The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

2 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

We don't have a capable replacement for Edwin. Expecting that much out of the pickups combined is asking way too much. 

I guess you don't know who Kendrys Morales is then?

5 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

we still have Smoak as our token SO artist.

:sick:

13 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

Good player but doesn't produce nearly as much as Edwin has over the past five years. That being said if he can replicate last season he may be a semi-decent replacement. 

EE won't even produce EE's last season numbers. EE made his choice to leave so I'll take the man with the ring with open arms.

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, Xbox said:

EE won't even produce EE's last season numbers. EE made his choice to leave so I'll take the man with the ring with open arms.

As long as Smoak is out of the line-up I'm cool with whoever. Discount Morales will always bother me though as we could've realistically had both Morales and EE in the budget. 

Just now, TheHitman said:

As long as Smoak is out of the line-up I'm cool with whoever. Discount Morales will always bother me though as we could've realistically had both Morales and EE in the budget. 

They both could fit in the budget. The problem was they both are DH.

EE is not an everyday first baseman. Just look at his amount of games played at 1B and when he does play the field he's average at best and he is 1 bad defensive play from a season on the IR. I loved the guy but he's not irreplaceable. As for Smoak, I never want to see him play but whoever does play 1B will be better defensively than EE.

2 hours ago, Xbox said:

They both could fit in the budget. The problem was they both are DH.

EE is not an everyday first baseman. Just look at his amount of games played at 1B and when he does play the field he's average at best and he is 1 bad defensive play from a season on the IR. I loved the guy but he's not irreplaceable. As for Smoak, I never want to see him play but whoever does play 1B will be better defensively than EE.

I would like to see Pearce get the bulk of the games at 1st..as for Smoak...funny enough I have always liked the guy for some reason..if he could lift up his bat on those lowballs he might actually be good for 30 dingers and less SOs...EE was a pretty fair 1st base..he showed me later in the season that he could handle the load...but I agree..his season last year was a 1 off...Morales could cover quite nicely.

• Upvote 1

This is the guy I wanted...

The Cleveland Indians and left-handed relief pitcher

have agreed on a deal, according to Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal. 

The deal is pending a physical. 

Logan, 32, posted a 2-5 record with a 3.69 ERA over 46.1 innings pitched in 2016 with the Colorado Rockies, his third year with the club. Last season, left-handed batters hit only .142 over 106 at-bats against Logan. 

31 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Logan, 32, posted a 2-5 record with a 3.69 ERA over 46.1 innings pitched in 2016 with the Colorado Rockies, his third year with the club. Last season, left-handed batters hit only .142 over 106 at-bats against Logan. 

That's impressive given half his games are played in Denver.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ShakyWalton said:

damn.... 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

Boone woulda been a nice fit... wish we woulda got him and Howell to be our lefty 1-2 punch. Then traded Loup to a team that was either stupid and/or desperate for lefty relief.

2 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Boone woulda been a nice fit... wish we woulda got him and Howell to be our lefty 1-2 punch. Then traded Loup to a team that was either stupid and/or desperate for lefty relief.

Do you think Barnes or Loup makes the 25 man roster? If not then I can't complain.

14 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

#GMShapkinsoutGMedagain

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Xbox said:

Do you think Barnes or Loup makes the 25 man roster? If not then I can't complain.

I'm hoping that Girodo can come in and take Loup's spot. I like Barnes but I think there's too much competition with Grilli, Osuna, Biagini and Sparkman being locks... I think Tepera, Schultz and Floyd will be the front runners... maybe one of the dumpster deals makes it.

Then you have Loup, Girodo and Howell going for 2 lefty spots.

to look at the bp like that

biagini

grilli

sparkman

Howell

Floyd

schultz

Girodo

Osuna

it doesn't look too horrible all of a sudden.  I think if our starters can go 6 and we have 1 guy with a breakout season(hopefully Girodo or Sparkman) in the pen, we'll be in decent shape.

11 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I'm hoping that Girodo can come in and take Loup's spot. I like Barnes but I think there's too much competition with Grilli, Osuna, Biagini and Sparkman being locks... I think Tepera, Schultz and Floyd will be the front runners... maybe one of the dumpster deals makes it.

Then you have Loup, Girodo and Howell going for 2 lefty spots.

to look at the bp like that

biagini

grilli

sparkman

Howell

Floyd

schultz

Girodo

Osuna

it doesn't look too horrible all of a sudden.  I think if our starters can go 6 and we have 1 guy with a breakout season(hopefully Girodo or Sparkman) in the pen, we'll be in decent shape.

It's definitely serviceable. Hopefully they still add 1 more arm. IIRC they wanted 2 pen arms. I bet we get another righty though.

2 hours ago, Xbox said:

It's definitely serviceable. Hopefully they still add 1 more arm. IIRC they wanted 2 pen arms. I bet we get another righty though.

Have you seen Howell's numbers? Career wise he's consistent. I expect him to be like Cecil was without the extreme polar performances. I hope we add another lefty that throws abit harder. A 92-94mph fastball and average numbers would be a great pickup. Blevins perhaps as a good lefty.... hopefully we're the team with an offer in on him. 

although Sergio Romo would be a solid Righty to aquire.

48 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Have you seen Howell's numbers? Career wise he's consistent. I expect him to be like Cecil was without the extreme polar performances. I hope we add another lefty that throws abit harder. A 92-94mph fastball and average numbers would be a great pickup. Blevins perhaps as a good lefty.... hopefully we're the team with an offer in on him. 

although Sergio Romo would be a solid Righty to aquire.

Yeah he seems like a great pickup but i can't say I've ever seen him pitch. I really don't pay any attention to the NL. 

From what I've read the Jays will be going after 1 more pen arm. I think we can compete against Boston as they lost David Ortiz. All these outlets praising Boston must not realize how significant of a loss that is.

Edited by Xbox

On 2 February, 2017 at 0:30 PM, TheHitman said:

Good player but doesn't produce nearly as much as Edwin has over the past five years. That being said if he can replicate last season he may be a semi-decent replacement. 

Not quite as productive as EE but he is 9 million cheaper a year. Which is the difference of having Pearce in the lineup everyday over a guy like Carrera. Also you got to factor in that EE had a much friendlier home ball park. I think I saw a thing that Morales was top 5 in the league last year for hard contact. I'm really gonna miss Edwin but I'm also excited for Morales and I think people will be surprised how close statistically they'll be by the end of the 2017 season.