The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

James Shields is still freaking out there!? Wow. AA needs to sign this dude now!

Losing Melky is going to hurt a ton. He was our most consistent hitter.

Lester just signed with the Cubs, leaving Shields and Scherzer as the top 2 starters available.

Mariners are after Melky. M's have offered him 3 years, but he's asking for 4 years.

Melky signs 3 year deal with Chicago White Sox. Money terms haven't been told but it's a reported 3 year deal. Best of luck to Melky and seems he wanted money over winning. Sad but oh well, he has his reasons.

I've heard 45 million range. We're better off with Saunders in my opinion - I'd even argue this notwithstanding money.

3 years 15 mil per for Melky. Is this what the Blue Jays couldn't match? That's a scary thought if that's what's beyond the upper limits for a position player. Sounds weird to say, but I hope they weren't even truly interested in signing him, because that's a better sounding possibility.

I'm skeptical about Sanchez though, and how the Blue Jays will utilize him this year. Personally watching him last year, I was amazed with his stuff, he throws a 2-seam fastball at 98Mph, if he only he threw a 4-seam how much faster it would be. I also think he could have an amazing career as a closer if he really wants it, but it really sounds like he wants to be a starter, but I respect his decision. Although the Blue Jays in AA has basically said if they aqcuire another pitcher, Sanchez will be in the bullpen. The reason why I'm skeptical about it, is because Sanchez mindset is set on being a starter and he already did the bullpen, I don't think he'll be happy about being forced into a bullpen role. I understand he may have no say in it, but will he really bring his A stuff then if he's not happy with his role. There is a lot of talent in this kid.

question:How many of us have turned down an offer of more money to do the same thing somewhere else?

Honestly, if I'm in Melky's shoes I sign in Toronto.

They were the ones that gave him a chance when no one wanted anything to do with him after he was busted PEDing. He didn't just get a second chance but he went back to his previous form and resurrected his career and didn't drastically become a worse player.

If it's true Jays offered 3 years $39 mill & he signed with the WS for 3 years $45, I sign in TO. Better chance at winning, loyalty for giving a chance, and a $6 mill difference with that much money offered anyways, not enough for me to sign in Chicago.

There is the chance that Takashi Toritani is deciding between offers from the Padres and Blue Jays and will come to a decision this week. Of course, this is off a google translation off of one page on a Japanese website. Since Jed Lowrie just signed a 3 year deal with the Astros, I guess we should be hopeful that Toritani chooses the Jays.

There are questions as to whether Toritani would be any better than Munenori Kawasaki. Kawasaki hit .294/.345/.378 in 11 seasons in the NPPL, while Toritani hit .285/.372/.412 in 11 seasons. And Munenori was 31 when he came over, while Toritani with 33 now. The scouting reports I've seen suggest that Takashi is the better defensive player, but then, he'll be playing a new position here, learning second base after being a shortstop for the Hanshin Tigers. Not that it is hard for a shortstop to learn to play second.

It sounds like he will be willing to take a 1-year contract with an option for a second season.

http://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2014/12/15/7394347/monday-blue-jays-rumors-takashi-toritani

SD is talking trade with Phillies for Hammels. When the heck is AA and Jays. Hammels and Utley would upgrade the rotation and 2B, respectively.

AA says they weren't prepared to dish out the big money for free agent relievers who were available, and instead are hoping to address the bullpen via trade. Besides Navarro, they have very little in the way of trade assets. Alot of catchers have been on the move and traded, recently. Navarro might fetch a reliever making similar money on expiring contract.

SD is talking trade with Phillies for Hammels. When the heck is AA and Jays. Hammels and Utley would upgrade the rotation and 2B, respectively.

AA says they weren't prepared to dish out the big money for free agent relievers who were available, and instead are hoping to address the bullpen via trade. Besides Navarro, they have very little in the way of trade assets. Alot of catchers have been on the move and traded, recently. Navarro might fetch a reliever making similar money on expiring contract.

Looks like SD is trying to buy a Pennant...dont blame them..its been years.

They tried the past 2 years imo. Don't like the idea of trying to buy a championship and I have a feeling Padres will disappoint and and underperform.

2015 is Jays last chance at winning and making the playoffs. AA's job is on the line and what he's done so far this off-season isn't enough. He needs another top starter, needs 2B, and also needs to fix the bullpen. I don't understand why AA and Jays aren't going after Shields. If they don't make the playoffs again, there will be a house cleaning starting with AA, then a rebuilt starts in 2016 and will take 3-4 years.

• 4 weeks later...

@Sportsnet:

Nationals acquire infielder Yunel Escobar from the A's for All-Star reliever Tyler Clippard http://t.co/J8c1uxDjW2 http://t.co/DzTnwVvF7H

Funny ...considering Billy Beane said the other day he had been trying to get Escobar for ages,,even back when he was on TO...then to flip him so quick...Beane is back at playing Moneyball the way he is moving players in Oakland.