The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Likes the core ?

snucks

Q&A with Trevor Linden & Jim Benning (May 23, 2014)

Views on the scouts and we need a "type" of player to make a Canuck player. He likes our young prospects.

No doubt he drafts Richie if he is available!

Both him and Trev walked on the logo in the locker room at the end :o big no no..... lol

The core is not the problem.

Lack of depth was notably absent from a failure to properly analyze and obtain quality players to supplement the core.

'Lack' of depth... Couldn't have said it better myself! The depth we lack is not only in our forward squad, but even more-so in net!

Long live Luongo.

I too like the core.

The problems as I see them have been firstly, the core has never been properly augmented in any significant sense and secondly there has been too much reliance on the core, to their detriment. We have been too easy to get a bead on. "Bang Kessler, hammer the twins, wind up Burrows and we are half way there."

JB said he wanted to operate 4 lines in a way that had an effect on the opposition, that we had to get bigger. To me he is saying what was obvious in our cup run in 2011 and should have been immediately addressed; and that is we need to have more of a physical draining effect on the opposition.

We tried against Boston but we were already banged up by previous games where we were up against bigger teams.

I can understand why the big teams in the West like to play us, especially in the playoffs, it's because they can dominate us in a physical sense, with impunity.

It will be interesting on that basis who Benning thinks should leave. I would think Higgins, Hansen, Burrows, Santo (won't be kept) Richardson, Booth, Dalpe, Schroeder, Weber, Stanton may all be up for consideration.

Add Stastny and maybe Pitkanen and along with Jensen, Kassian, Horvat, Gaunce, Lain, Sestito, Matthias, Kesler with maybe Nick Ritchie or Michael Dal Colle this team would have serious size and physicality

Personally, I would also try to move Garrison with maybe Schroeder and/or Richardson/Tanev to Florida for their No 1 draft pick and select Ekblad.

To the question, I do like what the Sedins bring as far as community, good people. I don't like their style of play, never have.

With Kes, it is on again, off again. Love the player he was in the Preds series, like his cocky attitude, hate the diving and embellishment. Again with Burr, hated the embellishment, but the kid works hard all the time. Bieksa is my favorite and probably the only one I like all around. His work with mind check, his swagger, toughness and edge along with a good sense of humor, very well balanced. I can see why Rypien (RIP) would be drawn to him when he was fighting his inner demons. Hamhuis and Garrison, fall under the same umbrella for me, just meh. I want to like Edler, as I have seen some real nice play from the guy, sneaky mean streak, but again, meh.

As I have said above, Bieksa is really the only guy that I truly like all around. He is the only player I would want to see as a lifer with this team, but if Benning has to move him for the good of making the team better, so be it.

It is rumored the new GM likes the core. We will see. If so I don't like the sound of that, but they have to keep the core because they all have "no trades". It therefore will take years before the core retires. Who knows, the new GM can't say much at this point. He is reported to be a good hockey man, but the core is the problem. What is needed is young guys WITHOUT "no trades clauses".

Haven't been here much/read the thread (switching jobs atm), but I'll go directly to the original post and then read how others feels....

You've determined that "the core's the problem" and stated it as fact...not sure you're qualified to make that assessment (as I'm not). It isn't that simple. Injuries, the way they were being used, etc. factor in and I'd like to see some support put into place but generally like our core. Just 3 short years ago not many were saying this, that's for sure. It's generating momentum as people glom onto this or that. Fire AV (ok, he clearly is having success and wasn't the big failure many stated he was). Get rid of Lu. MG - check. People want to have catch phrase solutions in a very complex game. "Just add _____" like we're blending up a smoothie. Not sure you can just plug in A or B and, voila, winners. They're taking steps as they identify changes that may/may not help. But the core wasn't given a fair shake last year under Torts....the style of play took casualties. And you need pieces to fill those gaps and deficiencies that we face at times. That's where the problem lies - not in the core group of guys who've proven they are capable of being on top. It's when they go down to injury/illness that we really start to struggle.

