The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft Virtanen!

1SportsLover1

He is going to be walking up to the podium with his arm in a sling.....

The Calgary Hitmen announced on Thursday that forward Jake Virtanen underwent successful shoulder surgery and is expected to be out of action for four to six months.

Virtanen, who is projected to go in the first round of next month's NHL draft, will be at the league's scouting combine next week in Toronto, but will not participate in the fitness portion.

The 17-year-old had 45 goals and 71 points in 71 games last season.

Maybe trade a vet for an extra 1st and pick Virtanen late? I think he is worth the risk.....sucessful surgery and all.

Well I actually said that Ehlers is riskier but I guess I'll go into more depth.

I feel that Ritchie is a risky pick because there are a lot of Sestitos in the NHL and not a lot of Milan Lucic's skating around. He has had issues with his weight and has a history with injuries. I think he is a safer pick than Ehlers because his floor is higher. He could be an effective bottom six player if he busts, but you don't pick effective bottom six players at #6.

Ehlers, there is the lack of size and the dependency on skill and speed only. Yes he has shown that he can be physical, but that is against players in his own age group and size. The NHL is a different league and he will be pushed around a lot. His floor is a lot lower than Ritchies, as if he doesn't become a bonafide top 6 forward, he won't be playing in the NHL. There is no guarantee that his offense will translate to the NHL level and although I haven't watched him play that often, watching highlight videos of him and the way he scores goals, I am not all that impressed. A lot of tap ins into open goals set up by teammates.

I think Ritchie and Ehlers are both very raw and predicting their potential is very difficult.

I like Virtanen because he feels like a safer pick. This shoulder surgery is nothing serious. He will be in the WHL again next year whether or not he was injured over summer or not. It won't slow down his development much. Listening to what Benning and Linden want Canucks players to be like, Jake Virtanen fits the bill.

I still hope the Canucks are lucky and have one of the top 5s drop like I said in my post and then pick up Virtanen with the 10th pick received in a trade with Anaheim (maybe 24th as well - Sanheim). If they manage to do that we will be looking very good for the future.

Draisaitl/Dal Colle/Bennett, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Virtanen, Jensen, Gaunce (Forward Prospects)

Corrado, Cederholm, Hutton, McNally, Subban, Sanheim (Defensive Prospects)

1)Can you provide a list of the 6ft 176 players (if he never grows anymore or puts on one ounce of weight after age 18) that get 'pushed around' in the NHL? Then contrast that to a list of the other 90% 6ft 176 pound players who dont?

2)Every other player who put up the stats as Ehlers did since the lock out are now first liners, stars and one second liner. There is no prospect who DIDNT translate his skill. Not ONE.

3)Your claim to be unimpressed is irrelevant.

Your love for Virtanen is duly noted but all you have done here is put down the other prospects and sugar coat Virtanen. It renders the opinion useless.

I think we could get amazing value trading down. A lot of scouts have him hovering around 10. Trade our pick for a 1st and 2nd or a b/c prospect. Or try and swing two 1sts from Anaheim and Theodore for Kes and Hansen or something. I'm thinking we might trade our 1st though.

Trade a vet and move up or keep our 6th and then trade a vet for another 1st.

I think we could get amazing value trading down. A lot of scouts have him hovering around 10. Trade our pick for a 1st and 2nd or a b/c prospect. Or try and swing two 1sts from Anaheim and Theodore for Kes and Hansen or something. I'm thinking we might trade our 1st though.

It's too risky to trade down if we have a player in mind that we want. If Virtanen is our guy and we trade down to 10 and he goes 9 then were screwed. If he's the guy we want we pick him at 6. Not often does trading down ever work out. look at how many times the flames have done it and then missed on out a bunch of good picks. (think of the year they traded down to get Jankowski and missed out on Maata, Wilson, teravainen

1)Can you provide a list of the 6ft 176 players (if he never grows anymore or puts on one ounce of weight after age 18) that get 'pushed around' in the NHL? Then contrast that to a list of the other 90% 6ft 176 pound players who dont?

