The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We Need European Skill to Compliment Size

BureisBest

Coming up to the 2014 draft, I believe management is set on drafting another kid from North America with a lot of size and grit. While I see the benefit in building your team around that model, I think that to be a truly dynamic and dangerous offense, you need that European skill to compliment that size and grit. If you can find it in a North American player, just as well (Shinkaruk may develop into this), but it's more likely to come from Europe.

The two teams that jump to mind when thinking of physically imposing teams built around that model are Boston and LA; however, both have achieved success with Euro-skill complimenting their grit.

Boston has David Krejci, while LA has Anze Kopitar. Krejci led the playoffs in scoring in 2011 & 2013. Kopitar led the playoffs in scoring in 2012.

Even if you look at the Blues, they have Steen, Tarasenko, and Berglund complimenting the likes of Backes, Morrow, and Ott.

Take it a step further with the SJ Sharks. They seem to have found their gamebreaker in Tomas Hertl.

We have a young kid in Nicklas Jensen who appears to have some of that dynamic talent, but we don't have a large enough sample size yet to know if he is "the real deal", or a flash in the pan. Most wouldn't argue that while on his streak, Jensen injected offense and excitement into a stagnant offense. Something that we as fans felt like was missing for a long time.

If we would have held onto Grabner, we would have a gamebreaker in our line-up already.

Some might argue we already have these players in the Sedins. I would disagree. They are a unique combination, but they are getting older, often-injured, and their production has taken a nose-dive. As well, they don't compliment the entire lineup as much as they do themselves. They play catch with each other out there, and when it doesn't work, they really don't impact the game. We've all seen it before, and especially this year. Don't get me wrong, they are Canucks legends and have given a lot to this team and community. I just think they are a unique breed that is slowing down considerably.

At the 2014 NHL Entry Draft on June 27, I would like to see us go up to the podium and call the name of Draisaitl, Nylander, Kapanen, or Pastrnak. We need to inject some flare and skill into the line-up to go along with all of the size, grit, and North American prospects we have coming through the system.

We passed on Nichuskin in favour or Horvat last year, and time will tell if that was the right call; however, his 32 points and team-leading +18 are looking pretty good right now, and his 14 goals would equal Daniel Sedin's for 3rd best on our roster. Did we get burned by passing on the Russian? Possibly. Again, time will tell.

Just think of what Bure did for our team in those years. While it's nearly impossible to find another Hall-of-Famer like Pavel, sometimes it pays big dividends to gamble on an alleged selfish player like William Nylander or the flashy Fin, Kasperi Kapanen. In the long-run, I think it's players like those who will be a catalyst for the team on nights, especially in the playoffs, where the offense looks sluggish.

Kapanen:

Nylander:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZfZM0Pn4z4

There's no written law to winning ex: having 10 Canadians, 7 Americans, 5 Euros on your roster etc.

It's a myth...you can win with anyone. It's about having good players who can perform well. History has showcased you can win with just about anyone with whatever nationality.

We don't need European skill, we need good offensive players. It doesn't matter where they're from, they just need to put the puck in the net.

History has showcased you can win with just about anyone with whatever nationality.

Like I said, if it comes from North America, just as well, but it's more likely to come from Europe.

I am all down for adding European scoring depth. But I would really like to see a very strong offensive presnce on our team from Canada. Canadian players imo have more passion and are able to elevate their game to another level in the playoffs. (higher %). Not saying some Europeans can because they have proven they have and can. But the one thing that really frustrates me is the lack of elite Canadian players playing on Canadian teams. (There are some. but wish there was more.)

Grabner the game breaking one dimensional 3rd liner. I love it when people bring him up.

We don't need European skill, we need good offensive players. It doesn't matter where they're from, they just need to put the puck in the net.

Thought the same thing as soon as I read the post.

Grabner definitely isn't a game breaker.

I am all down for adding European scoring depth. But I would really like to see a very strong offensive presnce on our team from Canada. Canadian players imo have more passion and are able to elevate their game to another level in the playoffs. (higher %). Not saying some Europeans can because they have proven they have and can. But the one thing that really frustrates me is the lack of elite Canadian players playing on Canadian teams. (There are some. but wish there was more.)

