The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver and New York Islanders

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

lol Treliving is not taking Ritchie if Bennett is still around. He is exactly our guy, skilled and hardworking. Also pears slotting Cassels ahead of Strome if by some miracle that you do get him? Hahaha another sig worthy post

This is also probably before they signed Halak, but they have Griffin who is just as good if not will be better than Tanev. So to give up Strome and AND the fifth overall they are only getting back someone they've already passed once in Shinkaruk? Yeaaaaaaah okay

lol Treliving is not taking Ritchie if Bennett is still around. He is exactly our guy, skilled and hardworking. Also pears slotting Cassels ahead of Strome if by some miracle that you do get him? Hahaha another sig worthy post

This is also probably before they signed Halak, but they have Griffin who is just as good if not will be better than Tanev. So to give up Strome and AND the fifth overall they are only getting back someone they've already passed once in Shinkaruk? Yeaaaaaaah okay

Well, the rumour today was Virtanen is gaining steam with Calgary's pick. But that's the media talking so who knows.

Sure, Reinhart will be better than Tanev overall assuming he doesn't run into any development issues, but again, considering he's a left handed D amidst all their other left handed D, and Tanev is a right handed D when their only other right handed D on the roster is Hamonic... They aren't exactly competing for the same spot - nor filling the same need.

Well, the rumour today was Virtanen is gaining steam with Calgary's pick. But that's the media talking so who knows.

Sure, Reinhart will be better than Tanev overall assuming he doesn't run into any development issues, but again, considering he's a left handed D amidst all their other left handed D, and Tanev is a right handed D when their only other right handed D on the roster is Hamonic. They aren't exactly competing for the same spot - nor filling the same need.

Virtanen did have a good interview with the Flames but if either of the Sam's or Ekblad drops one of them will be our guy.

Handedness doesn't matter. Chicago does pretty well with all lefties, plus they have a booming RH shot in Pulock also waiting for his chance. Edler is not needed contrary to popular belief.

To NYI:

Markstrom

Tanev

Shinkaruk

2014 2nd

To Van:

Strome

2014 1st

I don't think Islanders would do this trade... Strome and their 2014 1st overall pick SHOULD be better than any of the canuck players offered in the proposal. Islanders don't even have a 1st round pick next year so Id doubt they want to have 2 straight years of no number 1 pick. Strome >> Shinkaruk, 1st round pick >>> Tanev and 2nd, Markstrom's just an unproven backup goalie to them.. as they have Halak for 4 years. Shinkaruk and Tanev are good but Strome and whoever gets drafted at 5th has a bigger ceiling for being a top tier player.

To NYI:

Markstrom

Tanev

Shinkaruk

2014 2nd

To Van:

Strome

2014 1st

I don't think Islanders would do this trade... Strome and their 2014 1st overall pick SHOULD be better than any of the canuck players offered in the proposal. Islanders don't even have a 1st round pick next year so Id doubt they want to have 2 straight years of no number 1 pick. Strome >> Shinkaruk, 1st round pick >>> Tanev and 2nd, Markstrom's just an unproven backup goalie to them.. as they have Halak for 4 years. Shinkaruk and Tanev are good but Strome and whoever gets drafted at 5th has a bigger ceiling for being a top tier player.

Precisely. They need more vets. Take one of their young, excellentD, instead of the 2014 pick. The optics for Snow are disastrous.(2 yrs, no 1st rounder).

Virtanen did have a good interview with the Flames but if either of the Sam's or Ekblad drops one of them will be our guy.

Handedness doesn't matter. Chicago does pretty well with all lefties, plus they have a booming RH shot in Pulock also waiting for his chance. Edler is not needed contrary to popular belief.

Maybe on the first point, but who is drafted in what order is hardly the biggest concern I have. Maybe Nylander goes top 5, or maybe we get the 5th of the top 5 and then Nylander at 6th. There are plenty of options and either way we get two pretty good prospects.

Handedness does matter. Most teams aim to have a better balance of left and right handed D, even if it's not exactly even. Less right handed D-men available makes that impossible that every team would have perfect balance and still have quality players, but then that puts right handed D at a premium if a team lacks a left handed D that can cover the off side.

