The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Noone waives NTC

So there are a lot of threads proposing trades of players with NTCs.

If nobody will leave, what can be done to this team? Anything.

Also looks like Booth is staying, since they risked injury by playing him, even after we were eliminated, which is nonsensical if their plan was to buy him out.

So what realistic changes could even be made.

The players with NTCs and Booth eat up $49 million. (10 players)

The roster players with contracts next year, 6 million. (Hansen, Richardson, Sestito, Matthias.

Goalies about $3 with Luongo's retained salary.

Leaves $12, with Kassian, Jensen, Schroeder, Santorelli, Tanev, Weber, Corrado, Stanton. All needed to be addressed.

With the raises for the Sedins and Hansen. With Kassian, Tanev, and probably even Schroder and Santorelli getting raises next season. We will hard pressed to fit the existing team under a 70-71 cap.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m)
Michael Zalewski ($0.925m) / Jordan Schroeder ($0.800m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Mike Santorelli ($1.500m) / Zack Kassian ($1.800m)
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Frank Corrado ($0.591m) / Ryan Stanton ($0.550m)
Chris Tanev ($3.000m) / Yannick Weber ($0.900m)
GOALTENDERS
Jacob Markstrom ($1.200m)
Eddie Lack ($1.150m)
BUYOUTS
Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
RETAINED SALARIES (1.13% of upper limit)
Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,179,444; BONUSES: $8,333
CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $1,920,556

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER

CapGeek Armchair GM Roster

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m)

Michael Zalewski ($0.925m) / Jordan Schroeder ($0.800m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Mike Santorelli ($1.500m) / Zack Kassian ($1.800m)

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Frank Corrado ($0.591m) / Ryan Stanton ($0.550m)

Chris Tanev ($3.000m) / Yannick Weber ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS

Jacob Markstrom ($1.200m)

Eddie Lack ($1.150m)

BUYOUTS

Keith Ballard ($0.000m)

RETAINED SALARIES (1.13% of upper limit)

Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(estimations for 2014-15)

SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,179,444; BONUSES: $8,333

CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $1,920,556

Looks like the same underachieving crew from 2013-14.

If certain players (i.e., Burrows, Kesler, Edler and Hansen) refuse to waive, play the sit in the press box card/compliance buy-out/regular buy-out card. Given the performance of some of the players this past season, cap space is far greater a commodity than having the player as an asset.

We'll be pretty close to spot on the cap, yes correct. Raises already signed for the Twins and Hansen, or expected for Kassian, Tanev, Santorelli (or his replacement), eat up probably $7 mill? Then we have replacements for Schroeder, Dalpe and Alberts with Weber up in the air. Lets call that Corrado, Shinkaruk and Horvat in (speculating), we'll still re-up Weber or replace him. Now we have another $1 mill so $8 mill just on our guys???

It does suggest at least one more decent trade is coming!

Guys like Kassian and Tanev are restricted. And played well, particularly Tanev, but don't have a body of work compelling enough to warrant a major contract. Bridge contracts with them would do us well. Booth and Mathias are near $8 mill and can come off the books at the end of next year when young guns should be pressing them out anyway?

Therefore 2015/16 is the real year we have cap flexibility.

Back to this year, Booth also played well enough the last part of the year he deserves to stay anyway IMO. Or good enough he could be traded versus bought out possibly...

And its all not dire straights, doom and gloom!

Bring back Santorelli, keep Kassian and Booth at their improved play levels, Lack matures to steady himself (which I expect) and we're a play off team. With any puck luck on injuries anyway, but considering it was bad improvement is a fair projection. And I expect some rebound from some of Burrows, the Twins, Bieksa, Garrison, Hamhuis and Edler and with a new coach. We're no worse than a 1st round play off team status quo IMO.

Then there is any boost we get from young players who progress and give us a lift. Kassian, Horvat, Jensen,Tanev and Corrado all will add something to this team, again in my opinion. Fox, Shinkaruk and Hutton (long shot) are all a chance. And I expect to see some of Grenier, Archibald, more of Lain or Zalewski. I expect some talent to start to emerge.

Danny Hank Jensen

Horvat Kesler Kassian

Higgins Mathias Burrows

Richardson Santorelli Hansen

Sestito, Booth

Those look like battle competitive 2knd and 3rd lines, each with size, speed and defensive feist! The 2knd line is huge. I would not want to face the 4th either! They could fore check you to death. I like swapping Hank and Kesler, splitting the Twins, even more. Hank will get something out of Kassian and Horvat!

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Tanev

Garrison Corrado

Stanton

I'm less at ease on D. I argued when we signed him, that in spite of being good, that we needed to reserve Garrison's salary for a guy with puck skills and speed. Then argued we should let Edler walk, or trade him for the same reason. I hate being right some times! I still think a trade for a puck mover is by far the most influential need we have! The difference between being a 1st round team, and one capable of building into a contender.

But it's still a good D core, a better D core than we showed this year. Let the guys play a mobile, versus collapsing game. We do have speed and defensive savvy. Collapsing to block shots is more a game for teams who have big lunkers that can keep everyone else out of the middle. Get out and chase the puck, rotate, use our speed (on forward and defense), create pressure, and take away the puck!

There is enough talent between Lack, Eriksson and Markstrom that I am happy to go young in goal, save cap for elsewhere. We may have a dilemma as to who will back up Lack. Markstrom, according to reports, needed work on his form. But has blistering size, speed and athleticism. But he cannot be buried in the minors. Niemi, Roy and Dryden all won a cup in their rookie year!

And what if Michael Dal Colle makes the squad???

Archived