The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] President Trevor Linden

Strombone1

Yes. Perhaps there will be a time when I manage to do that after you finish your bucket of chicken, or come up with something meaningful to post other than unwitty retorts from the sidelines.

Erm...who quoted who first and then called it a shot from the sidelines?

Just stop TML. You're not as good at this as you think you are. Last words all yours. Make sure to comment about how you're ignoring me again.

I know some people will complain about Trevor Linden deflecting questions to the "Global" reporters with an outright denial that he had been contacted. You know what, the hiring process is a confidential process and you break that and blab, you've just committed a firing offense. Plus on top of that if you haven't been hired yet, it's a black-mark against you.

I don't hold anything against Trev for telling the Global people that he hadn't heard anything. I just hope that he's up to the task of managing the team. As far as I can tell from his being named as President of Hockey Operations, that he hasn't been hired as GM and the team is looking for a manager still. Bringing in Trevor was a strong move in that it gives the team some time to find an experienced GM to hold up Trevor and solidify this team.

Lying to the media just makes me like him more and think he's the right man for the job.

The media seem to think that they are like the supreme court or something and are notorious for getting things wrong or spinning them in a totally deceitful way so I would fully endorse of treating the media like the dirt peddlers they are.

Lying to the media just makes me like him more and think he's the right man for the job.

The media seem to think that they are like the supreme court or something and are notorious for getting things wrong or spinning them in a totally deceitful way so I would fully endorse of treating the media like the dirt peddlers they are.

I've always wondered if the team has the ability to ban certain members of the media from being close to the team in any way.

Erm...who quoted who first and then called it a shot from the sidelines?

Just stop TML. You're not as good at this as you think you are. Last words all yours. Make sure to comment about how you're ignoring me again.

I took at shot at you in this thread in order to comment on your posting style as a whole, really. Nothing but shots from the sidelines with very little to actually add to the thread. I've seen it in many, many threads. But if that's what you're striving for, what you're trying to be good at, hey, good for you.

If you want to take a high road in your posting style from now on, then please do. It would be a welcome change.

Think about that comment, do you really think a player would say were close to making playoffs next season or means winning the cup after making the playoffs for many seasons?

That is why I assuming people like you would understand I just said he thinks "there close" in short, plus in numerous previous interviews before he also said he believes this group has it to win the cup

obviously people like you need to be given the entire phrase to know

Did anyone even listen to Aquilini speak at the presser. "Theres the right way to play, theres the wrong way to play...theres a bunch of different ways to play..."

He's a moron.

How is he qualified to hand pick a great president. Linden should have paid his dues in a complimentry role like every other former player whose gone on to do great things. This is a rash decision. I was also discouraged by their mid-June time frame. NHL drafts are an exausting process that takes months and months of preperation. Read a book on it. Hiring a GM a week or two before the draft is about a boneheaded decision as you can make.

Linden has lead the NHL PA for years and then went on to be a successful businessman. He didn't stagger in off the street.

They didn't fire all the scouts. Let's look at this rationally.......

As long as he hires a decent GM and runs the business well then the choice could very well be very good.

After re-listening to the press conference I came to one conclusion….

Linden will help repair the relationship with the media both in the city and nationwide.

He took the opportunity to allow the media their props, they need that for their ego, and he will be a hard target for them to get personal with. His likability and mutual respect will go along way to allowing his individual message to be taken at face value. Hopefully he can hire a GM with those similar qualities to help augment the franchise facelift.

With any luck, the running of the team can get back to talking about hockey rather than off-ice drama.

Oh great everyone wants to bring the entire alumni back to canucks Mitchell? Were becoming the oilers

I think having Linden is the good choice but that's enough

Mitchell is still a fairly useful player, but injured often now. He may be expired.

We need to get younger and our prospects are aways away. But then Henrik thinks we're close. Therein lies the fundamental problem going forward.

Think about that comment, do you really think a player would say were close to making playoffs next season or means winning the cup after making the playoffs for many seasons?

That is why I assuming people like you would understand I just said he thinks "there close" in short, plus in numerous previous interviews before he also said he believes this group has it to win the cup

obviously people like you need to be given the entire phrase to know

Apparently it just means more to you than it does to everyone else.

I think the rest of us see a context from him and a current environment around the team that makes his statement negligible. He's the Captain that needs to back his teammates. He's not the man in charge.

If you hadn't noticed, big changes are coming from the top down. Most of us are prepared to watch the next few months without getting our panties in a bunch.

The media doesn't really care if that person was a great player or person, all they care about is make something to read about and exaggerating . I don't think anyone is immune to that even if it will be Linden. Don't get too naive, you might get disappointed .

laughable, henrik was just on 1040 and said we don't need a retool/rebuild , were close, we will be fighting for playoffs next season

LOL

Yeah right Henrik. LOL

Stupid. that's why letting these players call the shots has been a huge mistake by MG all along. If Henrik thinks that he's absolutely fraacking crazy.

The media doesn't really care if that person was a great player or person, all they care about is make something to read about and exaggerating . I don't think anyone is immune to that even if it will be Linden. Don't get too naive, you might get disappointed .

While this is fundamentally true it's also about the ammunition they give the media to work with. Obviously not much will change in terms of their style (the medias that is) but I think Gillis gave them a lot to work with. Granted it's only one press conference but it seems to me that the objective is to start steering in the other direction. Going with the grain rather than against it all the time.

You have to be able to see the forest for the trees here.

To suggest that the media treats different individuals differently is naive? You might want to rethink that suggestion.

Linden has cultivated longstanding relationships with the media in this city, and across the country, without animosity. That's a big reason he was hired today along with his background.

There was never any suggestion he is immune to criticism. The suggestion is that he will handle it in a more balanced way and will not exacerbate any dispute. He'll put out fires not create them. Certainly better than the last 15 years of GMs in this town have done.

Archived