2)Every other player who put up the stats as Ehlers did since the lock out are now first liners, stars and one second liner. There is no prospect who DIDNT translate his skill. Not ONE.

3)Your claim to be unimpressed is irrelevant.

Your love for Virtanen is duly noted but all you have done here is put down the other prospects and sugar coat Virtanen. It renders the opinion useless.

Alexandre Daigle, Put up huge numbers in the Q, and it never translated to the NHL. It does happens, Junior career's no matter how successful they are don't always translate to the NHL, the fact that this was he first year in NA makes him even more riskier, could this just have been a fluke year where he caught fire or is this just the peak of whats to come. Lots of question marks around him

Here is some good news for Jake. I dont know if anyone saw this or not. NESN's Nicholas Gross has released his mock draft.

1) Florida Panthers — Aaron Ekblad, D, Barrie (OHL)

2) Buffalo Sabres — Sam Reinhart, C, Kootenay (WHL)
3) Edmonton Oilers — Sam Bennett, C, Kingston (OHL)
4) Calgary Flames — Leon Draisaitl, C, Prince Albert (WHL)
5) New York Islanders — Michael Dal Colle, LW, Oshawa (OHL)
6) Vancouver Canucks — Jake Virtanen, LW, Calgary (WHL)
7) Carolina Hurricanes — Kasperi Kapanen, RW, Kalpa (SM-Liiga)
8) Toronto Maple Leafs — William Nylander, C, MODO (SHL)
9) Winnipeg Jets — Ivan Barbashev, C, Moncton (QMJHL)
10) Anaheim Ducks (From Ottawa Senators) — Nikolaj Ehlers, LW, Halifax (QMJHL)
11) Nashville Predators — Nick Ritchie, LW, Peterborough (OHL)
12) Phoenix Coyotes — Brendan Perlini, LW, Niagra (OHL)
13) Washington Capitals — Haydn Fleury, D, Red Deer (WHL)
14) Dallas Stars — Julius Honka, D, Swift (WHL)

Alexandre Daigle, Put up huge numbers in the Q, and it never translated to the NHL. It does happens, Junior career's no matter how successful they are don't always translate to the NHL, the fact that this was he first year in NA makes him even more riskier, could this just have been a fluke year where he caught fire or is this just the peak of whats to come. Lots of question marks around him

Every single guy has since the LOCK OUT when some fundamental rules changed. Did you forget that part of my post? Then you cite Daigle from 20 years ago? :lol:

You are like that other guy. When the argument isnt favoring your agenda............simply change the ground rules of the argument.

Edit:Spinning negative hyperbole does not = legitimate question marks around him.

He's the kind of player the Twins need. He's (for once) a Grade A shooter. He's big and isn't afraid to get dirty. This team needs an elite goal scorer. He's the purest goal scorer in the draft. And he'll have a pair of twins who can get him the puck on command.

He's the kind of player the Twins need. He's (for once) a Grade A shooter. He's big and isn't afraid to get dirty. This team needs an elite goal scorer. He's the purest goal scorer in the draft. And he'll have a pair of twins who can get him the puck on command.

If none of the top 5 fall its Jake or Ritchie mark my words. Even though it sounds like we are interested in Fleury as well its too risky taking him at 6th.

The more I think about this kid the more I'm open to drafting him. Preferably not with the 6th overall though, really hope we acquire another pick within the top 10 and draft a B.C. kid. But quite frankly, if Benning and Linden wants to draft a local boy you can build the franchise around I'd say go all in for Reinhart.

The more I think about this kid the more I'm open to drafting him. Preferably not with the 6th overall though, really hope we acquire another pick within the top 10 and draft a B.C. kid. But quite frankly, if Benning and Linden wants to draft a local boy you can build the franchise around I'd say go all in for Reinhart.

Me too.

If we get Ehlers, /Ritchie/ Nyander......................and we can score Virtanen I am all for that. The kid is raw talent. He needs some work but he could be a first line winger because of his speed. :)

If none of the top 5 fall its Jake or Ritchie mark my words. Even though it sounds like we are interested in Fleury as well its too risky taking him at 6th.

