The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The "I would like to see Torts stay for at least one more year" thread.

SuperReverb2

No Torts unless he is willing to roll 4 lines.

By my projection, our 4 line next year, when everyone is healthy, should be Mattias, Jensen and Hansen, Or Booth instead of Jensen, depends on who is scoring less goals. Regardless that's a 14 minute / game line.

And Yes Trotz would be great.

I feel like Torts will say he is going to run 4 lines, then he won't and he will blame depth or youth or something.

Torts needs to go very badly. Worst coach experiment canucks have ever had.

Tortz would be ok. Stevens? Or Laviolette or..... Honestly a bit of a crapshoot on who will work out best,

I like Trotz alot - he's a rock. He made the most out of outstanding bluelines and forward groups where Legwand and Erat were his big offensive guns. Would welcome him anyday - and if a guy like Johnston was willing to leave the Winterhawks, all the better. Those two would be a great fit imo.

he's like vigneault, he coaches what he has. when he had forwards that could score, the predators finished as high as 4th overall in goals for, plus a couple other times in the top 10 since 05-06.

I don't think you're wrong I'm just not sure they buy him out with only a year on his contract. They'd be better off to play him on the farm team if he can't play here and get the cap relief.

I also don't think Horvat will be on the roster next year. He may get a few games at the start of the season but my money would be on him being in the AHL and making the jump to the Canucks the season after.

You only get ~$900k cap relief in the new CBA by burying someone in the minors. $That would leave a ~$3.35m cap hit for a guy playing in Utica. Not going to happen.

Traded or bought out.

he's like vigneault, he coaches what he has. when he had forwards that could score, the predators finished as high as 4th overall in goals for, plus a couple other times in the top 10 since 05-06.

More I look at it. Trotz might be best choice. I think the assistant coaches are almost as important. Who is in charge of : Forwards,Defenceman,PK,PP ?

You only get ~$900k cap relief in the new CBA by burying someone in the minors. $That would leave a ~$3.35m cap hit for a guy playing in Utica. Not going to happen.

Traded or bought out.

Forgot about that.

I still could see a scenario where they don't buy him out with only a year left on his contract. If you'd have asked me last year before he was hurt I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

Forgot about that.

I still could see a scenario where they don't buy him out with only a year left on his contract. If you'd have asked me last year before he was hurt I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

If he was even closer to $3m I might consider it but he's just too expensive for a guy that's likely to be on our 3rd/4th line.

On a good note, with his play in the latter portion of the season, we might actually be able to trade him.

I like the fact that he's relatively 'chill', but he commands respect - seems to have a real calm, confident and intense presence. I really wanted Tippett last summer when he was unsigned, but I see Trotz as having some similar qualities, and as you mention, guys who are adaptable and known to make the most of their lineup. If the Canucks could land Trotz, imo it could really right the ship. Linden, Benning, Gilman, Trotz (and Johnston) could make a hell of a group.

Was there any decision announced about Tort's future with the Canucks? I recall they wanted to make this decision fairly quickly.

The only thing I can think of is that either we are keeping Torts or the guys Linden has in mind are assistant coaches with teams still in the playoffs so they want to see if they would be interested before making a decision.

I

I don't think you're wrong I'm just not sure they buy him out with only a year on his contract. They'd be better off to play him on the farm team if he can't play here and get the cap relief.

I also don't think Horvat will be on the roster next year. He may get a few games at the start of the season but my money would be on him being in the AHL and making the jump to the Canucks the season after.

I do not believe Horvat is eligible to play AHL .. so Canucks, Junior or Europe?

If he was even closer to $3m I might consider it but he's just too expensive for a guy that's likely to be on our 3rd/4th line.

On a good note, with his play in the latter portion of the season, we might actually be able to trade him.

That would be sweet.

not to disparage the guy but any return for him would be a win.

I do not believe Horvat is eligible to play AHL .. so Canucks, Junior or Europe?

Yeah, he won't be 20 by the 31st of December (just turned 19) and he hasn't played four years in the CHL, so he won't be eligible to play in the AHL...

Most likely will be on the Canucks roster imo.

(Guys who aren't drafted out of the CHL can play in the A if they're 18 as of Sept 15 - a bit of an odd an arbitrary deal with the NHL, but that's where it stands).

Let him play the nine games in the big league but keep the young man in junior.

At his age and with the center position chock a block full on the Canucks there is no point in rushing the kid.

I would rather see Gaunce play or Schroeder be given a chance to be played and then traded.

Archived