The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Letter from Mike Gillis to Canucks STH

Visp

Trading Schneider was major frack up by Gillis not because of trading him, but lack of return and being fleeced for young player who may or may not be decent player. This era's version of Cam Neely trade and no i'm not comparing Schneider to Neely. Gillis has traded both Schneider and Luongo away, which was the best 1-2 tandem in league and not much to show for it. If that doesn't say total incompetence then I don't know what does. Gillis got lucky on Santorelli and Richardson. As for AV firing, I really don't think it was Gillis but rather decision of ownership telling him to do so.

Current ownership treats players, employees and fans very badly. The way Luongo was treated was totally disgusting and embarrassing.

Anyone is better then Gillis. You sound in absolute shock and utter disbelief Obviously, you're a supporter of his. Heck, I wouldn't put it past this organization to have people on here posting in his favor, defending him, etc.

There's no point in wasting anymore time with someone who thinks the way you do and there's quite alot of them.

That's some pretty dumb logic. This era's version of the Neely trade, but not comparing Schneider to Neely. The analogy is terrible and depends upon the weak comparison. That's a fail.

Not much to show for it? What that says is not that Gillis is incompetent, but that you don't know what you're talking about.

You'll have to elaborate on the disgusting and embarrassing treatment of Luongo. A few people have tried to maintain that, but can come up with little more than the standard 'can't you see how he's been mistreated?' 'It's so obvious'.....'goes without saying...'

Go ahead and elaborate. I've yet to hear a decent qualification of this claim.

If anyone were better than Gillis, I'd happily wish a few of them on your team (if in fact the case) - unfortunately that happens to be my team as well and the last thing this organization needs is to turn it over to some of the names being bantered around on these boards.

That ridiculous comment that the folks you're arguing here may have been placed on these boards to defend Gillis about sums up how dumb you've downed this conversation.

Hahahaha Wow! I thought there were some drama queens on this board before but you definitely have to take the cake. I heard that Gillis sent Putin a text asking him if he could try and distract the world

Haha! "Hey Vladdy, could you sort of invade the Ukraine for me?" :ph34r:

That's some pretty dumb logic. This era's version of the Neely trade, but not comparing Schneider to Neely. The analogy is terrible and depends upon the weak comparison. That's a fail.

Not much to show for it? What that says is not that Gillis is incompetent, but that you don't know what you're talking about.

You'll have to elaborate on the disgusting and embarrassing treatment of Luongo. A few people have tried to maintain that, but can come up with little more than the standard 'can't you see how he's been mistreated?' 'It's so obvious'.....'goes without saying...'

Go ahead and elaborate. I've yet to hear a decent qualification of this claim.

If anyone were better than Gillis, I'd happily wish a few of them on your team (if in fact the case) - unfortunately that happens to be my team as well and the last thing this organization needs is to turn it over to some of the names being bantered around on these boards.

That ridiculous comment that the folks you're arguing here may have been placed on these boards to defend Gillis about sums up how dumb you've downed this conversation.

I wasn't going to bother with him any more, but that saves me the effort even if I did want to. I guess I just got him riled up and let him loose on you all.

:lol:

+1 to both of you.

Actually, it's funny because the topic came up in conversation with a good friend of mine. I usually don't get to in depth in real world conversations with people but he wanted to know my stance. I realized I'd been on CDC too much arguing with the peons when I automatically reverted to trying to prove the "Gillis isn't as bad a GM as you think" argument rather than just discussing the good and bad things he's done.

Sundin had 8 points in 8 playoff games for us. Booth had 29 points in 56 games before injuries derailed his career. He brought in Demitra (RIP), Samuelsson, Malhotra, Higgins, Lapierre, Hamhuis and Ehrhoff to complete the team that was truly worthy of being called the best in the NHL in 2011 (even if they fell one game short). He found Tanev and Lack, and picked Stanton off the waiver wire as well as getting Santorelli, Richardson, Matthias, etc. to fill the gaps. He's drafted some excellent picks in more recent years and we finally have a bright side for prospects.

But he's also drafted somewhat poorly in his first few years here, at least average with a number of players falling off the map or soon to be. There's no shortage of negative press and reaction to the Luongo saga and that's surely had some affect on the team, and there's no question the Booth and Ballard deals really didn't work out. He probably could have got the Sedins for less if he'd waited. He hasn't been able to add top end pieces more recently to help keep the core winning and instead is in limbo between a rebuild and trying to contend.

There's a lot of good in my mind compared to the drawbacks and there are more qualifications with the drawbacks then there are with the good things.