Are they getting older and slowing down? Absolutely. But I want to see a year where they're healthy, ready to go and not being played into the ground. We started off on a positive note but injury and fatigue starting taking a toll. Remember, this team already faces a grueling schedule in the toughest division. It isn't just a given that teams can prevail in that environment or that players will automatically slide into that with ease. Sure the team needs some tweaking, but I'm not convinced all the armchair GM's and gamers understand that it isn't a given to improve...that you could get worse instead of better.

How quickly people forget that this very same core was considered one of the best in the league a very short time ago...they got suckered into being pulled off their game and lost as a result. Live and learn...they gathered valuable experience in that. They also can beat some of the teams they'd need to and have. Nobody wins all the games. Sure, we need to beef up a little bit, have a little grit and be rough around the edges at times but dropping core players could backfire and not be the magic remedy some are seeking.

You need core players and veterans to help transition younger players into their roles over time...people here talk like you plug in instant superstars and upgrade as you would simply buy a new phone or computer. Over time, the team has to start looking to younger players to come up through the ranks through solid drafting and gradually assume positions on the team. But it's a crapshoot at best. I keep going back to Edmonton as an example of how the big name young players don't automatically translate into a winning formula. So they grab a new coach that everyone here was screaming for. More of the same. So perhaps we don't have the answers and it's not just do A or B. That you have to work through some kinks.

There simply is no easy recipe for success in this league. And you can't fairly evaluate our core based on last year's fiasco.

You've determined that "the core's the problem" and stated it as fact...not sure you're qualified to make that assessment (as I'm not). It isn't that simple. Injuries, the way they were being used, etc. factor in and I'd like to see some support put into place but generally like our core. Just 3 short years ago not many were saying this, that's for sure. It's generating momentum as people glom onto this or that. Fire AV (ok, he clearly is having success and wasn't the big failure many stated he was). Get rid of Lu. MG - check. People want to have catch phrase solution in a very complex game. Not sure you can just plug in A or B and, voila, winners. They're taking steps as they identify changes that may/may not help. But the core wasn't give a fair shake last year under Torts....the style of play took casualties. And you need pieces to fill those gaps that we're deficient in at times. That's where the problem lies - not in the core group of guys who've proven they are capable of being on top.

Are they getting older and slowing down? Absolutely. But I want to see a year where they're healthy, ready to go and not being played into the ground. We started off on a positive note but injury and fatigue starting taking a toll. Remember, this team already faces a grueling schedule in the toughest division. It isn't just a given that teams can prevail in that environment or that players will automatically slide into that with ease. Sure the team needs some tweaking, but I'm not convinced all the armchair GM's and gamers understand that it isn't a given to improve...that you could get worse instead of better.

How quickly people forget that this very same core was considered one of the best in the league...they got suckered into being pulled off their game and lost. Live and learn...they gathered valuable experience in that. You need core players and veterans to help transition younger players into their roles over time...people here talk like you plug in instant superstars and upgrade as you would simply buy a new phone or computer. Over time, the team has to start looking to younger players to come up through the ranks through solid drafting and gradually assume positions on the team. But it's a crapshoot at best. I keep going back to Edmonton as an example of how the big name young players don't automatically translate into a winning formula. So they grab a new coach that everyone here was screaming for. More of the same. So perhaps we don't have the answers and it's not just do A or B. That you have to work through some kinks.

There simply is no easy recipe for success in this league. And you can't fairly evaluate our core based on last year's fiasco.

Deb, I agree 100 % with this statement. Well said. And once you find the recipe you stick with it, as Chicago and LA have.

"The core wasn't given a fair shake"

Really? Were they benched? Were they productive in the games that they did play? Daniel should have been benched at many points during the season and if it were anyone else he would have.

Here's what I see. We've changed the coach. We've changed the GM. We've changed both goalies. Now we're hearing that it 'must be the defense', or 'must be the depth'.

When do you believe that the Sedins should be held responsible, Deb? Another season? Two? 4 months?

"Lack of depth is the problem."

120 points combined from the 'first line' is the problem, not depth.

Without Burr there was no RW and then Hank was injured.

No first line center or RW. That was a problem.