But you're missing the point. Strome is great, and they could get a nice prospect, sure, but will that fill the holes they have? They have lots of centers, plenty of prospects, and a team that wants to start winning. How would they go about that while also keeping costs down and still fill other areas where they aren't as deep?

Precisely. They need more vets. Take one of their young, excellentD, instead of the 2014 pick. The optics for Snow are disastrous.(2 yrs, no 1st rounder).

I'm not that worried about the optics for Snow, and after the Vanek trade(s), I'm not so sure he is either.

But you're missing the point. Strome is great, and they could get a nice prospect, sure, but will that fill the holes they have? They have lots of centers, plenty of prospects, and a team that wants to start winning. How would they go about that while also keeping costs down and still fill other areas where they aren't as deep?

This is why I would think more veteran guys going back.

Edler/Garrison. I would assume they would want Edler

Erriksson they are lacking Goalie prospects now,

2nd 2014 early second round.

I would give up another piece if need be, prefer to keep Markstrom but would put him into the deal is need be.

For

5th overall Futures

Strome top6 center for future for canucks, NYI have other Centers

This help canucks 2-5 years down the road.

Couple this with a Kesler trade and canucks could be set for the future.

If that was the trade we did, I would expect us to take Dal Colle and Nylander, I feel Bennett slipping to 5 is now a longshot even with his pull up failures, scouts just sound so high on him.

I would hate to lose Tanev and Shinkaruk, dont care about markstrom

The only way I see this trade go down is if Tanev wants more money then we can afford, and Garth Snow covets Tanev.

I am very high on Strome, and I love the idea of getting 1 of Bennett/Draisaitl/Dal Colle guaranteed with a top 5 pick. I want Reinhart the most and highly doubt he slipped to 5 unfortunately.

So say we do that that trade:

5th: Select Dal Colle

6th: Select Nylander

Then say we do a Ryan Kesler Trade for 10th overall and Vatanen/Theodore and + something else.

With the 10th: Select Haydn Fleury

If not available: Take Virtanen or BPA or Trade down

I thin slotting down a couple picks and regaining a 2nd rounder would be wise in this situation unless Fleury, Virtanen or a BPA that is attractive at 10th is available.

Youth influx: Strome, Dal Colle, Nylander, Fleury/Virtanen, Vatanen/Theodore

Lost Youth: Tanev, Shinkaruk, Markstrom, 2nd Pick

Lost Veteren: Kesler

I like the overall outcome, but it has a lot of moving parts and is risky.

Dal Colle Strome Kassian

Nylander Horvat Virtanen

Cassels Gaunce Jensen

With Snow possibly selling the team, maybe budget isn't as important as caliber of players and a cup.

I could see them go for a Edler instead of Tanev, as he does have more value.

Edit: Oops..... Wang selling.... Haha

Snow doesn't own the team, Wang does. Obviously if the owners change though, that could change the team's budget and even the directive Snow has to operate under.

But again, why go for Edler when you have Visnovski, Hickey, Donovan, DeHaan, Strait and their top defensive prospect in Reinhart already on the left hand side?

I actually really like this proposal. Maybe we'd have to add something, but not much. What I like about this is it goes hand-in-hand with a Kesler trade for young defencemen (Pouliot, Theodore, etc)

If the draft goes as you plan (which it could), and we trade Kesler for Etem+Theodore (for example)we'll be stacked

Dal Colle-Strome-Kassian

Etem-Bennett-Jensen

Cassels-Horvat-Gaunce

Theodore-Subban

Cederholm-Corrado

I actually really like this proposal. Maybe we'd have to add something, but not much. What I like about this is it goes hand-in-hand with a Kesler trade for young defencemen (Pouliot, Theodore, etc)

If the draft goes as you plan (which it could), and we trade Kesler for Etem+Theodore (for example)we'll be stacked

Dal Colle-Strome-Kassian

Etem-Bennett-Jensen

Cassels-Horvat-Gaunce

Theodore-Subban

Cederholm-Corrado

Not the best Defensive prospects, pretty bad honestly. Maybe we'll get lucky and young bc d-men come home for cheap like Hammer...

Archived