I put it this way when we finally got to talking about the real stuff around Gillis, he's no Ken Holland or Ray Shero, but he's certainly a damn sight better than Snow or Regier - and I certainly wouldn't want Burke back in his place if I ever held any hope of getting better again.

Haha! "Hey Vladdy, could you sort of invade the Ukraine for me?" :ph34r:

I wasn't going to bother with him any more, but that saves me the effort even if I did want to. I guess I just got him riled up and let him loose on you all.

:lol:

+1 to both of you.

Actually, it's funny because the topic came up in conversation with a good friend of mine. I usually don't get to in depth in real world conversations with people but he wanted to know my stance. I realized I'd been on CDC too much arguing with the peons when I automatically reverted to trying to prove the "Gillis isn't as bad a GM as you think" argument rather than just discussing the good and bad things he's done.

Sundin had 8 points in 8 playoff games for us. Booth had 29 points in 56 games before injuries derailed his career. He brought in Demitra (RIP), Samuelsson, Malhotra, Higgins, Lapierre, Hamhuis and Ehrhoff to complete the team that was truly worthy of being called the best in the NHL in 2011 (even if they fell one game short). He found Tanev and Lack, and picked Stanton off the waiver wire as well as getting Santorelli, Richardson, Matthias, etc. to fill the gaps. He's drafted some excellent picks in more recent years and we finally have a bright side for prospects.

But he's also drafted somewhat poorly in his first few years here, at least average with a number of players falling off the map or soon to be. There's no shortage of negative press and reaction to the Luongo saga and that's surely had some affect on the team, and there's no question the Booth and Ballard deals really didn't work out. He probably could have got the Sedins for less if he'd waited. He hasn't been able to add top end pieces more recently to help keep the core winning and instead is in limbo between a rebuild and trying to contend.

There's a lot of good in my mind compared to the drawbacks and there are more qualifications with the drawbacks then there are with the good things.

I put it this way when we finally got to talking about the real stuff around Gillis, he's no Ken Holland or Ray Shero, but he's certainly a damn sight better than Snow or Regier - and I certainly wouldn't want Burke back in his place if I ever held any hope of getting better again.

I'd agree that the Canucks drafting wasn't great the first year or two under Gillis - but at the same time, it wasn't bad either - Hodgson and Sauve in year one (Sauve never really the same after getting hit by a car) and then Schroeder, Connauton as well as Andersson and Connata who could still turn out of that class. I don't expect a GM to step in and make these changes overnight - it takes time to know your people, your scouts, etc and he never came accross as the dictating type. I think he trusts his people unless he himself is informed enough on a particular issue to put his foot down. Wolves GM Wendell Young comes to mind - who wasn't even really under MG's employ - he described being brought into the trade deadline process, saw some players on the board that the Canucks were considering moving, and was essentially given veto power to advise against certain moves involving prospects playing for him.In the drafting and unsigned free agent respect, I think MG really got his game rolling a couple years into his tenure, to where now I think the youth is perhaps the best ever in the history of the franchise.

As for Holland - not sure anyone can compete with Holland. It'd take quite a long stretch of success to be in that class - but at the same time - he took over in 1997 - a team with Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom, Larionov, Shanahan, Kozlov, Draper, Holmstrom, Maltby and Murphy on the roster. Pretty good core to work with and build around. He did, however, also have a formative hand before becoming GM.

Shero - I think he's over-rated to be honest. I don't think I'd swap Gillis for him - actually I know I wouldn't. Shero stepped in having Crosby and Malkin taken #1 overall the two years previous. He had the #2 overall himself, which he used to take Staal (passing on Toews btw - could you imagine Crosby, Malkin, Toews....?). Anyhow, I look at how hyped he's been, but I don't care for the majority of his deals. Last deadline he went on a spending spree renting Morrow, Iginla and Douglas Murray (for two 2nds to SJ damnit, whose GM I'd take in a flash over Shero). The Pens have been pereniallly porous on the backend, and he spends like crazy on a pair of veteran UFA forwards and a pylon. His starter has been shaky year after year in the playoffs, something he's never really resolved, Vokoun taking Fleury's job last year in the playoffs, to no avail, as they once again bow out early. 2007, 2008, and 2009 yielded very little as he enjoyed late picks like Gillis. Despres, Morrow (dealt), Bennett and Harrington to show up to 2011. I liked the Staal deal, and they've turned that into Pouliot to go with Maata, but overall, I can't say that I consider him to be as good as the hype. The Neal deal was good, I like the Goc deal, Kunitz has turned out well (although he gave up Whitney)... Hate to say it but I think the B's have a much better GM.

