The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft Virtanen!

1SportsLover1

Canucks need scoring and that's exactly what Virtanen brings. If Fox pans out that makes two young scorers to go along with Horvat, Shinkaruk, Kassian, etc. But who knows who they will take or who is available at #6. Either way I'd love to see Virtanen in a Canucks uniform.

Jake Virtanen 71 45 26 71 100 23 Playoffs 6 1 3 4 4 -2

Nikolaj Ehlers 63 49 55 104 51 65 Playoffs 16 11 17 28 18 3

If you want scoring, why would you pick Virtanen over Ehlers then? That makes no sense. Not to mention Jake got worse in the playoffs while Ehlers got even better. Then there's the difference in +/- which is staggering and the fact that Ehlers played 8 fewer games.

Virtanen has way better hands than Booth. And Booth looks barely in control of the puck when he has it whereas Virtanen has good control of the puck. His toe drag is better than Kesler's

This comparing Virtanen to Booth is ridiculous. Virtanen is twice the player that Booth is.

If you want scoring, why would you pick Virtanen over Ehlers then? That makes no sense. Not to mention Jake got worse in the playoffs while Ehlers got even better. Then there's the difference in +/- which is staggering and the fact that Ehlers played 8 fewer games.

But then there is still the size difference...I would take Virtanen. However, hopefulle we can get Drasaitl or Dal Colle, then maybe trade a vet and grab either Virtanen or Ritchie.

Virtanen's the type of player that has kicked our asses over these past few years. If he's not scoring, he's at least in your face about everything or running guys over. He's big enough, fast enough and mean enough to be an effective 2-way threat, even when he's not scoring.

With Horvat, man that line would be a real pain in the ass to play against. The two-way play and the tenacity is there. All we would need is a flashy guy to finish off plays and maybe Shinkaruk can do that. Remember him? He's the small skilled left winger that makes drafting another one a silly idea.

You forgot Richie in the equation

Richie is currently 6'3 235

Virtannen is currently 6'1 210

Ehlers is 5'11 162

Advantage Richie on size.

physical player,

Advantage to Richie again, who plays a HARD hitting game, and loves to fight

Play making wise,

I will give this one to Richie, sees the ice well and a great passer

Defensive play

both are sound defensive players. Richie gets the edge due to his hard back checking abilities and ability to read the play

Richie has speed, size advantage, physical dominance, and the best defensive and offensive game

Richie is also an offensive player, who can play a very offensive game, better known for scoring goals, and has the best shot out of these three

But Leon Draisatl is our man, he is the most likely to drop from the top 5, although some scouts would still take Richie.

Cheers :)

Well of course Ritchie is on top of my list, however that was just a comparison between Ehlers vs Virtannen.

we can't take a 1 playoff run too seriously. Ehlers is playing on one of the strongest junior hockey teams on the planet. They are QMJHL's version of the London Knights. not even Close. If Ehlers was on the Calgary HItmen he suffer the same fate. The HItman lost to Sam Reinharts KOotney ice who he single handidly dismanted the Calgary HItmen.

just to summarize, Ehlers season is too some extent, he's riding on the Mooseheads. In other words, he is damn lucky to be on that team.

Virtanen has way better hands than Booth. And Booth looks barely in control of the puck when he has it whereas Virtanen has good control of the puck. His toe drag is better than Kesler's

Can you put up Keslers toe drag against OHL competition. Good ol Virt hasnt tried his zesty moves against Chara and Weber yet.

What? You brought objective stats into the conversation?

Speed is a wash, so i'm not going to compare, it's like telling me Scott Neidermayer is a faster skater then Pavel Bure.

Shot is a wash too, both are deadly goal scorers, however Ehlers is more inflated playing in the QMJHL with Drouin, meanwhile Virtannen had average agers helping him, one heck of wrist shot. Kinda of a wash.

Virtannen is currently 6'1 210

Ehlers is 5'11 162

Advantage Virtannan on size.

physical player,

Advantage to Virtannen again, who plays a hitting game,

Play making wise,

I will give this one to Ehlers

Defensive play

both are sound defensive players. Virtannan gets the edge due to his hard back checking abilities.

