The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How good can Jordan Subban be?

Del Rio

5 foot 9 as of Nov at the latest and 177-181 pounds between 4 different sites. He very well could be taller and heavier now without question.

As for the next 2-3 years before he even steps foot on the ice 2 inches of growth like Malcolm and PK did pre NHL is not out of the question and should be almost expected. he will enter the league at 5 foot 11 inches is my guess and with his skill set on the blue line that is perfectly fine, especially if our division keeps getting bigger and slower like it has been trending towards

Thanks, he definitely has the gene's for it.

It will be exciting to see how he pans out that's for sure.

it really doesn't stop at boston, but you have chicago with saad, shaw, leddy, and to a lesser extent, kruger. sometimes you have to throw the young guys out there to either sink or swim. for those team, for the most part, their young guys are staying afloat and contributing. i think sometimes this team coddles our young guys too much, like they have no confidence in them, while these other teams uses their younger guys because they have confidence in them, or it's a complete crap shoot to see how they perform, and it also comes down to coaching, but this team has enough vets to show the new generation of how the league is and how tough it is, and they can adapt-- like jensen towards the end. he showed us that, if given a full season could be a 15-20goal scorer as a rookie

Ya I agree, you obviously have to wait for the young guys to get to a stage where they can play in the league but once they reach that stage they need some opportunity, the younger guys we have now like Corrado, Jensen, Schroeder & Kassian that have played for us last year I would all like see get more of a prominent role for a bit to see what they can do.

Thanks, he definitely has the gene's for it.

It will be exciting to see how he pans out that's for sure.

He's got a broader frame and guys like him don't fill out to their full size until a couple years later than the taller, leaner guys in their draft class.

While height is great for protecting the puck, that can be more than made up for by having his level of skating ability (which is both quick and shifty due to shorter strides) and his hands which are exceptional. He's got vision to boot and while he'll slowly fill in over the next few years, don't be surprised if he's over 210 at 22 or 23 years old. And if he is, he'll be a human wrecking ball with a low centre of gravity. Good luck out-muscling him in board battles then.

I think size is clearly not an issue as people think. Jordan clearly covers that with great skating and offensive ability. We need a puck moving, offensive defenceman and he can be that guy in the future.

Brian Rafalski made a great career at being this puck moving offensive player. Being mobile and having great skating ability, can go a long way at helping your defensive game too. I for one can't wait to get Subban in our lineup, and I believe he could be a very good player.

Here's to hoping he'll be played in a few preseason games so we can actually answer that question with more accuracy... I am cheering for this guy to be good...

I think we are all cheering for all our prospects to be good.

I think Jordan needs to grow a little bit. You don't want to be an undersized d-man or your partner needs to work extra hard when you get knocked off the puck or something.

I do believe size matters on a defencemen more so then a forward. He's young though, maybe he can grow another inch. Hopefully.

This kid will definitely be a productive member of this team. Based on his scoring ability, affiliation with PK, and athleticism I can easily see him becoming a similar player to PK. If he has the drive that PK currently possesses and he continues to grow and develop I see him as a future Norris candidate. With that being said, a lot can go wrong from now until then so I guess we'll just have to wait and see if he develops properly and continues climbing up the ranks.

This kid will definitely be a productive member of this team. Based on his scoring ability, affiliation with PK, and athleticism I can easily see him becoming a similar player to PK. If he has the drive that PK currently possesses and he continues to grow and develop I see him as a future Norris candidate. With that being said, a lot can go wrong from now until then so I guess we'll just have to wait and see if he develops properly and continues climbing up the ranks.

Nice breakdown.

Jordan could be a modern day Phil Housley offensively and with a 200+ pound frame more than adequate defensively. There's a reason he went in the 4th round though....Hes a project.

I think he will be a serviceable player. His ceiling will be dictated by his ability to process the game.

If he learns to play a smart physical brand of Defensive hockey he will be successful.

It's all about how well he can play D though. His Offensive instincts will get him into the NHL, but he can be a solid contributor if he figures out how to play good D as an undersized guy, who is probably stronger and faster than his opponents.

put him at center :)

Nice breakdown.

Jordan could be a modern day Phil Housley offensively and with a 200+ pound frame more than adequate defensively. There's a reason he went in the 4th round though....Hes a project.

I think he will be a serviceable player. His ceiling will be dictated by his ability to process the game.

i really hate the jargony 'serviceable' player comment....what is he servicing? a car? is he a hooker?

did you give that comment 110%? can't give more than 100%

did you leave it all on the ice? leave what on the ice? your jock? your contact lens?

are you looking to make a hockey trade? if its made in hockey, its a hockey trade

will he fit in, in the 'new' nhl? new nhl? is it still new? 5 years later is still new? when is it old?

so annoying sorry just is

I think we are all cheering for all our prospects to be good.

I think Jordan needs to grow a little bit. You don't want to be an undersized d-man or your partner needs to work extra hard when you get knocked off the puck or something.

I do believe size matters on a defencemen more so then a forward. He's young though, maybe he can grow another inch. Hopefully.

I just think its funny that his height comes up so much when there are a few defenceman that have been great at his height with the same or a lesser skill set.. The kids got a work ethic too..and it seems some hockey smarts as well..and lots of time to bulk up, since hes only 19...

There's no reason if he keeps that same attitude and work ethic that he won't make the NHL... Including his height... The downside is obvious, the upside is too oft overlooked, or just completely written off.

i really hate the jargony 'serviceable' player comment....what is he servicing? a car? is he a hooker?did you give that comment 110%? can't give more than 100%did you leave it all on the ice? leave what on the ice? your jock? your contact lens?are you looking to make a hockey trade? if its made in hockey, its a hockey tradewill he fit in, in the 'new' nhl? new nhl? is it still new? 5 years later is still new? when is it old?so annoying sorry just is

I liked stings comment, especially the comparason, or analogy to Phil Housley... Yours, well you're just hating on synonyms now aren't you...don't be a syntax hater

I think to be utilized correctly he'll have to play with a big stay at home guy...

If things go well for Subban then I think a Subban-Tanev pair would be pretty sick. Imagine if we could lure PK here.

Hamhuis - Subban

Subban - Tanev

Corrado - Bieksa

Archived