The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Letter from Mike Gillis to Canucks STH

Visp

This is an interesting one. Indicates that perhaps a move towards utilizing upcoming drafts to acquire more franchise-type talent may be in the works, and the all losing in the meantime will be made tolerable by having a kick-ass arena.

I believe the fanbase can definitely buy into that, if that is indeed the approach.

Frankly, it's inevitable that this happens as the team is well beyond the Sedins' ability to carry now, so we might as well get it out of the way asap. Good timing, as the 2015 draft is killer.

But if the plan is to utilize our current, shallow prospect pool instead, as what the start of the letter goes into, well, that's just a non-starter. There's no top-tier elite talent there, with all due respect to that list of prospects.

This is exactly it. We need to make really BOLD moves and get some more elite talent on this team.

How do you run a team into the ground? You hire a coach that you know his style to be defensive requiring big strong players and then you put that coach in charge of a team that is not big and strong but instead relies on skilled plays and power play goals. I can't fault Tortorella for coaching the way he does because he was hired with that reputation and in fact was expected to coach that way by Gillis. Gillis has put the wrong coach with this type of team. That's his first mistake.

Gillis also admitted in an interview that league play had moved towards a more defensive style and that penalties are no longer being called the way they used to. And he said he has been slow to react to it. That's his second mistake.

The third mistake may be slightly debatable but if he was going to unload Luongo it should have been done last summer so that he would have cap space for a free agent to help this team from game 1. Instead he traded Schneider, go look at Schneiders stats. He's not a rookie anymore, year after year he's posted good numbers. What do we now have for a goalie? From having a tough choice between two good goalies (goalie controversy) to having no choice at all.

Then there's the Luongo saga over two years. Who thinks Gillis is doing a good job? Rumour has it that I'm available for the GM job. I don't think I could do worse.

Gillis saying FA is willing to spend what it takes to win a cup...what a load of crap! If true, he would have bought out Lu and kept Schneider. All lies and PR BS! There s no plan. Gillis just spews whatever the flavour of the day is. Today it's youth and depth. It will be something different tomorrow.

Yes he is a total flavour of the month GM.

I dunno bro. The 4th most valuable team according to Forbes, a lineup 74 miles long for seasons tickets. I don't think Gillis worries much about corporate and season ticket support. There will always be a large pool of silver, haired rich folk salivating over season tickets. Gillis pretty much had to come out with this given how STANKY the team is these days.

The buzz is that corporations are going to buy-up a lot more seats to Whitecaps games - instead. Better entertainment value with the affordable tickets ....more international/global appeal of that game....and - those fanatical & very entertaining South-siders make the stadium experience much more fun - than being inside Roger's arena...win or lose!

My how the times have changed, eh?

Wait the Ducks?

I thought the new model he was trying to copy was the Sharks?

Old core that got injected with some younger guys and more speed and energy with Hertl and Nieto.

They seem more similar to the Canucks in more ways than one than the Ducks. I don't see it...

I would have less problems with his "plan" if it didn't change year to year based on whatever team wins the cup.

Too bad this isn't the NFL and you can't just cut guys and overhaul the roster in an off-season with ready to play draft picks.

It's a process alright.. process for what, that is still to be seen. :sadno:

he may not be stupid enough to say it openly like kevin lowe, but the reality is there are two tiers of fans.

season ticket holders make up 90% (literally -- 17000 sth Ă· 18910 total seats = 90%) of the teams ticket and concession sales, and likely the majority of merch sales too.

season ticket holders pay gillis's salary. view them as shareholders. he owes them an explanation; he owes nothing to unpaying fans.

They aren't shareholders, they are customers. The best customers. It's not so much that you ignore other customers but you treat the ones that pay you over $10,000 a year for a pair of good seats a little better.

It's common sense business practise but sports is different because there is a sense of civic responsibility that other businesses don't have. Even though you may not spend thousands a year you are still emotionally invested. Other corporations don't have that issue. It is hard to appease disappointed people that aren't really your core customer base but are still huge fans and supporters of the team. And they do spend money and often times more of their proportional income.

However, very soon season ticket renewals are going to be due with deposits and that has to be the main objective at this point. In 2011 it would have been easy. Send the letter to the STH and charge the credit card on file. Now it's going to be much more difficult to convince to people to drop their money with all the uncertainty. He is trying to appease that group of fans first because to go forward with the plan Gillis needs to know that the funds are there.

I think there are some problems surrounding this letter as well.

The fact that he hasn't mentioned the coaching staff is problematic to me. Not a positive or a negative. I think that the coaching staff is sort of important to the direction of the club.

And to the point about the salary cap. There now seems to be more information coming out the cap won't be rising nearly as much as anticipated due to the decline of the Canadian dollar. It could be as low as $68 but he has it at $71 in this letter. Even if the information currently coming out proves to be wrong you would think that he would have the sense to temper expectations.

And long term if the dollar stays low it means the cap likely grows at a lower rate. And the Canucks are dealing in a 10% decline in revenue due to outside economic factors before any dip in sales because of this down year. No playoffs also means a big loss in ticket sales, concessions and mech. Revenues are going to be down in Canuck land this year and that is tough for an owner to swallow.

This is going to get ugly before it gets better. Under this current ownership group the team has enjoyed unprecedented stability. Now for the first time they are facing the music and a lot of us forget that Vancouver isn't always an easy sell. This isn't like Edmonton, Calgary or Toronto where the fans just keep coming whether you win or lose. Winning is more important to overall fan support with the Canucks.

It is interesting to see that Gillis is on the offensive when it comes to selling season tickets. Kind of ironic when you think of the season!

Agree with what you said except the part I pointed out. Matthias is already a bonified 3rd line player so in no way can he be a 3rd line player at tops lol. He's a 2nd line player tops and currently an excellent 3rd liner.

I like the looks of him a lot more then kass and we got him for a lot less.

Archived