I pretty much summed up why Virtannen should be drafted ahead of Ehlers,

He has size advantage, physical dominance, and a better defensive game mean while Ehlers is more offensivley oriented. He is a fast play making winger who can score goals, but is vastly under sized,

Virtannen is also an offensive player, who can play an offensive game, more known for scoring goals, (scoring goals is the most important form of offence) and he probably does that better then Ehlers, factor in better physical play, strong defensive back checking game, and an additional point goes to Virtannen for having great skating, and big body.

Jake Virtannen is our man

6'0 175+ is vastly undersized?

With Burrows career as a Canuck perhaps coming to an end, we cold use another player like him more than another player like Shinkaruk or Jensen.

I would say the better comparison for Burrows is Ehlers, with his speed, offensive ability, grittyness/chippyness, hockey sense, penalty killing ability.

It's only stupid because it goes against Ehlers, truth hurts, love stinks.

No, It stupid to assume that 17 & 18 year old kids won't grow & become stronger no matter who it is.

Give Virtanen Drouin for a linemate, then we'll have a better idea about playoff prowess.

Virtanen led Team Canada in the U18. Not like Mackinnon of course, but still good.

45 goals folks. That's not something to diss.

I'm sure Ehlers would like Drouin as a linemate aswell, or heck, even Brady Brassardt & Greg Chase would be better than what he had. (Virtanen's linemates)

Burrows is Ehlers? Perhaps... If your eyes are glued shut. Open eyes reveal Ehlers being like Anton Rodin, in terms of style and size. How small was Rodin when he was drafted? How big is he today? Case closed.

Down the stretch Virtanen was starting to develop his two-way game and was even used as a checking center. He is far, far more versatile than Ehlers and much, much faster and than Ritchie, without the injury-riddled past. Ding Ding! There is an obvious choice here our of the three.

Burrows is Ehlers? Perhaps... If your eyes are glued shut. Open eyes reveal Ehlers being like Anton Rodin, in terms of style and size. How small was Rodin when he was drafted? How big is he today? Case closed.

Down the stretch Virtanen was starting to develop his two-way game and was even used as a checking center. He is far, far more versatile than Ehlers and much, much faster and than Ritchie, without the injury-riddled past. Ding Ding! There is an obvious choice here our of the three.

Burrows isn't a very good comparable for any of the players, but if you had to take one of them I would say Ehlers is the closest with some things.

In what way specifically is Ehlers similar to Burrows?

Maybe 'hockey IQ?' Which could mean anything.

I see more bite, pardon the use, in Virtanen's game that makes him a better comparable, if that matters. Which it doesn't, since Burrows isn't a comparable worth mentioning about any of these guys.

He is going to be walking up to the podium with his arm in a sling.....

The Calgary Hitmen announced on Thursday that forward Jake Virtanen underwent successful shoulder surgery and is expected to be out of action for four to six months.

Virtanen, who is projected to go in the first round of next month's NHL draft, will be at the league's scouting combine next week in Toronto, but will not participate in the fitness portion.

The 17-year-old had 45 goals and 71 points in 71 games last season.

J Virtanen all the way!

Get a fin if you want to win. Get a Canadian if you want to win in the playoffs. He fills both those needs all at once.

Seriously though, something tells me he has his eyes set on becoming a star in the nhl and he's shown he's doing everything he can to get there. Starting off by getting drafted 1st overall in the whl. Beefing up his body to 200 plus lbs at 18yrs old. Being the youngest leading goal scorer in the whl this year. And playing that 200 ft game the nhl loves.

He plays a mature game, canucks brand of hockey which is hard hitting fast and skilled.

But if dal colle is there. Definitely take him. Lol.

In the ideal scenario. Benning trades kesler edler and Gaunce to Ny islanders for the 5th overall and we take dal colle and Virtanen. What a coup that would be.

Sedin Virtanen

Dal colle horvat Jensen

Higgins santirelli Hansen

As our top 9 gives me a hard on.

Archived