The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ISS/CS Draft Rankings - 2014 NHL Entry Draft

motzaburger

Van picks 6th Draisaitl ranked 6th, and still other good prospects ahead and behind that rank. I think its safe to say we will draft a real good young player. Whether he develops into a star cant be determined now. No matter what we will get a talented kid and then its up to us to help him become the player we will need.

Still, I would love if Draisaitl went to us at 6 overall, Virtanen looks good and is homegrown. Ritchie, Dal Colle Bennet, Reinhart, Nylander, Ehlers and others would all be good picks if yu put personal preference behind. I just hope whoever we pick turns out to be a real keeper.

Exactly. Doesn’t matter if the prospect is NhL ready or not because the rest of our prospects aren’t either. Chances are who we pick at this draft will go back to junior for another year and we will see Shinkaruk come up in a year or two and same with this draft choice. We will have a talented player, we need to develop our top prospects well and hope they pan out.

We don't have a guy who can be our 2nd line centre right now if Kesler gets moved. Horvat should probably be on the 3rd line to start his career.

Draisaitl probably fits the bill the best, Nylander is a little smaller and doesn't help us match up against the California teams as well.

Sedin-Sedin-_____

_____-Draisaitl-Kassian

Higgins-Matthias-Horvat

Richardson-Lain-Santorelli

Sestito

That is a very different looking forward roster and the return for the veteran pieces going out (or the ones that don't move) can fill in the blanks as well as beef up the defence and give us more prospects/picks.

Youth injection with a solid bunch of veterans to teach them how to play.... probably a lower end playoff team but on the upswing rather than downswing.

So anyone with a bertuzzi reference that wants someone like him can't comment on kassians performance for a couple years as most power forwards like that are on a slow curve with a short lived level of prime ! Bertuzzi was horrible with minor flashes before finally hitting stride after how many seasons !

We don't have a guy who can be our 2nd line centre right now if Kesler gets moved. Horvat should probably be on the 3rd line to start his career.

Draisaitl probably fits the bill the best, Nylander is a little smaller and doesn't help us match up against the California teams as well.

Sedin-Sedin-_____

_____-Draisaitl-Kassian

Higgins-Matthias-Horvat

Richardson-Lain-Santorelli

Sestito

That is a very different looking forward roster and the return for the veteran pieces going out (or the ones that don't move) can fill in the blanks as well as beef up the defence and give us more prospects/picks.

Youth injection with a solid bunch of veterans to teach them how to play.... probably a lower end playoff team but on the upswing rather than downswing.

These guys aren't going to be NHL ready

But by the time our prospects are competing well at an NHL level doesn’t necessarily mean that the California teams and other teams in the west are going to be about size and toughness. As our prospects develop so will other so who know where we would lie with Nylander, Dal Colle? Only time will tell.

These guys aren't going to be NHL ready

Our 1st round selection will be on the roster... I think it is inevitable, not only for optics on a re-tool and youth injection.. but also because he will be a better prospect than anyone we have in the system.

We have the veterans to make sure the young guys are starting out a line below their real potential to shelter and ease them into the league. (Draisaitl projects as a possible top line player.... Horvat as a 2nd line player.

We will not be babying this selection and they will be given every possible chance to succeed (and then some)

Our 1st round selection will be on the roster... I think it is inevitable, not only for optics on a re-tool and youth injection.. but also because he will be a better prospect than anyone we have in the system.

We have the veterans to make sure the young guys are starting out a line below their real potential to shelter and ease them into the league. (Draisaitl projects as a possible top line player.... Horvat as a 2nd line player.

We will not be babying this selection and they will be given every possible chance to succeed (and then some)

I agree 100%, if you want a dominant player, they have to develop in the nhl and be able to adapt, otherwise you might as well trade down and develop, the Toews, Landeskogs, Tavares' of this league don't dominate by spending a year or 2 in juniors and 1-2 more in the ahl. They are usually holding their own as a 2nd or 3rd liner at 18-19, ready to lead at 22 instead of take baby steps into this league. That's why we've had no players develop into dominant players in this organization in the last 10+ years.

I know their play is what matters, but do you guys really want a kid who looks like Ritchie on the Canucks? The guy's like a 7 on the Sopel-Scale.

