but it takes battle-hardened warriors to survive the NHL and give every last ounce of their strength even when things are bad.

Archived