I'd agree that the Canucks drafting wasn't great the first year or two under Gillis - but at the same time, it wasn't bad either - Hodgson and Sauve in year one (Sauve never really the same after getting hit by a car) and then Schroeder, Connauton as well as Andersson and Connata who could still turn out of that class. I don't expect a GM to step in and make these changes overnight - it takes time to know your people, your scouts, etc and he never came accross as the dictating type. I think he trusts his people unless he himself is informed enough on a particular issue to put his foot down. Wolves GM Wendell Young comes to mind - who wasn't even really under MG's employ - he described being brought into the trade deadline process, saw some players on the board that the Canucks were considering moving, and was essentially given veto power to advise against certain moves involving prospects playing for him.In the drafting and unsigned free agent respect, I think MG really got his game rolling a couple years into his tenure, to where now I think the youth is perhaps the best ever in the history of the franchise.

As for Holland - not sure anyone can compete with Holland. It'd take quite a long stretch of success to be in that class - but at the same time - he took over in 1997 - a team with Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom, Larionov, Shanahan, Kozlov, Draper, Holmstrom, Maltby and Murphy on the roster. Pretty good core to work with and build around. He did, however, also have a formative hand before becoming GM.

Shero - I think he's over-rated to be honest. I don't think I'd swap Gillis for him - actually I know I wouldn't. Shero stepped in having Crosby and Malkin taken #1 overall the two years previous. He had the #2 overall himself, which he used to take Staal (passing on Toews btw - could you imagine Crosby, Malkin, Toews....?). Anyhow, I look at how hyped he's been, but I don't care for the majority of his deals. Last deadline he went on a spending spree renting Morrow, Iginla and Douglas Murray (for two 2nds to SJ damnit, whose GM I'd take in a flash over Shero). The Pens have been pereniallly porous on the backend, and he spends like crazy on a pair of veteran UFA forwards and a pylon. His starter has been shaky year after year in the playoffs, something he's never really resolved, Vokoun taking Fleury's job last year in the playoffs, to no avail, as they once again bow out early. 2007, 2008, and 2009 yielded very little as he enjoyed late picks like Gillis. Despres, Morrow (dealt), Bennett and Harrington to show up to 2011. I liked the Staal deal, and they've turned that into Pouliot to go with Maata, but overall, I can't say that I consider him to be as good as the hype. The Neal deal was good, I like the Goc deal, Kunitz has turned out well (although he gave up Whitney)... Hate to say it but I think the B's have a much better GM.

I have a feeling Schroeder will be gone after this season.

I have a feeling Schroeder will be gone after this season.

He's an RFA whose qualifying offer will only have to be $660 k, so that bodes well for his chances to either stay or have decent market value in a trade. He's also been injured twice this year, so it's pretty hard to assess his development.

Why does Gillis mention the great Dane Fox, but he doesn't mention his prized possession of Zack Kassian whom we gave up so much for?

Kassian isn't a prospect. He's a roster player - has been for a couple seasons now.

Gillis didn't mention Lack, Tanev, Stanton, or Schroeder either.

He was clearly referring to prospects - youth that are in the system.

Dane Fox has 62 goals and 101 points in 64 games this season in Erie. Worth noting.

Kassian isn't a prospect. He's a roster player - has been for a couple seasons now.

Gillis didn't mention Lack, Tanev, Stanton, or Schroeder either.

He was clearly referring to prospects - youth that are in the system.

Dane Fox has 62 goals and 101 points in 64 games this season in Erie. Worth noting.

If there is a roster player that's a project it's zack.

I am sure a lot of people got this but couldn't find a post on it already, some interesting things said that come straight from the GM's mouth (pen);

With the trade deadline a week behind us, I wanted to communicate directly with our Season Ticket Members. You are a very important part of the Canucks family, and I’d like to give you more insight into last week’s developments and our plan for the team going forward.

In addition, I will be inviting you to participate in a webcast after I get home from the GM meetings and upcoming road trip. I want to articulate our plans with you openly and want to give you an opportunity to ask questions so that you have a greater understanding of the vision.

Our mission remains the same: to win the Stanley Cup. Last summer we said we had to make some changes to our team. We need to get younger, faster and stronger to succeed. That process is happening now, as we look to retool by surrounding our veteran stars with new, young talent. You can look at Anaheim as a recent example of a team that has retooled successfully.

