The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

19 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Not quite as productive as EE but he is 9 million cheaper a year. Which is the difference of having Pearce in the lineup everyday over a guy like Carrera. Also you got to factor in that EE had a much friendlier home ball park. I think I saw a thing that Morales was top 5 in the league last year for hard contact. I'm really gonna miss Edwin but I'm also excited for Morales and I think people will be surprised how close statistically they'll be by the end of the 2017 season.

Im excited for the coming season and Morales as well. 

Progressive Field is even more hitter friendly than Rogers Centre. Edwin is going from Top 5 to Top 3.

14 hours ago, Xbox said:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/report-blue-jays-agree-one-year-deal-relief-pitcher-joe-smith/

So theres our bullpen arm - right hander Joe Smith

That's a really solid pickup. 40 strikeouts with 53 IP.

If someone doesn't like this signing it's clear that they don't know much about baseball. 

Feeling a lil more confident about the bullpen having 

Biagini

Grilli

Howell

Smith

Osuna

as arms that you can trust. 

If we could get one one more decent lefty, things are looking really good.

2 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

If someone doesn't like this signing it's clear that they don't know much about baseball. 

Biagini

Grilli

Howell

Smith

Osuna

Im hoping that Lefty is Girodo and not Loup...I have had enough of him.....I think if Floyd stays healthy he will be a bonus...feeling pretty good about the pen.

Smith brings something we havent had in a long time..he is almost a submariner which will give us a different look.

Edited by ShakyWalton

9 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Biagini

Grilli

Howell

Smith

Osuna

Agree 100%. Right now that's 23/25 mlb slots full. I'm assuming Gavin Floyd would be the 6th starter so that leaves one spot. If no other arm is signed Loup/Goins/Pompey could potentially get it. I'm not sure how the Rule 5 picks work either so Glenn Sparkman may have to be on the roster.

9 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I believe he does. If not he's sent back to his old team's minor league system. 

I could be wrong on this though.

If that's true then the Jays offseason is finished. However if they make him the #6 starter then there's still 1 spot for an arm or Dalton Pompey.

3 minutes ago, Xbox said:

If that's true then the Jays offseason is finished. However if they make him the #6 starter then there's still 1 spot for an arm or Dalton Pompey.

What happens when a player is selected in the Rule 5 Draft?

A team that selects a player in the Rule 5 Draft pays $50,000 to the team from which he was selected. The receiving team must then keep the player on the Major League 25-man roster for the entirety of the next season, and the selected player must remain active (not on the disabled list) for a minimum of 90 days. If the player does not remain on the Major League roster, he is offered back to the team from which he was selected for $25,000. If his original team declines, the receiving team may waive the player.

Once a player is selected, he is automatically assigned to his new organization's 40-man roster.

16 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

What happens when a player is selected in the Rule 5 Draft?

A team that selects a player in the Rule 5 Draft pays $50,000 to the team from which he was selected. The receiving team must then keep the player on the Major League 25-man roster for the entirety of the next season, and the selected player must remain active (not on the disabled list) for a minimum of 90 days. If the player does not remain on the Major League roster, he is offered back to the team from which he was selected for $25,000. If his original team declines, the receiving team may waive the player.

Once a player is selected, he is automatically assigned to his new organization's 40-man roster.

Thanks for the post. That's good news it's only the 40 man roster. There's still hope they'll get one more major league arm.

11 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

He has to remain on the 25 man roster. He can only be sent down if his old team decides they don't want him back.

Oh well in that case there's really no chance for any player to get a 25 man roster spot. It's basically set in stone. Honestly I think we have a really competitive roster!

1) Aaron Sanchez
2) JA Happ
3) Marco Estrada
4) Marcus Stroman
5) Francisco Liriano
6) Gavin Floyd

7) Kendrys Morales
8) Russel Martin
9) Steve Pearce
10) Devon Travis
11) Troy Tulowitzki
12) Josh Donaldson
13) Jose Bautista
14) Kevin Pillar
15) Melvin Upton Jr

16) Ezequiel Carrera
17) Justin Smoak
18) Darwin Barney
19) Jarrod Saltalamacchia

20) Glenn Sparkman
21) Joe Biagini
22) Jason Grilli
23) Joe Smith
24) JP Howell
25) Roberto Osuna

Edited by Xbox
  • Upvote 1

On 4 February, 2017 at 11:48 AM, Xbox said:

Im excited for the coming season and Morales as well. 

Progressive Field is even more hitter friendly than Rogers Centre. Edwin is going from Top 5 to Top 3.

Dang I didn't know Cleveland was an even more hitter friendly park! Well I stand by Morales numbers being better.

4 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Dang I didn't know Cleveland was an even more hitter friendly park! Well I stand by Morales numbers being better.

For sure he will do well here. Kansas City is one of the harder parks and he got 30HR there.