The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If you were the new GM what would be the first order of business you took care of?

Canuckler87

Gillis did not revamp the scouting, get your facts right. Even on team 1040 they were discussing the lack of scouting success and the same personnel from the burke nonis gillis era.

and yes the top six is not good enough

also there is a difference between drafting free prospects and drafting from the actual draft which we have not really done well BEFORE last seasons draft

we don't have our own 25ish old range that were prospects from the draft, that gap from those draft years is the reason why we are in a hole right now

I hope Benning comes in and fires the entire scouting staff and let him hire the real scouts that are capable

A great cup of coffee a honest assessment of every one in the organization a detailed plan by ownership a list of all assistant GM's all GM's who have done well a conplete comparison of what works for other organizations.

Target my own plan, find a GM who thinks the same way or as close as possible, alter job for the current GM making his only function cap related.

Hire Benning along with David mcnabb as assistant, remove current scouting staff giving them other jobs within the organization while going after the best scouts in the business.

Tell burrows and the Sedins they are going to Detroit for picks plus two roster players.

Tell Edler he is going to the oilers or he well be bought out. Of course Edler well go, give oilers a third round pick then secure their first inthis up coming draft.

Trade the three picks from Detroit, a first second and third this year to Florida for their first.

At the draft take ekblad first, Sam R second with our 6th take the local kid Mr V.

Buy out Booth, go for a 2nd line centre for free agent signing.

We get the 2nd pick by giving sabers our first second next year and our third the following year.

We would have plenty of cap space to fill any holes, while leaving room for young players, prospects and free agent signings to fight for roster spots.

Goal for the team should be big fast skilled players targeting playoff performers where ever possible.

Have to wait until playoff finish up regarding coach situation as I would not retain torts. To me playing the right way means attacking not just defending, it mean owning all areas of the ice, our current roster, coach can not do that.

We need a great puck moving defenceman, more than a few talented driven players, players not afraid to play any style not just a single minded system.

A balanced team can be had within three years without tanking for good picks, we would retain some vets, while moving those assets for useable parts before value is impacted, too much.

Yeah right. I should wake up now.

Lol

- Fire Tortorella, interview coaches (Stevens, Trotz, up and coming assistants or AHL coaches)

- Bring in new scouting staff

- Retire the orca jersey. Use the current stick-in-rink 3rd as our Home and a white version as our away. Johnny Canuck alternate as our 3rd, black '94 skate jersey as a retro throwback.

- Kesler to PIT for Pouliot, Sutter, 2nd or to PHI for a deal involving Couturier ++

- Edler to DET for 2014 1st rnd pick (16th?)

- Try and dump Burrows if we can, otherwise hope he starts hot and flip him midseason or at the deadline. Keep Booth, only has one year left on his deal anyways.

- Listen to offers on Garrison, Hansen.

- Try and trade into the top 5 and grab one of Ekblad, Reinhart, or Bennett, packaging our 6th pick and DET's 16th from the Edler trade.

- Entertain offers for the Sedins although I reckon it would be extremely difficult to move them. Otherwise let them play out their careers.

- Stay quiet in free agency and tank for McDavid.

- Keep the cap relatively clear then once McDavid, Ekblad/Bennett/Reinhart, Pouliot start developing sign some impact veteran UFAs and make a run.

People want Torts gone because he plays a defensive style of Hockey. People want Barry Trotz because he plays a defensive style of Hockey.

exactly dude .. i dont get it either .. coaching aside we need to start by trading kes .. getting a great young roster player and a pick a little later in the first round .. whats alway crazy to me is that your first pick isn't as important as the next 6 or 7 .. thats when you can change your teams fortunes .. lets concentrate on drafting 1st and foremost

1st: Sign Kassian 2 years @ 2

2nd: Sign Santorelli 1 year @ 1.5

3rd: Sign Tanev 4 years @ 2.5

4th: Sign Jensen 2 years @ 1.5

5th: Buy out Booth

6th: Move up in the draft, Edler and Hansen + 2nd to Islanders for the 5th pick. Draft Dal Colle/Draisaitl

7th: Draft Ritchie if available

8th: Trade Higgins and Schroeder for Alec Martinez

9th: If available try to sign Benoit Pouliot 2 years @ 3ish

Can't decide if we should keep Kesler or not, I don't think we can find a player that's better than him at the price of 5 mil.

