The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Team 1040 Interview

Cold Hard Truth

"my sole purpose here is to win. And I'm prepared to do whatever it takes to do that"

Mike.

Are you willing to ask your players if they're willing to waive their NTCs?

Because that's what it's gonna take to win the Cup.

Gillis: "...the top teams play that way. That's the way we played. And in playing that way, we made a lot of enemies.."

And how interesting and I do agree, but then the stream cut out so I didn't get the rest of the quote; that the top Western teams are hard to play against because they're copies of the Vancouver Canucks at their best. And frankly, you know you have won the day when what beats you is your own creation.

So as a fair trade, does Gillis stay if he's willing to rebuild this team into what it's going to be anyways?

Because that's what it's gonna take to win the Cup.

I want to know why MG had an interview on a random day, with guys he knew that would ask him tough probing questions, rather than wait til the end of the season. He put Torts in a tough spot where JT had to basically be on defense mode against blood sucking media sharks. I think it was total BS on MG's part.. what is he accomplishing here? While you can blame the toronto media for their unfair portrayals, why play into the hands of those guys by feeding these monsters? MG may be ok in terms of hockey moves but he's a PR nightmare. Why would any player want to play on this gong show of a team? What a mess.

I was pretty underwhelmed by Gillis' interview myself.

It sounded like what is by this time predictable finger pointing. While it is refreshing to hear that he seems willing to share some of the blame, Im not sure how his ultimatum type approach helps anything. If it leads to his being excused after the season is over, then perhaps he has done the organization a great favor, at least indirectly.

The admission that "we" have been chasing moving goal posts was very discouraging, because this is exactly what I feared he was doing.

In truth, its not so much "we" plural its more just "him" this whole time and it sounds like he has finally figured out that changing the plan all of the time might not be a good idea.

And then the kicker is when he says we already have the players to play an up tempo transition game.... how do you figure? We dont even have a single decent PMD...

Bob Nicholson for president.... Gretzky as gm...

Watch.

Want to put some money on that? .. Gillis will return and shut the pack of naysayers up to the point they pick another target, or continue to flail at the windmill that is Mike .. best start looking for another one soon .. :lol:

I want to know why MG had an interview on a random day, with guys he knew that would ask him tough probing questions, rather than wait til the end of the season. He put Torts in a tough spot where JT had to basically be on defense mode against blood sucking media sharks. I think it was total BS on MG's part.. what is he accomplishing here? While you can blame the toronto media for their unfair portrayals, why play into the hands of those guys by feeding these monsters? MG may be ok in terms of hockey moves but he's a PR nightmare. Why would any player want to play on this gong show of a team? What a mess.

Why would any fan want to cheer for this gong show of a team?

"I think we have the personnel to do it. And if we don't have the personnel to do it, they'll be changed."

Is that Gillis giving this group one more chance? So looks like Gillis still hasn't seen what everyone else in the world sees.

:(

I think the guys we have are the right ones, and that cap space is what Gillis is frothing at the mouth for. He can sign a nice FA with the cash. Booth buyout and we got Kesler a winger.

I think the guys we have are the right ones, and that cap space is what Gillis is frothing at the mouth for. He can sign a nice FA with the cash. Booth buyout and we got Kesler a winger.

We are far from being one winger away from the Cup, which is Gillis' stated goal.

Don't expect us to make any major free agent signings. Everyone else has a ton of cap space as well... most more than us.

There are very few high quality UFAs out there this summer and every team has enough space to add one.

You will see mediocre players like Callahan getting the $7 million he wants on a long term deal just because of supply and demand.

If we are going to get better it will have to be through trades.

Don't expect us to make any major free agent signings. Everyone else has a ton of cap space as well... most more than us.

There are very few high quality UFAs out there this summer and every team has enough space to add one.

You will see mediocre players like Callahan getting the $7 million he wants on a long term deal just because of supply and demand.

If we are going to get better it will have to be through trades.

That's a good point Provost. Unless someone wants to be here... it will likely be an overpayment market.

On the other hand, if there isn't anything that makes sense. they'll be able to sign the guys they do have, and retain some cap which is helpful if you want to be buyers at the deadline.

I'd still like to see them in the running for Stastny in case something reasonable is possible, particularly if they were to deal some cap in another deal - or a guy like Grabovski if the price for a mid range guy like that isn't too silly.

Torts reaction to MG interview + his own opinions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTa60JNF6B4

Very impressive how Torts manages to whip the media while staying calm and rather jovial. For a young team with less proven talent and just coming off the worst season of this generation, a guy like Torts will be invaluable in terms of nullifying media scrutiny and controversy.

That's a good point Provost. Unless someone wants to be here... it will likely be an overpayment market.

On the other hand, if there isn't anything that makes sense. they'll be able to sign the guys they do have, and retain some cap which is helpful if you want to be buyers at the deadline.

I'd still like to see them in the running for Stastny in case something reasonable is possible, particularly if they were to deal some cap in another deal - or a guy like Grabovski if the price for a mid range guy like that isn't too silly.

I think people give too much credit to Gillis for getting guys signed. It has been a pretty easy sell when you are the President's trophy winner and perennial Cup contender to entice guys to sign for under market value.

When you are on the downslope, it is a whole different matter. We would have to hope for someone wanting to return to Vancouver because of family or something.

THe Gillis fan club only needs one interview on Team 1040 where the GM throws his coach under the bus and it's "great job Gillis"

What a joke.

Henrik Sedin took responsibility ,

Tortorella took responsibility

what did Gillis do ?

Rafi Diaz for a 5th ?

Number #1 goalie and TOP tender in the NHL Schnieder for an unproven draft pick ?

Luongo for 3rd liner and an AHL goalie ?

Classy Gillis blames his first year coach for his lame roster of quitters.

Move Gillis to President

Hire Bob Nicholson as GM to transform this club from the Mike Gillis gong show laughingstock to a respectable team again.

Archived