Trading Roberto was not an easy decision. We are grateful for his tremendous contribution to our team and city, and we wish him much success. But the moves we've made go beyond goaltending. We are now younger and we are getting deeper. We've added a big, strong 6'4" centre in Shawn Matthias, who is excited to be here and will help this team now. And we believe in our talented group of prospects, including Bo Horvat, Nicklas Jensen, Frank Corrado, Dane Fox, Brendan Gaunce and Hunter Shinkaruk, who will be part of our short and long-term success. We are also well positioned financially, having created over $5 million in cap room to make the right deals for this team. That's in addition to the $7 million we expect the salary cap to increase next season.

We approached the deadline with long-term success in mind. We were prepared to make a hockey deal on trade deadline day, not a short-term fix. The players offered at the deadline did not fit our vision of where we want our team to go. We need to get younger and more balanced to be more competitive, and we didn’t see the right players to accomplish that goal. We are not willing to compromise our long-term vision for the sake of change.

We are committed to putting a winning team on the ice for you. Our ownership is supportive and will invest whatever it takes to bring the Cup to Vancouver. As we move towards this goal we will continue to invest in your arena and Canucks fan experience.

Thank you again for your continued support. We are enduring a challenging period, but your passion makes it possible for us to put our team in a position to compete. Our organization is committed to doing whatever it takes to win, and we want you to be here with us when we achieve our goal.

Sincerely,

MG3.jpg

Michael D. Gillis

President and General Manager

Vancouver Canucks

WE ARE ALL CANUCKS

Reply to General Manager from a Shareholder

Dear Mr. Gillis:

With the Entry Draft a mere 3 months ahead of us, I wanted to communicate directly with the General Manager. You, also, are a very important part of the Canucks family, so I'd like to give YOU some insight into my plans for the future.

I became involved with this team approximately 40 years before YOU came on the scene; in fact I was a season ticket holder before the Canucks were accepted into the NHL. The Canucks of the Western Hockey League provided entertaining hockey and boasted such players as Andy Bathgate, "Keke" Mortson, Phil Maloney, George Gardner and many others. In fact, they won the Championship that year, their last before entering the NHL.

Since 1970-1971, I have shared in the team's triumphs and disappointments, and have remained a faithful follower. The "near misses" in 1982, 1994 and 2011 were both wonderful and devastating. 2011 was probably the closest I recall to being convinced that, finally, a championship was OURS. But, a good team beat us.

I had hoped that you would have built off that success and near triumph. Instead, it seems you have elected to basically stand pat. Yes, there have been some minor tweaks, but the required "coup de grace" in the form of a subtle upgrade to the roster went begging. And now, after 2 years of spinning our wheels while other clubs improved their lot, reality sets in and we will miss the playoffs.

Pay attention now, Mr.Gillis, because the result is that we will receive a top 10 draft pick. So, in order to act on your apology letter, at draft day you need to work some magic. Prior to draft day, interview ALL your players, especially those with No Trade Clauses. Tell them you are looking to rebuild and determine who do not wish to be a part of this and will accept a trade, Then move some older, established pieces for quality youth, obtain some additional 1st. round picks and draft some players who will be IMPACT players in 2 - 3 years. Yes, we can wait that long, it will be worth it. What I wish to see is real young talent with a desire to win, players who will compete and who wish to win a cup. Oh, and stop writing No Trade Clauses into contracts; at least put a moratorium on such clauses, such as 2 years maximum.

My plan for the future is to continue to faithfully support the Vancouver Canucks. However, I need you to do your bit, as outlined above. If that does not happen, my paid attendance will be lost to the organization. Multiply that by +/- 12,000 and there will be serious issues.

I look forward with great interest to the June Draft to review your progress. Many thanks; your support is appreciated.

cc: Mr. Aquilini

Reply to General Manager from a Shareholder

Dear Mr. Gillis:

With the Entry Draft a mere 3 months ahead of us, I wanted to communicate directly with the General Manager. You, also, are a very important part of the Canucks family, so I'd like to give YOU some insight into my plans for the future.

I became involved with this team approximately 40 years before YOU came on the scene; in fact I was a season ticket holder before the Canucks were accepted into the NHL. The Canucks of the Western Hockey League provided entertaining hockey and boasted such players as Andy Bathgate, "Keke" Mortson, Phil Maloney, George Gardner and many others. In fact, they won the Championship that year, their last before entering the NHL.

