The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why the Canucks should draft Jake Virtanen

canucks155

OK, well some people seem to say that he should be considered for that pick. Bottom line is, people have to recognize the huge drop off after the first one, two, maybe three picks, and have realistic expectations. Horvat was ninth pick and he is not likely to play until the season after next and it is likely to be at least a couple of years before he can make a real impact, change games, and that is if things work out very well. Virtanen could not impact a WHL playoff series, he is faaaaaar from being able to impact an NHL game. Maybe some day, in 4-5 years. Maybe.

People who are saying he should be considered for that pick are definitely wrong. He should be around 9th or later.

But yes, I agree with you. Especially that Virtanen will be a project, and that's something I do not want.

But hey, if we draft Virtanen and he turns into a stud, I'll happily admit how wrong I was.

People who are saying he should be considered for that pick are definitely wrong. He should be around 9th or later.

But yes, I agree with you. Especially that Virtanen will be a project, and that's something I do not want.

But hey, if we draft Virtanen and he turns into a stud, I'll happily admit how wrong I was.

News flash: They're all projects.

simple solution, move hansen to the oilers with our 6th overall for their third

:)

and we can get Dal Colle / Bennett or Reinhart, whomever isn't taken yet

There's no way hansen even makes a difference. They're not moving down from the top 5 over a 3rd liner

thank god, it's the canucks making the choice....cdc can't make up it's mind on anybody...

The reason why fans can't come to a consensus is because there is no consensus 6th pick from the experts and professionals. The top 5 is set in stone by the experts and after that no one can agree.

Virtanen is so hyped on these boards that it is beyond ridiculous. Kassian is much better than virtanen since he is already a top 6 in the NHL. Who knows if Virtnen even makes the NHL, nevermind being better than kassian.

No s*** Kassian is better than Virtanen RIGHT NOW. Virtanen is 17 and still hasen't gotten drafted. Kassian is 23 and has been in the league for a ocuple of years. You're comparing a guy who hasn't even gotten drafted, let alone played an NHL game to a guy in Kassian who's been in the pros for 3ish years now. Kassian may be a top 6 fwd on our team, but not on a lot of other good teams. Obviously we don't know if Virtanen will make the NHL. We don't know if Ekblad, Reinhart, Ricthie, etc, will make the NHL. There's risk to every pick. Give Virtanen 6 years of development and he'll be farther along than what Kassian is right now.

This might be the dumbest comment on this thread- and that's saying a lot.

Wow, I don't know a thing about many prospects, but this guy looks like he has everything. Exactly what you need, speed, size, and skill. That is the perfect player, who has more than one attribute.

Kinda reminds me of Marleau. But as I said I don't know too much, as long we draft someone that can be in the lineup next season. Sick of just drafting players and never seeing them for years later.

I know a few people who are graduating with him this year and they say he's as cocky as it gets. I don't want a snob on the team. Apparently he's like tyler seguin minus the elite skill.

There's a word for those players, it's called jealousy. Look at the team right now, Kesler and Burrows are among the 2 most hated guys in the league. They dive and bite, in the case of Burrows (not saying whether it was right or wrong, just stating a fact).As long as u produce on the ice, idgaf how u act.

I wouldn't either be against drafting him but I think that there are other options that would be safer pics like Nick Ritchie, Brendan Perlini and Haydn Fleury.

Nick Ritchie is the furthest thing from a safe pick. Injuries, inconsistency and "weight issues" plague a player who could be great or a bust.

If he wasn't a bc boy, no one here would even be talking about him

He's projected to go in the top 10 and maybe at #8. Ppl would still be talking about him regardless of where he was from. Altho, I do agree that more ppl talk about him because he's from here.

I would rather see a humble, hard working team. Swagger does not necessarily mean cocky. Won't be fun if he turns into a locker room cancer

He's the furthest thing from a locker room cancer. He's a leader for the Hitmen at the age of 17. I would also appreciate it if everybody would stop throwing around the word "cancer." Cancer effects millions worldwide and shouldn't be thrown around as a term to describe a hockey player inside a locker room...

He's got speed, size, and shooting ability. Sounds pretty good to me, as it seems like any perceived deficiencies in his game are the kind that can be cleared up with good coaching. Coaching isn't going to help Ehlers gain 50 lbs. It's not going to fix Ritchie's concussion history. I laugh at the Booth comparisons regarding Virtanen when Ritchie's already proven to be injury-prone.

Ehlers worries me. Even if he's not playing on a line with Drouin, he's getting the weaker matchups as a result of teams putting their best defensive players against Drouin. The Q isn't exactly known for its defense to begin with, so it's easy to see how his stats might be a little bit inflated. Yes, some of the hits that people worry about him taking would be illegal in the NHL. However, look at Daniel Sedin. That elbow was dirty as hell. However, he's never been the same player since taking that hit. It's wishful thinking to think opponents won't take liberties with him, especially if the officials don't clean up their act.

I agree that we need another top line center. However, power forwards take longer to develop on average than most players. Therefore, it makes sense to take one earlier in the rebuild, and a center next year. This increases the liklihood that players reach their prime around the same time. We are not going to be finished this rebuild in one year.

If nobody drops out of the top 5, Virtanen's clearly the best choice in my opinion.

Archived