Here's what I see. We've changed the coach. We've changed the GM. We've changed both goalies. Now we're hearing that it 'must be the defense', or 'must be the depth'.

GM lost both goalies.

GM lost the offensive d men.

GM had no first line wing man.

GM had no NHL ready depth on the farm to replace injured players.

GM without personell to step into first and second line roles.

The core were not adequately supported/supplemented.

GM gone.

I agree the core is the problem. What's the common dominator of the last 3 years of the decline? We've made changes to everything but the core itself. And don't start rambling about injuries because over the course of an 82 game season it evens out as every other team in the NHL faces injuries as well. It's all relative. And besides we weren't even the most injured team during the season so I think we can safely put that excuse to bed. Please, it's really getting annoying and is nothing but a cop out

"The core wasn't given a fair shake"

Really? Were they benched? Were they productive in the games that they did play? Daniel should have been benched at many points during the season and if it were anyone else he would have.

When do you believe that the Sedins should be held responsible, Deb? Another season? Two? 4 months?

They were still recovering from injury and being played into the ground. Blocking shots. I'm convinced Daniel is still experiencing some residue from the concussion that is now showing in some delayed reaction. No, I'm not a doctor but I've watched him play from day one and he is "off". So I'm allowing for some recovery from not only the system they were thrust into but also to see them fully healthy again. Burr? Are you aware of what he went through this year? So yeah, it was off. It was a mulligan year as Torts' way clearly didn't work. That much we know.

We changed the coach and he had us play a style that saw our top/leading scorers used in roles that they likely shouldn't have been. How'd that work out?

Some of our solid up and comers. Where's Tanev at?

I bet you also called the Sedins sisters until they started showing their stuff. It's easy for people to jump on/off player's bandwagons but they will struggle at times. Crosby. Hello? So is he washed up now? Should they dump him for his current lack of success? You look at an overall assessment, not just what have you done for me lately. While injured. Or coming back from injury.

I don't think they'll be at the level they were at ever again but I also don't think that we're seeing them at 100% and rested/ready to go. We saw them beat up, worn out and being relied on too heavily at times. In a number of different roles. I think Torts' way failed miserably and that is now clear.

The GM is newly departed. Don't factor it in like we've seen the effect in that - we haven't. Coach is gone, GM's gone....let's see what happens before we look for the next scapegoat. As I've stated, they're working out kinks. You try different things in determining where the problems lie. And I'm willing to see what develops WITH some of the changes in place before I decide.

Unless we know what he means by the "core" this statement is meaningless.

This is the most important thing. No one asked who he saw as the core...

I like the core too. Think some people in the core should get traded though!

I agree the core is the problem. What's the common dominator of the last 3 years of the decline? We've made changes to everything but the core itself. And don't start rambling about injuries because over the course of an 82 game season it evens out as every other team in the NHL faces injuries as well. It's all relative. And besides we weren't even the most injured team during the season so I think we can safely put that excuse to bed. Please, it's really getting annoying and is nothing but a cop out

They clearly stated (MG did) what they suspected went wrong....they changed the way they played in reaction to playing Boston. They were chasing rather than sticking with what was fairly tried and true.

Detroit played them (Bruins) the same - adapted to their game rather than playing their own game, like Montreal did. The Habs had success in that - in not engaging or being pulled off course by Boston's antics. Look what happened to Marchand in that - he all but shriveled up.

As I said, live and learn. It's taken time to identify the whats and whys. I want to see this core another year, with the right support staff in place and being utilized as they should be. Not as multi purpose shot blocking machines. We have a goaltender to block shots.

Speaking of which, we lost our starter and threw in our back up. There were so many things that may/may not have led to what we saw. Let's see the impact a new GM/coach have. Or at least that's what I'm allowing for. I certainly don't have the answers and that's mostly my point. I don't think you do either?

The question is, what is " The Core"

I personally see the core as:

The Sedins

Kesler

Hamhuis

Bieksa

2nd core if such a thing:

Hansen

Burrows

Edler

I like the primary core and agree it can be built around, the secondary core players all woefully underperformed this year, and are in danger of being moved.

Archived