The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Torts wanted to buy out Alex Burrows

hockeyville88

I think people are over-reacting. He probably likes Burrows, I remember he even said something like, "every team needs a player of his personality" earlier in the year. I think it's more a cap decision. If he had to pick between Booth or Burrows, Booth would be the player to keep based on based on last season and the amount of years remaining on his contract.

Torts didn't really seem to ever get what this team was about. Coming in he had no idea about who anyone was. The "I'm excited about this Edler guy" comment said it all. How do you not know who an All Star defenseman is? Was he not watching the 2011 Stanley cup playoffs? I want a coach who will at least tune in to watch every playoff game, especially after his team has been eliminated. Torts clearly isn't a fan of the game on the whole. Hopefully our next coach has seen what our guys can do and has a few ideas on how to make them even better.

That was the moment I went "....wha?"

The guy had been hired for weeks and didn't seem to know a thing about Edler,

I found that very strange indeed

Hmmm... My favourite player, or Torts.

GTFO Torts.

just watching that gives me chills. one of the best canucks moments of my life. at the same time it makes me sick to my stomach of what the canucks are now. luongo, schneider, erhoff, torres, lappy are all gone.....

Yeah I heard this while driving today. Almost had to pull over as it got me all riled up.

Amongst other things this year, Torts:
  • Started working on Gillis to move Weise right from the beginning of the year.
  • In spite of his public comments, he tried to convince management AND ownership to buy out Burrows to get rid of him.
  • That the players believed they didn’t practice enough or that Torts didn’t take practice seriously, especially the practicing of special teams.
  • He began an early morning team meeting by blasting Booth with F-bombs for being late for the meeting. To which Booth, and confirmed by his teammates, said he was actually there 5 minutes early. Torts continued to lay into him for another 5 minutes.
  • Torts, and by extension his assistants, never watched film of the opposition they were facing.
  • That Torts did not have a single conversation with Travis Green, Utica Head Coach, all season long. Not one.

What I still can't fathom is why wouldn't some of Torts' philosophies regarding practice, film work, etc be scoped out in the interview process.

Would management not talk to previous teams and players who played for him about this stuff?

well burrows is not worth his current contract, but buying him out is extreme

He also has a track record of 4 straight 25+ goal seasons, and has scored more goals in his previous 5 seasons than anyone on the team outside Daniel.

It's not like he didn't have a reason for his poor season. He never recovered from his foot injury. It happens.

Booth on the other hand has shown nothing to think that he's gonna earn his 4 million dollars next season. He'll get the buyout.

Right, now that Torts is gone this club will experience a sudden renaissance and return to being competitive. NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

Guarantee it. The problem wasn't/isn't Torts. Burr's a great player, at a couple mill, max. 4, 4.5? No.

When you put up 15 points over the season and make 4.5, I'm sorry, you're a bust of a signing. Will Burr find his touch again? I'm not shocked Torts wanted him out - he very nearly set a record for the most number of shots without a goal, ever.

That's why we brought Torts in, right? To take an objective look at the time without the prejudice of prior performance? There were three anchors of contracts this year, and all three were the first line. That's why the Canucks missed the playoffs. Will Burr turn it around? Unlikely. I'd like to see the core dealt. I don't mind keeping Burr on the second line, where he belongs with Kesler. With the Twins? No. Twins have to go.

well burrows is not worth his current contract, but buying him out is extreme

The guy was the best value in hockey for 4 years making "only" $2 million per when he was producing at a level where he easily should have earned at least double that. Not to mentioned being a heart and soul guy on the team.

So I don't begrudge him earning what he's making now. He's earned every penny.

Yeah I heard this while driving today. Almost had to pull over as it got me all riled up.

Amongst other things this year, Torts:
  • Started working on Gillis to move Weise right from the beginning of the year.
  • In spite of his public comments, he tried to convince management AND ownership to buy out Burrows to get rid of him.
  • That the players believed they didn’t practice enough or that Torts didn’t take practice seriously, especially the practicing of special teams.
  • He began an early morning team meeting by blasting Booth with F-bombs for being late for the meeting. To which Booth, and confirmed by his teammates, said he was actually there 5 minutes early. Torts continued to lay into him for another 5 minutes.
  • Torts, and by extension his assistants, never watched film of the opposition they were facing.
  • That Torts did not have a single conversation with Travis Green, Utica Head Coach, all season long. Not one.

What I still can't fathom is why wouldn't some of Torts' philosophies regarding practice, film work, etc be scoped out in the interview process.

Would management not talk to previous teams and players who played for him about this stuff?

Not that I wanna defend Torts, but I'm pretty sure that the team has a video guy (Williams) that breaks down video with the players.

The rest is all things that I was worried about when he came in.

The fact that he said that he's not an "x's and o's coach" right off the bat raised red flags for me. You can't just coach a philosophy, and not focus on the small details. Because other teams coaches are focusing on the small details, and they'll gain an advantage on you if you're not paying attention.

And not properly practicing the powerplay when you have the worst powerplay in the league is beyond ridiculous.

I can't wait to get a systems coach back with this team and have them start playing smart structured hockey again. Whether it be a Trotz/Crawford combo or whoever, it will be an upgrade over Torts.

to be fair burrows didn't do much... he was not worth the money THIS year. I wouldn't mind the canucks trading him

he was also coming back from a serious injury....if he can't get his game back this coming season then fine....trade him

i'll give him the benefit of the doubt....and another chance....

torts also didn't want weise on his team.....our 3rd and 4th lines aren't the problem here.....

"Don't begrudge the man".

Which is why Gillis, the man who signed him to that contract is gone? If we're not holding Burr responsible, why is Gillis being held responsible?

Because Burrows has done enough over the last 6 seasons to think that this season was just an anomaly.

Gillis on the other hand didn't have much success outside two seasons.

Right, now that Torts is gone this club will experience a sudden renaissance and return to being competitive. NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

Guarantee it. The problem wasn't/isn't Torts. Burr's a great player, at a couple mill, max. 4, 4.5? No.

When you put up 15 points over the season and make 4.5, I'm sorry, you're a bust of a signing. Will Burr find his touch again? I'm not shocked Torts wanted him out - he very nearly set a record for the most number of shots without a goal, ever.

That's why we brought Torts in, right? To take an objective look at the time without the prejudice of prior performance? There were three anchors of contracts this year, and all three were the first line. That's why the Canucks missed the playoffs. Will Burr turn it around? Unlikely. I'd like to see the core dealt. I don't mind keeping Burr on the second line, where he belongs with Kesler. With the Twins? No. Twins have to go.

Maybe you should check our Burr at the WC he is back doing what he does best, getting in the greasy areas, drawing penaltys, pking like a mofo. He will make guys like you eat his jock next year.

Archived