The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why the Canucks should draft Jake Virtanen

canucks155

You can't seriously be comparing Booth to Virtanen...

Also, 45 goals in 71 games says other wise.

I can actually see Virtanen becoming a player similar to Booth in his prime... Maybe a bit better...

Also, Booth had 31 goals in 70ish games... In the NHL.

I can actually see Virtanen becoming a player similar to Booth in his prime... Maybe a bit better...

Booth as a prospect wasn't nearly as fast, physical or able to score as Virtanen, hence him being a late-2nd round talent. The comparison is off.

Only thing Kass has over him is his size. Virtanen is the more all around player.

you're kidding right?

Kassian has great wheels

See's the ice better than anyone other than Henrik

Can beat the crap out of people

Has developed his defensive play

Is using his size well now along the boards and in open ice to create room

Just needs to learn to hit

Can finish with the best on the team but seems to be more at home passing

AND THAT IS IN THE NHL!!!

The guy is 2 years away from being a complete package and you say some rookie from the WHL who can't see the ice and can finish has more skill?

wow

Booth as a prospect wasn't nearly as fast, physical or able to score as Virtanen, hence him being a late-2nd round talent. The comparison is off.

point is head down, straight ahead player.

we dont need another player that cant use his linemates effectively, unless the guy is bure, which he is not, he is going to have to know how to play a team game

knock on him is he doesn't know how to do that, sorry but the guy isn't even dominating junior (ie 90-100pts) he scored alot of goals, great, aint gonna be as easy in the bigs....

if you are only one dimensional its a bad thing, unless again, you are bure talent

I don't think he is the best pick. Considering our prospects I think if we can we should scoop up someone like Draisaitl instead. Sure his foot speed may be slow but he's got size and talent, plus Leon can also shoot. We have two decent young right wings in Jensen and Kass so we probably don't NEED Jake as much, and we have Shinkaruk who should have top-line upside on the left. Up the middle Horvat may top out as 2nd liner like Kes and Gaunce/ Cassels may be 3rd liners. I'd take Draisaitl or Dal Colle if either were still around or I'd pick an offensive center if Leon is gone.

I see Virtanen having all the qualities that Ryan Kesler has. He is fast , has offensive upside and is tenacious. I hope we can grab ottawa's pick and grab him at #10

I'd rather the canucks pick an offensive center (1st line potential center) such as Nylander as I am not sold on our prospects down the middle (with the exception of Horvat) being a strong force for us in the future. There is a significant drop between Horvat and Gaunce in terms of potential, and Schroeder doesn't seem to be an ideal top center for us. Although, Virtanen is interesting; there is no doubt he is a special player.

Virtanen eerily reminds me a LOT of an Evander Kane/Iginla type of player. I can see why some would compare him to booth, but I think Booth (before his fatal injury) was more a guy that would mostly drive to the net and use his speed to dangle and score goals. I've seen a lot of Hitmen games this year and Virtanen is always contributing; whether if it's scoring goals, making hits, killing penalties, he's always involved somehow and you really notice it. His most eye-catching attribute above all, is that he has a great, hard shot that basically almost always hits the target. That to me screams a young Iginla. If you have a chance at Iginla, you pick him.

with exception of size and skill slight advantage to kassian with maybe a little bit more foot speed since ritchie is considered a fast skater for his size, ritchie is a more complete player when it comes offence, he's a sniper creash crasher , runs the power play fights and he hits non stop, he has far more substance in his game, and a superior play maker to kassian. please don't forget ritchie probably has the best snap shooting and wristing shooting, in this draft .

that said, I wouldn't mind virtannen. moving foward I would much rather have him over the 3 soft european players come playoff time they will produce a little bit more in points, but virtannen will be a huge presence

Virtanen's pluses:

1) Great wrister, loves to shoot, quick release, this is his best attribute, his accuracy is quite impressive.

2) Good speed and stability on his scates at speed

3) Good size and physicality, barely 18 and already 208, gonna likely end up at 215-220

Virtanen's negatives:

1) Bit of a puck hog, needs to learn how to pass more and use his team mates

Plus like all young kids, he doesn't play defense well, but that's not uncommon and can be corrected.

Overall a decent pick, and one I'd take over some of the smurfs out there.

I also think we should stay away from some of the concussion prone choices.

I'm all for it. If the top 5 are gone than I want either Ritchie or Virtanen. Imagine a line, probably our third, with ritchie on the left, and Kassian on the right. Those two could become a serious wrecking ball combo. But Virtanen is just something that we don't have. The biggest flaws to his game are fairly easily fixable with good coaching. Give the kid a month with Torts and he'll have him playing defence and using his teammates. He could be a STAR for this franchise, and plus, him being a hometown guy, we probably have a good chance at him looking to stay for 15-20 years if he develops into a star.