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Pouliot - Mathias - Jensen

Kassian - Horvat - Burrows

Sestito - Richardsson - Santorelli

Schratches: Zalevski, Lain.

Hamhuis - Tanev

Bieksa - Garrisson

Corrado - Stanton/Martinez

Lack

Markstrom

With these changes we'll have a deep prospect pool with the likes of Horvat, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Corrado, 5th and 6th pick, Fox as our top prospects. And players like Cassels, Subban with the possibility to take a roster spot in the future. We'll get a player like Pouliot capable of 60 points and who still have a decent two-way game. It gets us a defencemen in mid-twenies with offensive upside. And we have players who can move up and down the lineup. And we would still have cap space to make more moves during the summer/rest of the year.

Honestly, I would make some changes to the coaches as an easy fix, but the hardest changes are the ones that are needed, and that's getting rid of Alex Edler and Alex Burrows. For whatever reason, both of them struggled all year long with Tortorella's coaching style (as did the Sedins).

Obviously the Sedins and Kesler are untouchable (as we've just seen a trade get cancelled by ownership - would have honestly been the right thing to do) and Edler has already said he doesn't want to waive his NTC, so the new GM is in a bit of a pickle.

Hamhuis, Bieksa, Tanev, Corrado, Stanton, Weber, Alberts and Garrison all play to their money and expectations, but Edler has played his last odd 150-200 games horribly and needs a new change of scenery. Hopefully he can be traded to a place he wants to go to (ie. Detroit or another Canadian, successful market) and we get a 5M forward who's been underachieving and needs a fresh start in return.

The positive of these playoffs is actually that our players might be willing to waive their NTC to go to a team that wins the Cup this season or are more successful, because we need to get rid of these 4-5M contracts with NTCs that are dead-weights and not producing for us anymore. The two big names that come to mind are Burrows and Edler, with Booth not far off (but he played exceptionally the last 10-15 games of the season).

Basically:

1) Trade Edler for a top-6 forward who's underachieving too and needs a new start (Bourque/one of the many Colorado or Edmonton forwards)

2) Move Burrows out for a decent veteran goaltender to help groom Lack and Markstrom

3) Get a full influx of youth to take their places

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian (I know Torts says that he's still learning but Kassian's time will have come next season, he's primed for a break-out year)

Horvat - Kesler - Bourque (solid defensively, physical playoff-like line, Horvat's the playmaker)

Jensen - Matthias - Hansen (good mix of speed, a very youthful line with size and grit too)

Higgins - Richardson - Santorelli (a dog-like, hard working trio that will break games open and probably move up the lineup, especially in case of injury. 3rd and 4th lines interchangeable)

Booth/Fox/Cassels/Shinkaruk/Gaunce etc.

Hamhuis - Tanev (Tanev will be a consistent 22 minute defenceman next year)

Bieksa - Garrison

Corrado - Stanton

Weber

Alberts

Lack

Veteran backup goalie

Markstrom

I would have to say the first order of business would be to get a new chair in the GM's office... But in all seriousness an assessment of personnel from top to bottom would be the obvious choice for Mr. Linden.

This team has a lot of question marks when going from a contender to pretender so fast... The CDC mob watch the players everyday and have already evaluated the players but Linden needs to look at his evaluation team to ensure the direction of the team was/is on the right track.

Are our scouts good enough? Not just drafting players but evaluating trades, roster players and prospects. Is Linden going to get the advice he needs? Start from the top down and you will ensure the highest odds of success.

The roster players have a lot of questions as we all know and comment on every day...

