The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft #6

Royals123423

Just be glad the Canucks didn't pick 7th.

The Canucks have drafted 7th three times in their history.

Rick Lanz

Dale Woodley

Alek Stojanov

Lets just say those players didn't become stars.

We have also drafted 5th once (Rick Vaive who played 47 games with the Canucks), and we have drafted 8th once (Jason Herter played 1 NHL game).

The Canucks have never drafted 6th overall in their history.[/quote and Lanz was traded to Toronto for.....Jim Benning who was selected.....sixth overrall in 1981.

you realize that past drafts and where we picked have no impact on current drafts right?

wow just wow

Shinks going to be a boss one day for us

Dude has mad skills

Ill take skill over size any day

This is the nhl, not nba

IMO if we're goin to be a high flying in transition type team he will flourish

But if we're goin to play a dump and chase, battle around the boards defence type hockey

Then I see the concern

But never know

The thing about size in my opinion is interesting, if the player with the lack of size has enough skill to offset the lack of size...then I'm all in for those smallish skilled players example Kane

players like Ehlers, Nylander, Kapanen

Kapanen doesn't have a lack of size he's 6'0 181 and he's still a 17 year old born in July, he could easily grow to 6'1 or maybe 6'2 & 190+

The more I read and hear about this kid, the more I think he's who we should be looking at drafting at 6th. He won't be turning 18 August.

Could someone explain why we'd consider taking Dal Colle over Virtanen?

Virtanen is about the same height, but heavier, faster and more physical.

Because Dal Colle is a much better offensive player. Along with a higher hockey sense/IQ, better 200ft game.

I don't see him like Eberle at all really.

More like a Dustin Brown or a Ryan Kesler type of player. (without the defensive game)

Without the defensive game? So not like Kesler at all? :lol:

His skills are very similar to Eberle actually. Especially his wicked backhand, and his ability to drive the net and get the goalie moving side to side.

The only area he's different is that he has a bit more grit to his game. Don't see a whole lot of Dustin Brown in him though.

His playing style reminds me of Eberle.

You wouldn't take Eberle 6th overall?

The guy is the worst troll on the forum

He is in lust with a 170 pound creampuff of a boy who he swears will go in the top 3 and be greater than Gretzky while still giving him the ol danish rub n tug with his Ehlers towel

There is LITERALLY no talking to this clown. especially after that Virtanen is a 3rd round talent comment. it is indicative of the "scouting" he does. he watches 1 guy and reads bleacher reports

VIRTANEN OVER DAL COLLE?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME.

WATCH THEM.

Dal Colle has Hockey-IQ worth top-5 consideration. Virtanen has Hockey-IQ worth third-round consideration.

3rd round consideration huh....

So. going 1st overall in a solidly scouted WHL draft means nothing. Being 17 years old with his height size IQ and scoring ability as well as skating and speed is worth 3rd round consideration.

Where was Ehlers again before the WJC? How many scouts or mock drafts had him in the top 10?

That's right none.

Where as basically everyone and their dog had 17 year old Jake Virtanen in their top 10. He is the only kid of his age ground like this in the draft yet only has 3rd round hockey IQ

You really and truly have NO clue what you're talking about and it shows.

If Dal Colle is gone, Ekblad and Reinhart gone and it comes down to Virtanen or Ehlers...that cream puff can go kiss off in Canes land somewhere as we can see his ceiling. We can't yet with Jake Virtanen. RW RH Jake Virtanen

Who by the way, IF is just like Kesler is great as everyone has Kesler pegged to leave the club soon.

After watching those great western conference games last night, I'm so torn on who to draft at 6th.

It's clear from watching these games that skill and speed are a must, and are things our team desperately needs. We must draft skill and speed.

On the other hand, the games were also incredibly physical, and it's pretty obvious our team has a way to go in this area as well.

So do you draft the highest skill and speed player, then surround them with physical players with some skill?

Or do you go for a more all around player who might have less high end skill, but has better size and isn't afraid to use it, especially in the tough Western conference?

I'm so confused.

really hope we are not planning on taking Ehlers with the 6th overall - thats not a "boston Bruins" type pick

Bruins type picks in our range

-Bennet

-Virtanen

-Ritchie

-Perlinie

-Fleury

-McCann

If they keep talking about Boston Bruins type hockey and then go and pick ehlers, it will be pretty bizarre, especially as Virtanen fits the bruins mold perfectly, is the youngest of the group, is from abbotsford and says his favorite player growing up was Trevor Lindedn

You build a team of physical giants that can play and then sneak in a super skilled smaller fast guy here and there.

excellent point, but we do not have a team of giants yet

Big boys

Kassian

Jensen

Gaunce

- of those, only kassian is physical

Decent sized boys

-Horvat

-Fox

-Cassels

- all are gritty

Small Boys

-Shinkarirk

If we got the 10th pick in the anaheim trade, I would be all for drafting one big guy and one skill guy

ex: Virtanen and ehlers or Ritchie and Nylander etc..

I find McCann very intriguing, everyone on this board says he carried his team this year - to me that gives him a trevor linden type feel

A guy like Virtanen that has offensive skills & can skate with the best of them.....

I still say trade down for him, pick up another 1st rounder.

His seemingly lack of a D game isn't an issue IMO that can be taught.....

Skill & speed you can't

3rd round consideration huh....

So. going 1st overall in a solidly scouted WHL draft means nothing. Being 17 years old with his height size IQ and scoring ability as well as skating and speed is worth 3rd round consideration.

Where was Ehlers again before the WJC? How many scouts or mock drafts had him in the top 10?

That's right none.

Where as basically everyone and their dog had 17 year old Jake Virtanen in their top 10. He is the only kid of his age ground like this in the draft yet only has 3rd round hockey IQ

You really and truly have NO clue what you're talking about and it shows.

If Dal Colle is gone, Ekblad and Reinhart gone and it comes down to Virtanen or Ehlers...that cream puff can go kiss off in Canes land somewhere as we can see his ceiling. We can't yet with Jake Virtanen. RW RH Jake Virtanen

Who by the way, IF is just like Kesler is great as everyone has Kesler pegged to leave the club soon.

He definitely exaggerated the third round hockey iq comment but I see where he's coming from. His vision is really suspect and he's definitely a me first player and the games I've seen he was completely invisible. Not involved in creating offense and not involved anywhere else so he's pretty inconsistent. I've also heard from people who know him that he's got a pretty poor attitude too. I think at 6th we'll have a better option to be honest but I guess we could do worse.

Archived