Yep, definitely. I'm a huge Euro fan too (Detroit also being my fav team) but I personally like the Canadian route and it's working. Last draft was arguably the best in a long, long time and why? Drafted good ol Canaidna boys from the OHL, WHL which they didn't do not too long ago. Having a European guy with flash and dazzle is awesome and all but for the reasons stated by the above used, my preference is to Canadians. Doesn't mean I don't want Euros, I love them, but yea lol.

History has also showcased that 6 of the past 7 years, the playoff scoring leader or co-leader has been European.

On teams with a boat load of Canadians and Americans

Kapanen and Nylander aren't going to be Kopitar and Krejci. Ever.

This draft is very, very weak. It's thin on defensemen in general, depth in general, decent euro prospects and truly elite talents.

If the Canucks rise again next season, that means they once again picked the wrong draft to finish poorly for.

Anyway, we don't have skilled size beyond Kassian, so what exactly do we need to complement here?

Grabner has done exactly squat this year and has a massive contract

Nylanders biggest knock is that he's just like his dad, who had 2 solid seasons after the 04-05 lockout where you couldn't touch a player after clutch and grab crept back in he was a cream puff who did very little

Kapanen has NEVER played on the small NA ice and we've seen countless times where Europeans do not translate well because of that. So huge gamble

Complaining about Nicushkin still is kind of ridiculous. There were reasons Nicushkin was passed on by so many. Flat out saying I don't have to do the combine because I don't want to, is not a team first attitude and Torts would have buried that guy on the 4th line all season because of it

We have a shot at a local RW, a massive fast skating PWF a large complete 2 way player or a solid and sick center. Virtanen, Ritchie and Perlini for our draft selection as it stands are as good as it gets. Ehlers and Drasitl and Dal Colle would be ok provided Ehlers pans out etc.

But this draft is weak weak compared to last year and next years. We take what we get this year end of story.

Next year if we have another off year there are a great deal more skilled players both European and North America.

"Skilled" players are just that. Doesn't matter where they come from.

But again....Grabner a game breaker? Really?

Grabner the game breaking one dimensional 3rd liner. I love it when people bring him up.

Grabner had one good year and has been awful since then. He also has a cap hit which is horrible for his production level. He is not "the one that got away."

I just want the Canucks to have a roster full of guys who want to play here, with talent and that competitive drive that cannot be measured. They need players who can elevate their game when the team needs it and lead when times get tough. I could care less where those players are from.

Some might argue we already have these players in the Sedins. I would disagree. They are a unique combination, but they are getting older, often-injured, and their production has taken a nose-dive. As well, they don't compliment the entire lineup as much as they do themselves. They play catch with each other out there, and when it doesn't work, they really don't impact the game. We've all seen it before, and especially this year. Don't get me wrong, they are Canucks legends and have given a lot to this team and community. I just think they are a unique breed that is slowing down considerably.

Often injured?? This season both Henrik and Daniel had some injuries, yes. To say that makes them "often-injured" seems like a stretch.

Grabner definitely isn't a game breaker.

Grabner has done exactly squat this year and has a massive contract

But again....Grabner a game breaker? Really?

Grabner had one good year and has been awful since then. He also has a cap hit which is horrible for his production level. He is not "the one that got away."

Perhaps we have a different understanding of the term "gamebreaker". In my opinion, it's a player who can create something out of nothing, "break" the game open and change the momentum with a special play. Grabner is that type of player. He has blistering speed and skill, and has managed to put up 82 goals (11 of them short-handed) and 130 points since leaving us. Am I saying he is a franchise player or one of the best in the league? No. I'm saying he can break a game wide open with his speed and skill, and has done so many times.

Often injured?? This season both Henrik and Daniel had some injuries, yes. To say that makes them "often-injured" seems like a stretch.

What I said was "they are getting often injured", as in, recently. They hadn't been up until the last couple of years; now it appears they're breaking down,

Archived