The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So can we assume A V wasn't the problem?

jerkstore1972

Six pages of people who are completely clueless about what actually goes on in the locker rooms yet feel the need to throw around accusations like their fact. We can't ASSUME anything because none of us knows crap about how either AV or Torts actually coaches.

Having been in several locker rooms in my life, I disagree that I'm "clueless", however, you're correct in that no-one knows exactly what went on in these two particular locker rooms.

In absence of any such specific information, all one can go on is results. In that case, there is absolutely zero contest...

AV has finally figured out how to win in the playoffs. Send one of your scrubs to purposely injure the other teams star goalie.

They were winning before that. And Chris Kreider is a "scrub" only in the minds of those who don't know what they're talking about.

Where the hell was that number one powerplay last year when we were swept by the sharks with AV as the coach? Or when LA beat us in five the year before?

2011 was three years ago. It doesn't apply anymore.

It went out the door when Ehrhoff left and then Salo left. A good power play isn't just consistent of a good strategy but you need personnel too. We changed coaches, then what happened this year? Did it improve? At the end of the day, you can't just blame everything on coaching.

AV is a much better coach than Tortorella.

Yet he still needed to be fired... he was running out of ideas with the Canucks.

The problem was the Canucks management then hired Tortorella, easily the worst choice.

In my opinion we should have picked Lindy Ruff, one of the most underrated coaches in the league, and one who gets the best out of his team, even when that team is lacking in talent.

Maybe we should be asking ourselves if AV was part of the solution as to why the Canucks had back to back presidents cup trophies. ;)

people would just point out that it was because of Sedins and Kesler and Luongo/Schneider while not giving AV any credits. But when we lose, it is obviously the coaches fault for not scoring goals on the power play.

I think we would have made it. I mean, almost everyone on the roster did bad this year including Sedins, Hansen, Burrows, Edler, Garrison etc. The only player that improved was Kassian and he would've probably trended up in the same way if AV was coaching. At least with AV, the playoffs are almost always guaranteed but we just couldn't get it done in the playoffs.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Cory Schneider carried us to the playoffs last year IMO, we couldn't score last year but he was absolutely remarkable.

This year it was the exact same problem, a lack of scoring, our goaltending was fine, but with the injuries we just overall weren't as good.

With AV maybe we would have less injuries, but who knows, might have had more as we had some big injuries last season aswell. I just see the same problem both years, and I don't see why anything would have ended up any different. Like I say, we would have been closer to the playoffs but with our lack of scoring, and without the Schneider like goaltending I don't think we would have been a top 8 team in the West.

Six pages of people who are completely clueless about what actually goes on in the locker rooms yet feel the need to throw around accusations like their fact. We can't ASSUME anything because none of us knows crap about how either AV or Torts actually coaches.

People are sharing opinions. Thats all it is, nothing to make a big deal over.

Good coach is looking good now.

AV kind of had to go. He had nothing new to try I Vancouver without a serious injection of new bodies. He is a great coach and the best in Vans history for my money. I think most of all he had to go because of what he represented.....the 2011SCF defeat. Unfortunately AV and all the core players are burned into everyone's memory as the face of the collapse at the finish line.

Boston couldn't beat us at hockey so they bludgeoned us, taunted us, disrespected us, and somehow managed to make us look like the bad guys. It wasn't hard here in Canada, as everyone outside Vancouver hated the Canucks already. (Blame Ron McLean?), and the media inside Vancouver seemed to want to sabotage everything going for the blue and green. Not to mention the utter destruction of downtown after game 7. Brutally embarrassing.

All this stuff leaves it's mental mark. AV may not have been able to get over 2011, and the fans certainly haven't and AVs face just kept reminding everyone of what might have been. Unfortunately Luongo (gone now), Sedin's, Kesler, Edler, Burrows and others have all shown signs of long term damage between the ears from that series, and who can blame them? The goals, the hits, the taunts, the bites, the non-calls, and the lopsided scores may all be forgotten, but the FEELING, that powerless feeling, surely has left its mark. Like the impotent rage that still burns in every adult male who was bullied by the guys and ignored by the girls all through school. I fear the current core may never erase the scars of the 2011 tragedy.

Yes AV's time was up. Two quick playoff exits and a dwindling offence. During those playoff appearances, the players looked afraid to make the sacrifices required to even sniff at the cup after that emotional disaster.

As long as AV would be here he would represent the crushing defeat at the hands of the Boston Bruins in 2011. It's not fair. But it's true. It may be the same for the rest of the team too.

Yes AV is gone and he had a better date. Our carefree rebound relationship with Torts started out fun, but he abused us, and now we're alone again.

I love the current core. I will always root for the the Canucks. The guys on this team for the past 5-7 years have been awesome. I have never been more into Canucks hockey than with this core, and I have been a fan since 94. The Canucks in 2010-2011 played the most exciting brand of hockey I have ever witnessed. Sadly, the team with its current core will never be as good as it was that year, and it wasn't enough. I think most people who look at things objectively can agree on that.

Looks like AV will go to SCF again.

Yeah Torts built a tough playoff ready team, that AV inherited, I hope they win the Stanley, AV deserves it, a little sorry for Torts but he shouldn't have tried to make a playoff team out of us in just one year, it takes time, and you gotta expect some blowback.

I believe Linden must have a deal done with Benning, that will be awesome and I think Benning will pick a great coach.

Go Canucks :towel:

AV seems to have awoken and reinvigorated the Rangers and it has helped immensely to have inherited a goalie like Lundqvist. I don't think we can count the Habs out yet but I fear for them with such an inexperienced net minder.

Uhh, they're done.

The Habs are just Priceless.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly if we were in the East we would be making the SCF almost every year too. AV is great against teams like the habs and the flyers but if he would have gone up against the sharks, ducks, hawks etc he would be gone. The east only has Boston that can match up to a western team.

Archived