The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nashville hires Peter Laviolette as head coach

NO TO TROTZ!!! You don't recall #16 talking about returning the Canucks to an exciting brand of hockey last week?

But, if you're thinking the Canucks "need a defensive first coach" (didn't Trev just fire one of those last week?), Barry Trotz doesn't come to mind for me as much as John Stevens does. Specifically, a John Stevens/Terry Murray combination, which wouldn't be too far out of the realm of possibility of Stevens is back in the mix to coach this club. Remember, it was Murray's attention to detail at the defensive aspect of the game that made the Kings, in the opinion of many, the best defensive club in the NHL today. He and Stevens are close friends (Murray added Stevens to his staff in L.A. after John was sacked in Philly and succeeded by Laviolette), so, I wouldn't be surprised to see him added to the staff if we're indeed going to be beginning the John Stevens era this summer.

You don't understand hockey, watch golf. Trotz isn't a defensive coach.

You don't understand hockey, watch golf. Trotz isn't a defensive coach.

You can't read. It wasn't me who suggested "a defensive coach" in the form of Barry Trotz. I was responding to the person who did. Perhaps a course in Reading Comprehension is in your immediate future, no?

I suspect Laviolette will last one year like Torts did here.

Not a good fit there.

Doubt it. Torts was expected to make the playoffs. He missed them, destroyed a relationship with a star player, got himself suspended and mocked by the league, and did this all in a major market.

The Predators were a poor team this year and even sold at the deadline. They aren't going to be as demanding for a good season and even if they fail the fan base pressure won't be extreme and Torts is batting 1.000 with player controversy per team where as Lavi only had the dry island issue.

Different scenarios really. I imagine he will get a few years to show some improvement.

Scott Niedermayer for Canucks head coach?

He's been an assistant to the GM in Anaheim and currently an assistant coach.

If anyone can straighten out Edler, he can.

by that logic, why didn't gretzky turn any phoenix players into 200 point guys?

Archived