Burrows year an injury plagued anomaly?

Kassian Ready for top 6 duties?

Is Santorelli a top 6 forward?

Does our Defense have the IQ to play both ends of the ice?

Do our Forwards have the IQ to play defense?

Our on ice problems are glaringly obvious. 1) Inability to score 2)Cover the middle of the ice in our own zone giving opponents grade A chances from the slot. and 3)Lack of puck support giving up odd man rushes.

Is it coaching? Players? Morale?

Making the right assessment of the personnel from top to bottom will help Linden get some of the answers he needs to solve some of the problems the Canucks have.

Personally I think we still have a good core. Defensive IQ really seems to be the issue for me watching the team. Some trades might be in order to get proper coverage in both ends of the ice. A decent UFA might afford us some needed depth.

Lack

Veteran backup goalie

Markstrom

So are you basically advocating that they carry 3 goalies on the 23 man roster?

I've been wondering about this idea actually. I couldn't find anything specific in the rules/CBA that says you can't carry three active goalies (ie: healthy and on active roster).

All the guidelines state, as I understand them, is that a team must have a minimum of 20 players (18 skaters and 2 goalies) and can carry a maximum of 23 players on the active roster (with injured players not counting against the 23-man limit).

Of course, the usual player breakdowns are as follows:

13 forwards, 8 defensemen, 2 goalies

14 forwards, 7 defensemen, 2 goalies

But why not go with something like this?

12 forwards

8 defensemen (including one F/D hybrid--Y. Weber can play this role)

3 goalies (Lack, Markstrom, and a "veteran backup goalie")

Especially if the Canucks have players like Gaunce, Shinkaruk, and Fox (maybe Jensen as well) starting 2014-15 in Utica (added to the current group of potential call-ups). You could reasonably plan to open the Canucks 2014-15 season with 12 forwards (plus Weber for emergencies) and then just cover the forward injuries with Utica players (call-ups as needed).

But the Canucks should still carry eight NHL-ready defensemen , however, as we always seem to need as much depth available on D as possible.

If Lack and Markstrom prove to be an effective tandem that can carry the load unassisted, the Canucks can just trade/waive the veteran guy and return to a traditional 21 skaters + 2 goalies playing roster.

Starting the year with a three goalie configuration allows the Canucks to keep both Lack and Markstrom (since neither would clear waivers so they can't get sent to Utica) and still have the "safety net" of a veteran NHL back-up goalie who could come in a stabilize the goaltending if things went completely sideways with the two youngsters.

It's certainly an intriguing option.

It would be really interesting to see who ended up in the press box with a "three goalie" system. Possibly the best option would be the alternate Lack and Markstrom as the starters and then have the veteran guy on the bench as their back-up. So basically, when not starting, either Lack or Markstrom would be healthy scratches and the veteran guy would sit on the bench for every game (unless he was needed). I suppose you'd have to throw the "old guy" a handful of starts, however, just to keep him sharp (even if Lack and Markstrom were both healthy and playing well).

I wonder if there's an NHL veteran goaltender out there who'd be willing to play this rather unique backup role?

You can't play an offensive style of hockey if you can't score so get some goal scorers that resemble:

a) PAVEL BURE

B) WEST COAST EXPRESS LINE (Morrison, Bertuzzi and Nazzy)

Since both a) and B) are gone, we have seen pretty much doom and gloom when it comes to scoring especially in the PLAYOFFS and now the Regular Season too.

So are you basically advocating that they carry 3 goalies on the 23 man roster?

I've been wondering about this idea actually. I couldn't find anything specific in the rules/CBA that says you can't carry three active goalies (ie: healthy and on active roster).

All the guidelines state, as I understand them, is that a team must have a minimum of 20 players (18 skaters and 2 goalies) and can carry a maximum of 23 players on the active roster (with injured players not counting against the 23-man limit).

Of course, the usual player breakdowns are as follows:

13 forwards, 8 defensemen, 2 goalies

14 forwards, 7 defensemen, 2 goalies

But why not go with something like this?