Since 1970-1971, I have shared in the team's triumphs and disappointments, and have remained a faithful follower. The "near misses" in 1982, 1994 and 2011 were both wonderful and devastating. 2011 was probably the closest I recall to being convinced that, finally, a championship was OURS. But, a good team beat us.

I had hoped that you would have built off that success and near triumph. Instead, it seems you have elected to basically stand pat. Yes, there have been some minor tweaks, but the required "coup de grace" in the form of a subtle upgrade to the roster went begging. And now, after 2 years of spinning our wheels while other clubs improved their lot, reality sets in and we will miss the playoffs.

Pay attention now, Mr.Gillis, because the result is that we will receive a top 10 draft pick. So, in order to act on your apology letter, at draft day you need to work some magic. Prior to draft day, interview ALL your players, especially those with No Trade Clauses. Tell them you are looking to rebuild and determine who do not wish to be a part of this and will accept a trade, Then move some older, established pieces for quality youth, obtain some additional 1st. round picks and draft some players who will be IMPACT players in 2 - 3 years. Yes, we can wait that long, it will be worth it. What I wish to see is real young talent with a desire to win, players who will compete and who wish to win a cup. Oh, and stop writing No Trade Clauses into contracts; at least put a moratorium on such clauses, such as 2 years maximum.

My plan for the future is to continue to faithfully support the Vancouver Canucks. However, I need you to do your bit, as outlined above. If that does not happen, my paid attendance will be lost to the organization. Multiply that by +/- 12,000 and there will be serious issues.

I look forward with great interest to the June Draft to review your progress. Many thanks; your support is appreciated.

cc: Mr. Aquilini

Thank you for your letter.

We have an Armchair GMing forum here at CDC that I'm sure you will enjoy.

Your prescription of a "subtle upgrade to the roster" is duly noted, as well as the goal of finding IMPACT players who wish to win a cup.

"WE ARE ENDURING A CHALLENGING PERIOD"

That's the part that worries me. MG has no business being a GM , he was pretty much handed the team that made the finals and could not figure out what changes were needed after we lost. Hammer and Garrison we're is only good acquisitions IMO, every other move has been horrible. He has made one terrible trade after another, totally demolishing this team I love so much . I live and die with the Nucks but with him at the head of the table I will find it hard to pay a premium price for tickets. The future of this team looks very ominous. How this summer goes will determine how long this team and fans will suffer, if the right moves aren't made it will be a long hard climb to get back on top, and I don't believe MG has the hockey knowledge to pull it off.

Some of these comments make me sick to my stomach, calling season ticket holders sucker and losers? Are you really happy if they don't renew and our team ends up like the Panthers with 50% attendance on a nightly basis? The fact of the matter is these STH are the ones that keep the Canucks in Vancouver and with their support our team has become one of the most valuable sports franchises in North America. Yap at ownership/MG/JT/players all you want but it's down right disgraceful and disrespectful to say such things to the STH and regular attendees of the games.

Every team goes through peaks and slumps and it's during the slumps these STH and customers are most critical to the team. Show some respect for crying out loud.

Okay let's be honest and realistic here, Gillis did some good moves but also alot crappy deals and bs. BUT for the last 2 years, he really went downhill. I am glad he mentioned he's rebuilding the team to compete for the cup, but ummm.. let's see, the team is bad and will continue to get worse (I mentioned this on another post) probably for the rest of this season or the next one or next few in matter of facts. So like no kidding Sherlocks, aren't all the NHL teams' mission is to be a contender for the cup? So let's toss that out the window. And he goes on about building a younger and faster team, ummmm.. sure sure so that means there's going to be a horse race now? I am not going to go on and on, but let's face it, this team is done for for the next few years because this isn't a team anymore because clearly this organization is at a lost as of now. PERIOD

Dear. Mister Gillis.

Please excuse all the moron wanna-be GM's here on the CDC who make a big white bear up in the arctic circle look like nothing when it comes to being polar.. Bi-Polar!

These people who would have traded the Sedins away long before they devoloped into super stars (traded for a bag of pucks), Thrown out Luongo before he got us into some play-off's that no business being in to begin with... etc.. etc... etc... etc... etc... etc... and this team would have looked worse than the florida panthers for years. Oh and the same rings true for the vancouver media writers who think they're bonifide hockey experts too.

Why you ever agreed to come here of all places is beyond me but i'll certainly be glad when you do have the money to spend as you had originally hoped for before the lock-out took place will be a welcome sight and i'll be the first person to pass around salt and pepper for a lot of these twits here to eat their words GOING BACKWARDS! :)

Archived