I'd rather the canucks pick an offensive center (1st line potential center) such as Nylander as I am not sold on our prospects down the middle (with the exception of Horvat) being a strong force for us in the future. There is a significant drop between Horvat and Gaunce in terms of potential, and Schroeder doesn't seem to be an ideal top center for us. Although, Virtanen is interesting; there is no doubt he is a special player.

Virtanen eerily reminds me a LOT of an Evander Kane/Iginla type of player. I can see why some would compare him to booth, but I think Booth (before his fatal injury) was more a guy that would mostly drive to the net and use his speed to dangle and score goals. I've seen a lot of Hitmen games this year and Virtanen is always contributing; whether if it's scoring goals, making hits, killing penalties, he's always involved somehow and you really notice it. His most eye-catching attribute above all, is that he has a great, hard shot that basically almost always hits the target. That to me screams a young Iginla. If you have a chance at Iginla, you pick him.

This is not a sound strategy. What if this were a weak draft (it is) specifically thin at the centre ice position and it's biggest depth was at wing? Are you really gonna pass on the BPA if it's a winger simply because we don't have a centre with legit #1 centre potential?

You could miss out on a hell of a winger with that thinking, not to mention the trade value of BPA vs best centre available. You might even draft Rostislav Olesz instead of Blake Wheeler or Andrew Ladd with that rationale.

Honestly it doesn't take a lot of watching to figure out what Ehlers is all about. Flash, dash, and complete avoidance of physical contact.

I don't know about you, but i'm done with watching that kind of embarrassing crap from my teams' players. Pass!

A Canucks amateur scout compared Ehlers to Grabner. Pretty accurate assessment if you ask me, although Grabner's a bit bigger and faster. Oh yeah, the Canucks traded Grabner, and he's gone to be a so-so streaky scoring threat in the east, even alongside Tavares.

fyi. Drouin is 3x better than any of Virtanen's teammates. Nice 'derp, post-concussion Booth' comparison though. Gimme a break.

Thats the kind of hit players are going to get suspended for in the NHL (principal point of contact was the head)

Ehlers can take those kind of hits, and come back and be effective the next shift. He's tough & gritty.

As you can see the next highlight was him scoring a nice goal shorthanded, thats the kind of stuff we don't see enough of, and I would love to see more of it.

Ehlers is alot more dynamic than Grabner, Grabner is a fast scorer, not alot else, but even he isn't bad, 30 goal scorer in the league, Ehlers is as prolific a playmaker as he is a goal scorer, both areas he has over Grabner IMO. He's also more crafty.

He's bigger & better than Ennis overall.

Nyquist is a much better comparison IMO as far as upside. Maybe even more.

And FYI, Drouin isn't a regular linemate of Ehlers. Virtanen's regular linemates both had 80+ points.

Canucks should trade the 6th over-all and actually get a winger for the Sedins...

You always want to draft a cheap young prospect instead of trading for a 28+ years old with 1-2 years left on his contract with a 5mil+ cap hit.

When's the last time you see another team trade away their top 10 pick a few months before the draft? Schneider's trade comes to mind, but that trade was a steal for NJ and fulfills its need for a goaltender though.

with exception of size and skill slight advantage to kassian with maybe a little bit more foot speed since ritchie is considered a fast skater for his size, ritchie is a more complete player when it comes offence, he's a sniper creash crasher , runs the power play fights and he hits non stop, he has far more substance in his game, and a superior play maker to kassian. please don't forget ritchie probably has the best snap shooting and wristing shooting, in this draft .

that said, I wouldn't mind virtannen. moving foward I would much rather have him over the 3 soft european players come playoff time they will produce a little bit more in points, but virtannen will be a huge presence

again i love how cdc'ers claim some kid in the ohl is sooo much better than a guy who's developed over three years and is an emerging power forward in the nhl

you people really are something

1. edler is an allstar - after one great year

2. edler sucks after one bad year

3. Horvat = bergeron - yet he's never played an nhl game

4. Lou rocks

5. Lou sucks

6. Trade schnieder

7. why did we trade schnieder

8. kesler is god

9. trade kesler

10. sedins are amazing

11. sedins suck

12. kassian is a bust

13. kassian is the man

ya know...it takes time for an ohl'er to make an impact in the nhl and even make it. suggesting some kid who didnt even play on team canada is somehow 'better' than kassian - well is just plain

RE TARD ED

moreover you may want to see how many players drafted even in the first round, ever stick in the nhl before you claim a kid who has never played vs men and in the nhl is somehow a better passer than kassian lol

see Kassian does it against pro's and is probably the second best on the NHL team beyond Henrik

lmao

retarded

No-Country-for-Old-Men_Tommy-Lee-Jones_J

He's right actualy....

All that Tommy Lee Jones picture does is make you look like an ass. You and BanTSN will make up any damn myth you very well please if you don't like a certain prospect. That's not how it works in the real world. You have to face the true facts, not believe what you want to believe.

Archived