12 forwards

8 defensemen (including one F/D hybrid--Y. Weber can play this role)

3 goalies (Lack, Markstrom, and a "veteran backup goalie")

Especially if the Canucks have players like Gaunce, Shinkaruk, and Fox (maybe Jensen as well) starting 2014-15 in Utica (added to the current group of potential call-ups). You could reasonably plan to open the Canucks 2014-15 season with 12 forwards (plus Weber for emergencies) and then just cover the forward injuries with Utica players (call-ups as needed).

But the Canucks should still carry eight NHL-ready defensemen , however, as we always seem to need as much depth available on D as possible.

If Lack and Markstrom prove to be an effective tandem that can carry the load unassisted, the Canucks can just trade/waive the veteran guy and return to a traditional 21 skaters + 2 goalies playing roster.

Starting the year with a three goalie configuration allows the Canucks to keep both Lack and Markstrom (since neither would clear waivers so they can't get sent to Utica) and still have the "safety net" of a veteran NHL back-up goalie who could come in a stabilize the goaltending if things went completely sideways with the two youngsters.

It's certainly an intriguing option.

It would be really interesting to see who ended up in the press box with a "three goalie" system. Possibly the best option would be the alternate Lack and Markstrom as the starters and then have the veteran guy on the bench as their back-up. So basically, when not starting, either Lack or Markstrom would be healthy scratches and the veteran guy would sit on the bench for every game (unless he was needed). I suppose you'd have to throw the "old guy" a handful of starts, however, just to keep him sharp (even if Lack and Markstrom were both healthy and playing well).

I wonder if there's an NHL veteran goaltender out there who'd be willing to play this rather unique backup role?

You are certainly able to carry three goalies. There is no positional limitation on your 23 man roster.

I'm not a big advocate of doing it for any length of time but, as you stated, for the short term at the beginning of the season it's not unthinkable.

Gillis did not revamp the scouting, get your facts right. Even on team 1040 they were discussing the lack of scouting success and the same personnel from the burke nonis gillis era.

and yes the top six is not good enough

also there is a difference between drafting free prospects and drafting from the actual draft which we have not really done well BEFORE last seasons draft

we don't have our own 25ish old range that were prospects from the draft, that gap from those draft years is the reason why we are in a hole right now

I hope Benning comes in and fires the entire scouting staff and let him hire the real scouts that are capable

Not correct.

It wasn't a complete overhaul but he shifted the responsibilities of certain scouts and hired many more new people to almost double the size of the staff.

Eric Crawford was given substantial new power to affect the draft choices from Delorme and that looks to be a solid and sweeping change. He's one of the scouts that has earned his retention.

Poutine in the concession areas.

After that, I would sit down with all of the players who possess NTCs and find out who really wants to be here. Maybe now that Trev is in charge that feeling is changing among some of the players. I would not be surprised if Kes wants to stay; not that his request of a trade has ever been truly confirmed. We have a couple players that can net us some future stability if they do not want to be here. I am sure Trev is well aware of that.

What I would do is simple: deal away most of the roster for draft picks and prospects, rebuild through the draft, and aim to acquire at least two top-five picks over this season and next. I'd then approach free agents to fill in the missing roles, and they just might sign at paycuts to play alongside the likes of Reinhart or more significantly, McDavid.

I wouldn't fire Torts... but I would share my plan with him and leave it to him to decide if he'll stay and endure one or two losing seasons or if he'll go.

What I would do is simple: deal away most of the roster for draft picks and prospects, rebuild through the draft, and aim to acquire at least two top-five picks over this season and next. I'd then approach free agents to fill in the missing roles, and they just might sign at paycuts to play alongside the likes of Reinhart or more significantly, McDavid.

I wouldn't fire Torts... but I would share my plan with him and leave it to him to decide if he'll stay and endure one or two losing seasons or if he'll go.

So so glad you aren't in charge of anything

Archived