The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Team 1040 Interview

Cold Hard Truth

gillis shouldn't make excuses, HE was the one that hired the coach for a different style of play...now its not working so he blames the style and want's to change back to the old style...hello? sweep by san jose last playoff with the av style...

this team is done mg get out

Wasn't it said that Aquilini wanted Torts?

Anyways, it also doesn't help when players don't perform....but obviously that's the GMs fault

Ummm we didn't win our division this year.

Most of the stuff you talk about is done by the assistant GM. What guys like Nicholson or Gretzky get you is someone who has lots of respect in the hockey world. That is in stark contrast with Gillis who started off as already having a bad relationship with most other GMs in the league as a holdover from his agent days.

Exactly. The only thing the GM really is responsible for that is almost never delegated is trades. Gillis has done an absolutely terrible job on this front.

gillis shouldn't make excuses, HE was the one that hired the coach for a different style of play...now its not working so he blames the style and want's to change back to the old style...hello? sweep by san jose last playoff with the av style...

this team is done mg get out

I don't think that we know ownership didn't "suggest" Torts be brought in to coach. Gillis may not have had a choice other than to resign over a choice of coach.

I don't think that we know ownership didn't "suggest" Torts be brought in to coach. Gillis may not have had a choice other than to resign over a choice of coach.

Which would have been the best possible outcome. We get rid of the worst GM in franchise history and the owners don't have to pay a dime.

You're saying Nonis > Gillis? lmfao

You're on fire lately, keep posting.

Nonis did get fired for refusing to make a bad trade for Brad Richards, and turned a Bertuzzi coming off a year where he was a shell of his former self into a pre-groin injury Luongo. His signings weren't the greatest, but he didn't cripple the team with particularly awful trades like Gillis has.

Nonis did get fired for refusing to make a bad trade for Brad Richards, and turned a Bertuzzi coming off a year where he was a shell of his former self into a pre-groin injury Luongo. His signings weren't the greatest, but he didn't cripple the team with particularly awful trades like Gillis has.

Nonis got fired because he refused to make trades. Now you want to fire a gillis who makes bold trades like everyone wants him to.

And yes nonis did cripple the team. Maybe no at the moment, but in terms of prospects. trading draft pics for veterans that were about to retire.

Nonis got fired because he refused to make trades. Now you want to fire a gillis who makes bold trades like everyone wants him to.

And yes nonis did cripple the team. Maybe no at the moment, but in terms of prospects. trading draft pics for veterans that were about to retire.

Refusing to make trades is better than making completely idiotic trades. I don't want Gillis to make bold trades. I don't want him to make any trades as I don't trust him to do so. As for dealing draft picks for vets that didn't help, refer to Pahlsson, Samuel, and Roy, Derek.

Aquilini rumored to be flying out to meet ...

You guessed it - Bob Nicholson.

Well hopefully this signals that Gillis won't be allowed to make any more trades, regardless of how that interview goes. Can't wait to see what a real GM can do for this team.

Nope. didn't guess it, you a long with other Nux fans I hope can stop talking out their asses. Ok... lets fire a GM that has won a division for every single season that he's been a GM on top of 2 Presidents trophies, a GM of the year award, for someone who has NO MANAGING EXPERIENCE NO NEGOTIATING EXPERIENCE NO CONTRACT OR TERM LIKE EXPERIENCE.

yes! hire someone someone with no experience! to replace Mike Gillis.

Gawd you guys are crazy.

Be careful Moneypuck, it's the dreaded Knob, Heffy, NIno line lol.

Luckily, Nino let this go, or youda ben in for a reeyul skoolin.

The problem is Gillis has a lot of experience making trades. Unfortunately, most of those trades are absolutely terrible. Dealing away Schneider for peanuts, coupled with retaining salary on the following Luongo trade is simply unacceptable.

Maggie the Monkey would be an improvement over the idiot the Canucks currently have for a GM.

You may be drunk so I'll let this go.

Ding ding ding ding! Gillis will be fired. Nicholson slides in;

Which would have been the best possible outcome. We get rid of the worst GM in franchise history and the owners don't have to pay a dime.

Nah, didn't you know that Demitra, Samuellson, Malhotra, Torres, Sundin, Tanev... Every one of those guys is a BC boy. No credit to Gillis whatsoever.

And even though all of those guys were signed before we had win a Presidents Trophy, they are also psychic, so they KNEW it was going to happen. That's why the signed... in SPITE of MG.

Those guys only signed here because Nonis used to be the GM, and they liked the work that Nonis had done and wanted to play with the players that Nonis had assembled. They would have gone to Toronto instead, but they didn't want to wait for the Nonis effect to take place in Toronto when it was already in Vancouver.

This new wave of guys are only here because they wanted to play for Tortorella - they knew AV's days were numbered, or they never would have signed here. AV hates young guys. If they fire Tortorella these guys won't want to come here anymore, because no one likes to talk to Gillis. Gillis isn't in the club. Everyone knows that Gillis isn't a real GM.

I think you're both hindsighting and selectively omitting important facts.

In 2010/11 Ballard suffered both a concussion early in the season, and then a sprained MCL down the stretch. He was ineffective but what you proposed to do with a player in that situation to recover the "misappropriated" funds would be some interesting input on your part.

