The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Torts has buyout clause and Gillis may also - Total Payout isn't what has been speculated

J529

Torts took over for Tampa in 2000-01 and they only won 12 of the 43 games he coached, they finished 14th in the east

3 years later they won the cup with him.

He definitely deserves at least one more year here, he didn't create this mess he inherited it.

he doesn't deserve anything he hasn't done anything with this team to prove that he deserve another year, the GM said it himself that he's not the coach of this team, the players have shown on the ice they don't want him back, he got Luongo traded outta of here after starting Lack at the hertiage classic which was the start of the downfall of our season, he's showed that he won't be offensive mind of coach, also Kesler wants to be traded because of torts

he doesn't deserve anything he hasn't done anything with this team to prove that he deserve another year, the GM said it himself that he's not the coach of this team, the players have shown on the ice they don't want him back, he got Luongo traded outta of here after starting Lack at the hertiage classic which was the start of the downfall of our season, he's showed that he won't be offensive mind of coach, also Kesler wants to be traded because of torts

no he doesn't, the canucks approached him about a trade he didn't ask for one.

and the GM got fired so what he said about Torts is irrelevant

no he doesn't, the canucks approached him about a trade he didn't ask for one.

and the GM got fired so what he said about Torts is irrelevant

there were multiply reports out there that kesler wants a trade and ownership didn't want to trade him... also and yeah torts is gonna be next to be fired, why is it our top 6 all had bad years except burrows he was out majority of the year why haven't the sedins played the way they have same goes for kesler? obviously someone should ask the owner during the press conference tomorrow

So now Torts is to blame about the Luongo situation? Did you forget AV picking Schneider over Luongo? Maybe you should quit treating rumours as facts.

So now Torts is to blame about the Luongo situation? Did you forget AV picking Schneider over Luongo? Maybe you should quit treating rumours as facts.

It's pretty simple after everything Luongo came back regardless of his reasons he still came back and torts himself said he was the guy in vancouver his number one goalie and then he ends up benching him during the most important game of the season obviously the situation with the canucks weren't on the best of term but he pretty much caused Luongo to depart and those aren't rumours those are facts as Luongo agent himself said the tipping point was torts starting lack over Luongo at the hertiage classic game

It's pretty simple after everything Luongo came back regardless of his reasons he still came back and torts himself said he was the guy in vancouver his number one goalie and then he ends up benching him during the most important game of the season obviously the situation with the canucks weren't on the best of term but he pretty much caused Luongo to depart and those aren't rumours those are facts as Luongo agent himself said the tipping point was torts starting lack over Luongo at the hertiage classic game

So, you ARE blaming Torts, just like the rest of the delusional losers on CDC. Did you blame AV for starting Schneider over Luongo, too? I mean, that's what started this whole Luongo situation in the first place. Or did you conveniently forget that just so you can lump all your irrational hatred on the current flavour of the season?

So, you ARE blaming Torts, just like the rest of the delusional losers on CDC. Did you blame AV for starting Schneider over Luongo, too? I mean, that's what started this whole Luongo situation in the first place. Or did you conveniently forget that just so you can lump all your irrational hatred on the current flavour of the season?

I guess you can say all the reporters and analyst like John Shannon, Ray Ferrao, Garry Valk etc.. are all losers and have no idea what they're talking about when they all agree torts is the problem yeah go figure.. also I'm talking about this year if you didn't notice not about a choice another coach made in the past... I guess all of us losers see torts as the opposite of what you see a guy who can lead us to the cup ( also he was brought he for one more final push with this core)

I guess you can say all the reporters and analyst like John Shannon, Ray Ferrao, Garry Valk etc.. are all losers and have no idea what they're talking about when they all agree torts is the problem yeah go figure.. also I'm talking about this year if you didn't notice not about a choice another coach made in the past... I guess all of us losers see torts as the opposite of what you see a guy who can lead us to the cup ( also he was brought he for one more final push with this core)

Torts didn't create this problem genius. Maybe use your head and think about it. Two embarrassing first round exits weren't a problem? Not being able to score since the finals isn't a problem? He is suffering from the same problem AV suffered from: a stale core. If you bothered watching the games, you'd realize this team as it is not up to snuff. But, apparently you think this team can compete. So, buddy, which coach can make this stale core not so stale anymore?