Fleury is no more riskier than Virtanen or Ritchie, I'd say that Fleury is the safer pick. The interest in Fleury could be preparation in case they decided to trade down. at 6th I'd take Ehlers, Nylander/Virtanen.

Plain & Simple we need to draft him

- He is a rare talent, size speed and shot. Bleacherreport said he is an offensive dynamo and compares to corry perry, (50 goal scorer MVP) and they said he is as close to a cant miss prospect there is. Hockey hf WHL fans said at the beginning of the season he will be the 1st player taken from the WHL (yes ahead of reinhart) and they said he is a sure fire top 5 pick. A calgary reporter scout said when Virtanen is on , he is a man amongst boys. He said scouts and himself believe when Virtanen is on he is the best and most dominant player in this draft.

- He is a hometown boy, and fans have been clamoring for a hometown physical scoring winger. They always talk about evander kane. Virtanen is light years ahead of kane, way better skater, shooter , just as physical and isnt afraid to fight. And he backchecks. Normally a prospect is either big and girtty or small and skilled, Virtanen is both. Players can only dream of being able to skate and shoot like him. He is so rare because he can blow by you and score a highlight real goal and then come back and hit you like a mack truck. Announcers said they never seen a kid that can hit so hard standing still. If a player comes down the wing, he levels em.

- He was the first overall pick in the 2011 whl draft ahead of draisitl, so called german gretzky and every scout said his skating ability and shot is years ahead of his age. He won fastest skater forwards AND backwards and top prospects game, not only is he lightening fast, but hes smooth. Put this kid in our training camp or young stars tourney and he will make everyone look silly, goes right around d men and splits the d with ease. His backhand is better than most players wristers. Scouts joke his shot is so hard its as hard as his slapper, which is a bomb aswell.

-The last time we had a speed demon pure goal scorer was bure! We are all so used to the slow sedin cycle exc, were the only team in the league that plays so slow. Every gm and coach say the best way to win is to score of the rush, thats what Virtanen and Shinkaruk do best. Ive seen him go backhand top shelf so fast the puck is a blur. Imagine Virtanen Horvat Shinkaruk!

Shinkaruk fell in the draft do to ppl being worried about his size, Virtanen as I said is an unreal skater and has an unreal shot and has size! Hes got the best shot and skating ability in the draft, No player every has both , he does. And he is barely eligble for the draft, by like a month , so imagine if he had another junior season. Easily 60+ goals 100+ points. He finally got his shot this season after waiting patiantly and he dominated. We do not have a prospect like him , he jumps off the television screen. And the fact he is a hometown boy who wont let his family and friends down, adds to how hard he will go. He wants to be a Canuck and we need him!

- Look at the kings, they try and be physical and wear you down and have a few goal scorers. Virtanen will go right around them and then come back and hit you like a mack truck! We passed on enough hometown boys in lucic and ghallagher, no more, DRAFT VIRTANEN! He will be the best player to come from the draft. Lethal goal scoring phenom who can single handedly take over a game and be a gamebreaker. His physicality keep him engaged, so he is never invisible. scoring skating hitting fighting, he does it all.

Stopped reading after "bleacherreport".

I would love to get the 10th pick from Anaheim for Kesler, draft Fleury with the 6th overall and snag a forward with the 10th.

We would then get one of Ehlers, Ritchie, Nylander, or Virtanen at 10. All very different players but similar in terms of value/rank (you could also toss Kapanen and Perlini into that mix).

I would love to get the 10th pick from Anaheim for Kesler, draft Fleury with the 6th overall and snag a forward with the 10th.

We would then get one of Ehlers, Ritchie, Nylander, or Virtanen at 10. All very different players but similar in terms of value/rank (you could also toss Kapanen and Perlini into that mix).

we could take Ehlers at 6

trade for the 10-13 pick and take Ritchie and the latest ranking has Virtanen at 43 by Button...he hasnt fallen that low...but maybe grab him at 36?

Ehlers

Ritchie

Virtanen

Archived