The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ADSF: (1) Boston Bruins vs (4) Detroit Red Wings ‎

Who will win the series?  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If this series actually goes Detroits way, Linden may just have made his big first public mistake. Why go out on a limb and proclaim that the Canucks are now looking at using "the Boston model" before these playoffs are even over. What if it ends up a Detroit or Pittsburgh against Chicago in the final and Boston, Philly, and LA are out in the first round? I think its rather silly anyways to name another team as your "model". The only exception may be Detroit, everybody loves them some Wings. But after 2011, and the kind of cheap shot scum on the Bruins like Lucic and Marchand, "Boston model" just doesn't sound right to Canuck fans . Each team is different, you look at what other successful teams are doing for sure, but then you always have to develop your own model based on the players and coach you have.

If Quennville got fined $25K for just grabbing his own, Lucic should at least be fined $250K for using his stick against an opponent's.

That's a really good point.

www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2014/04/in_defense_of_lucics_cheap_shot_-_welcome_to_playoff_hockey.html

Wow...

Though many will bemoan Milan Lucic's grape-busting stick work on Detroit's Danny DeKeyser in the second period of Game 1, the simple fact is that in the Stanley Cup Playoffs the ends do justify the means.

Of course, most incidents like this aren't caught on camera, and most aren't perpetrated by someone as widely disliked as Milan Lucic, but anyone who has ever laced a pair knows how much cheap stuff behind the play can take an opponent off their game.

Granted, it wasn't fair for Looch to mortgage DeKeyser's future kids to gain the mental edge but, especially when you're playing a team as composed and systemic as Detroit, getting in the other team's head is a game-changing intangible.

Goading. Antagonization. Retaliation. These are all aspects of the game that get amplified when you're playing the same guys night in and night out. Call it cheap. Call it troglodyte gutter politics, but the fact is that, when you're in the hunt, tempers run hot, and there's no such thing as a short memory.

Detroit, which finished dead last in the league with only nine major penalties in 2013-14, is one of the most disciplined teams in the NHL. Their success hinges on it. When they lose their composure, they fall apart - which was something that the Chicago Blackhawks discovered and exploited in the Western Conference Quarterfinals last year. They flipped the turtle on its back, and it put their series in their hands.

And that's what it'll take for the Bruins to get past the Red Wings in this series.

Lucic doesn't exactly have a Lady Byng reputation, but giving someone the business when the ref is up ice is all in the game. One thing is for sure - DeKeyser will be playing with his head on a swivel when No. 17 is on the ice, and that's an important advantage when your team is struggling to find the score sheet.

Any other team I wouldn't give them a chance against the Bruins but I think there's something special about the Red Wings about the Vets they have and the skill and I think will give the Bruins a run for their money, I think it'll be a toss up, but I'm hoping at the end the Red Wings will make it out with the series. Red Wings in 7.

If I was Babcock, I'd say: "OK boys, if Lucic wants to play that way, next time you feel someone try to can open your nuts, as you're falling down, I want you to swing your stick as hard as you can to the right of you, head level because chances are, the dyck is going to probably going to pass you on the right hand side trying to look innocent and all."

46705b33-a835-4b55-98c8-0169e06f2328_500

No to copying Boston's model if it means having trash like this on the team. Is it too late to go back to Detroit model of youth, over cooking them in the AHL, and producing players like Tatar, Nyquist ?

Archived