Torts didn't create this problem genius. Maybe use your head and think about it. Two embarrassing first round exits weren't a problem? Not being able to score since the finals isn't a problem? He is suffering from the same problem AV suffered from: a stale core. If you bothered watching the games, you'd realize this team as it is not up to snuff. But, apparently you think this team can compete. So, buddy, which coach can make this stale core not so stale anymore?

What's your problem, can you not have a discussion without resorting to insults? People are going to have different opinions about what the problems with the team are. Show a little respect, friend.

Would be great news. I'm not sure what's out there for coaching options, we had 3 head coaches behind the bench this season and the syle of play we saw was horrifying. I'm not sure the coach is the problem, but I wouldn't mind seeing a more offensive coach in charge. The only thing is Torts' style wins in the playoffs, if he could only learn to coach offensively.

The players are the problem. The nucleus has gone stale. Not even Scootty Bowman in his heyday could coach up this same group and turn them into cup contenders again.

The window is almost totally closed. In 2 years time if new significant pieces are not added the whole thing will have to be blown up and start from scratch like the flames.

There are all kinds of ins and outs with contracts.

For instance with Torts. 4 years left at what $2 million?

Give Torts 2 options.

Option 1. He is demoted to assistant travel consultant. He will continue to receive his salary for the next 4 years. After 4 years he will not be given an extension. He is free to sign with another team, which will be hard considering he will have been away from coaching for 4 years.

Option 2. Canucks pay him $2 million severance and he is allowed to start talking to other teams as soon as he wants.

Sort of like Toronto with Burke.

You can't demote someone, it's considered "constructive dismissal". It's no different than firing him.

Edit: I see someone beat me too it.

yeah but his coaching style isn't suited for our team also if you missed it Ray Ferrao said working with torts on TV was hard it was black and white for him in other words he's always right and imagine how he is with the players he's not gonna change his ways of coaching which is gonna result in the same thing next year, even with injuries Sedin's haven't looked this bad in a long time, it makes more sense firing him then have the same train wreck next year

"yeah but his coaching style isn't suited for our team"?

Our team isn't suited for the Pacific Division.

Wake up.

I want Kevin Dineen, with Laviolette as assistant coach.

Also did anyone else notice that the article or whatever suggested that Brendan Shanahan is a candidate to be the new GM of the Canucks?

Yeah I did...

Now... what the hell does Shanahan do here?

How the...

I can see the media's first question: how do you feel being the GM of the Vancouver Canucks when you're the guy who suspended Rome, Edler and Kassian for such long periods?

Then again, Linden as President and Shanahan as GM would pretty much secure league-wide respect.

If you think Luongo was benched, you're blind.

The Canucks didn't want to risk injuring Luongo as the trade was being worked out. You don't move a multi million dollar asset in two days.

Torts didn't create this problem genius. Maybe use your head and think about it. Two embarrassing first round exits weren't a problem? Not being able to score since the finals isn't a problem? He is suffering from the same problem AV suffered from: a stale core. If you bothered watching the games, you'd realize this team as it is not up to snuff.

Why is it so hard for you to grasp the concept that neither coaches are/were working for this team? AV got stale, and Torts is mismanaging the boys with his uncreative, boring to watch, shot block, dump in coaching style which has seemingly made everyone, especially our D, even worse. Fact is no fan wants to go to see low scoring games. It IS possible with a new coach that things can start working out better, which were likely to find out with a new GM coming.

Btw, regardless of what bad calls AV made, it was Tort's decision to sit Luongo, our best goalie in franchise history, during a very prestigious game he should have been in. The fans were right to call BS on that. .

Why is it so hard for you to grasp the concept that neither coaches are/were working for this team? AV got stale, and Torts is mismanaging the boys with his old boring coaching style, which is important because nobody wants to go to see low scoring games. It IS possible with a new coach that things can start working out better, which were likely to find out with a new GM coming.

Perhaps you might want to re-read the poster you responded to.

I want Kevin Dineen, with Laviolette as assistant coach.

Also did anyone else notice that the article or whatever suggested that Brendan Shanahan is a candidate to be the new GM of the Canucks?

This is what caught my attention as well, I had mentioned quite some time ago that I could envision Shanny as our GM. Well I guess we will see if this comes to fruition. Regardless of who it is, I will approach the hiring with an open mind.

Archived