Likewise where Booth is concerned. He scored 16 goals in 56 games before a serious knee injury. What were you proposing they did with a limping Booth prior to or during the 2012/13 season?

Questioning Schneider's salary/contract or the decision to sign it is silly. The rest of the context is also vital.

This is really just some pretty selective hindsighting with some convenient pretenses to know better. Calling it "misappropriation", to boot, is just over the top nonsense.

Facts are not facts in your argument.

The facts are how much we paid Ballard relative to performance. It took 3 seasons from signs pointing to us not getting what we needed from him before he was bought out. I supported his acquisition at the time. But only a week later a better option came up in Hamhuis. Maybe we should have moved on right away? I believe there would have been times to flush his contract in that 3 years which is too long. That part is speculation and my opinion. You don't have to share it, but I dont have to buy that there were zero opportunities to move him either.

Fact is we paid Schneider starters money when we had a $64 million contract with Lou in place. My opinion is one goalie should have been traded a year earlier. My opinion is a skater would have been a better addition than two goalies pulling in $11.2 mill in 2012/13. We did have holes to fill?

Fact is we paid Garrison when we had Ballard, Edler and Hamhuis. Then we re-signed Edler when we still had Hamhuis and Garrison. Again FTR I am not claiming Garrison is a bad player, nor Schneider or Lou. I just believe the money should have gone into a RHD or PMD. Perhaps a top line sniper.

Who knows what we could have done with Booth? MG was hung up on a PF to play with Kesler. Fact was, he traded a RW (and we had zero organizational depth at RW at that moment) for a guy who was not great unless he played LW. And we had Burrows, Raymond, Daniel Sedin and Higgins all as decent LW at that time. Guys argue here that playing wingers off wing is no big deal. To an extent they are right. But facts are it was a position of strength and we were playing well from that position. My observation is it interrupted the chemistry.

All of these situations differed from the summer of 2010, when every deal (save Ballard) paid dividends. My opinion is Gillis was successful then because deals filled exactly roles we needed. They did not spend millions logjamming positions we already had strength in whilst leaving significant holes in our lineups elsewhere.

And in spite of criticism across the board; I actually believe he did a good job last summer. Richardson was a targeted need well filled. We needed to accomplish cap relief and we salvaged a good top 10 pick from Schneider. We needed youth in our system. Stanton worked out as a depth defender, Weber was a budget RHD with a good shot. Not groundbreaking but good for the bucks, and it was all the $'s we had. Santorelli was a heist. Hey we needed more, but that would have been blood from a stone.

He also accomplished cap control after overspending, yes my opinion) in years previous. So we're positioned to get players this coming year...

Look, we went downhill after our run. Gillis was GM. He does deserve some critique?

Aquilini rumored to be flying out to meet ...

You guessed it - Bob Nicholson.

Then the Owner is as deluded as most of the 'pundits' on this site .. "Bob Knows Diddly" about running a hockey team .. maybe he will be President so Mike can really get down to dealing and trading and signing all those concussed players out there .. the hypocrisy around here is almost comical.

Look, we went downhill after our run. Gillis was GM. He does deserve some critique?

Every level of the organization must be held accountable .. just know that every 'mistake' Gillis has made has also made continuously by all the other GM's in the League .. taking chances on injured players is something every GM must do to try and maintain balance between on-ice product and the Cap .. a majority of trades leave neither side satisfied.

Gillis has made mistakes no doubt, as does anyone who actually tries to achieve a goal .. it is those who sit complacently and never attempt anything meaningful that never make a mistake. The folks on here who are so quick to hate and act 'holier than thou' should actually achieve something in their own lives before acting as experts on matters they can only guess at.

Fire Gillis.

Get a new GM that can make good hockey trades.

Trade The Sedins,Kesler (if he really wants out),Edler,Garrison,Schroeder etc...and load up on prospects and picks.

I watched Henrik Sedin giveaway the game winning first goal, directly his fault , then take the worst dive of the season which sets us right back to square one with the officials and our reputation.

His Twin brother Daniel completely invisible all night.

These 2 for 14 million a year x 4 years ?

If you're bringing back the Sedins next year at least take the letters off.

A diving soft euro captain is the last thing this fanbase wants.

Fire Gillis.

Get a new GM that can make good hockey trades.

Trade The Sedins,Kesler (if he really wants out),Edler,Garrison,Schroeder etc...and load up on prospects and picks.

I watched Henrik Sedin giveaway the game winning first goal, directly his fault , then take the worst dive of the season which sets us right back to square one with the officials and our reputation.

His Twin brother Daniel completely invisible all night.

These 2 for 14 million a year x 4 years ?

If you're bringing back the Sedins next year at least take the letters off.

A diving soft euro captain is the last thing this fanbase wants.

Henrik never should have been put in that position. You can blame the player that gave it to him in a bad position or blame the coaching staff for evidently having no idea how to coach their players to exit their zone on the PP. Hank was largely unfortunate there.

And I'd appreciate you not speaking for the entire fanbase. Hank can captain my team any day. He's a better player, leader and man than the whiny, shortsighted portion of this fan base could ever dream to be.

Archived