I know their play is what matters, but do you guys really want a kid who looks like Ritchie on the Canucks? The guy's like a 7 on the Sopel-Scale.

He just needs to keep a clean look. Hope he doesn't pick up any tips from Kassian regarding grooming

I agree 100%, if you want a dominant player, they have to develop in the nhl and be able to adapt, otherwise you might as well trade down and develop, the Toews, Landeskogs, Tavares' of this league don't dominate by spending a year or 2 in juniors and 1-2 more in the ahl. They are usually holding their own as a 2nd or 3rd liner at 18-19, ready to lead at 22 instead of take baby steps into this league. That's why we've had no players develop into dominant players in this organization in the last 10+ years.

We also haven't exactly had the best picks to get guys capable of being NHL ready at 18 years old.

We were also in "win now" mode which means that you don't ice guys just to develop them for later. That is no longer the case for our team. We aren't entirely rebuilding, but there will certainly be a focus on the future rather than contending next year.

Our top prospects need to be ready for top line duty in 2-4 years as the Sedins drop down to 2nd line players before they retire. As you say... you don't get there by staying in juniors.

For every young guy we put in the lineup, we have a veteran who can return us assets freed up. There is a VERY thin free agent pool this summer and a lot of money going around, which means that there will be a lot of teams left at the altar who didn't get the players they were targetting. It creates a market for us to shed veterans for younger players, prospects, and picks.... heck even Booth could garner a modest return under the right circumstances.

How many guys who were drafted in the later rounds are put into a position of holding their own as a 2nd or 3rd liner at 18-19? To be fair, you are talking about guys who are high first round picks who have an exceptional talent level and are also ahead of the norm in physical development. Further, a lot depends on the situation in which these young players find themselves (coaching etc).

I noticed that you didn't mention any of Edmonton's prospects. How well is Edmonton doing with all of their 1st overalls and other high picks being thrown into the NHL to adapt? Hall is doing well, but I'm thinking that some of them could have used another year in junior or the AHL.

After being drafted, Shea Weber played another two years in Kelowna and spent a further half a season in the AHL before moving up. The experience didn't seem to hurt him, or doesn't he count because he's a d-man? How about Getzlaf? He spent another two and a half years in juniors and the AHL before he made it with the Ducks. Go through the list of top point getters this season and you'll see that the vast majority spent at least another year (or more) playing hockey somewhere other than at the NHL level.

regards,

G.

How many guys who were drafted in the later rounds are put into a position of holding their own as a 2nd or 3rd liner at 18-19? To be fair, you are talking about guys who are high first round picks who have an exceptional talent level and are also ahead of the norm in physical development. Further, a lot depends on the situation in which these young players find themselves (coaching etc).

regards,

G.

We are talking about a high pick at #6 to be fair, one who is physically matured.

I completely agree about the situation you need to put them in as well. I think the Edmonton model of simply throwing a bunch of kids together to "figure it out" is clearly not the way to go.

Putting a few young guys in your lineup surrounded by veterans is certainly a decent way to develop them.

All it takes is one reach from the top 5 teams for a player like Bennett, Leon or MDC to drop. Calgary loves Ritchie (who wouldn't, he's got size and skill) and NYI doesn't need a centre at all with Tavares, Strome and Nelson (perfect 3rd line centre). I could defintely see them taking Ehlers as well.

A lot of wild cards in play with both Burke and Snow. Bennett, MDC or Draisaitl could all fall to 6. How amazing would that be? I love Ehlers and Ritchie but I take those 3 10/10.

All it takes is one reach from the top 5 teams for a player like Bennett, Leon or MDC to drop. Calgary loves Ritchie (who wouldn't, he's got size and skill) and NYI doesn't need a centre at all with Tavares, Strome and Nelson (perfect 3rd line centre). I could defintely see them taking Ehlers as well.

A lot of wild cards in play with both Burke and Snow. Bennett, MDC or Draisaitl could all fall to 6. How amazing would that be? I love Ehlers and Ritchie but I take those 3 10/10.

I'm not letting myself think that Draisaitl might drop. That would be fantastic

Give me a Canadian kid that can go to the tough areas and put the ???? puck in the net. That's what this team is sorely missing. The last thing we need is another player that plays the perimeter in a cycling fashion(our PP speaks for itself on that topic)

Virtannen - his favorite player is trevor linden

So true

Archived