The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning has placed offer for 1st overall; impressed by local prospect Reinhart

TheRussianRocket.

I know it would be hard to retain the 6th and move up for SR, but it is possible I guess provided Kesler is involved, and is willing to waive his NTc to go to FLA, or BUFF.

To Buffalo:

Kesler, 36th, Schroeder, 2015 2nd

To Van:

2nd overall

Future Canucks:

Shinkaruk Reinhart Kassian

Nylander Horvat Jensen

Gaunce Cassels Fox

Thats a big, skilled, two way line up.

Don't over value the pick too much. We go in to trade talks with the mindset that if we don't get it, we can still draft a good player at 6.

I would offer 6 and a veteran. 6th and Hansen may be a little light, but not as much as most people think. Some people would offer there first born for a chance to draft him.

They did a study where they offered people $100 garaunteed or a 50/50 chance at $200. Both prizes are ethnically worth the same so you could pick either but it go interesting when the offer started being a 50/50 chance at $180, then $160... And people were still picking the vanishing return offered by the hope of more. Be careful.

The trade proposals on this site can be astounding: "Let's nut our team for a chance at drafting Alexandre Daige". Or my personal favorites: " Trade everybody we don't currently like, warranted or not, for one or two names we like (often with similar abilities) and usually with the reasoning "Just to get rid of them.'"

Every player and pick represents an asset. Asset valuation can be very tough. Don't over value the 'sexy name' or put too much stock on somebody being 'a local boy'

I am not saying I wouldn't be happy with Reinhardt, I'd be ecstatic. Really, I put full faith and trust in Benning until he proves otherwise.

I know it would be hard to retain the 6th and move up for SR, but it is possible I guess provided Kesler is involved, and is willing to waive his NTc to go to FLA, or BUFF.

To Buffalo:

Kesler, 36th, Schroeder, 2015 2nd

To Van:

2nd overall

Future Canucks:

Shinkaruk Reinhart Kassian

Nylander Horvat Jensen

Gaunce Cassels Fox

Thats a big, skilled, two way line up.

Holy crap! What an overpayment! With luck, Reinhart may be as impactful as Kesler, or he could be nowhere near. All that for ONE first round pick!?! You and I need to start playing poker, I want to buy a new boat.

Kesler is worth at least 3 young assets with future. Like the Anaheim "10,24 and a prospect rumors" and you want to give him AND other asserts for ONE spin of the draft roulette wheel?

Wow. Simply stunning.

Holy crap! What an overpayment! With luck, Reinhart may be as impactful as Kesler, or he could be nowhere near. All that for ONE first round pick!?! You and I need to start playing poker, I want to buy a new boat.

Kesler is worth at least 3 young assets with future. Like the Anaheim "10,24 and a prospect rumors" and you want to give him AND other asserts for ONE spin of the draft roulette wheel?

Wow. Simply stunning.

Kesler and the 6th this year would be an overpayment.

too much.

don't trade any player under 25. either garrison, 6th, 36th or nothing.

This is close. I'd be loathe to give up the 36th as well, maybe if a late 20's to early 30's defenseman with term was coming back to take up the hole left by Garrison. I think the 6th and Garrison should sufficient.

Wow. Simply stunning.

Yeah you're right. That is an over payment, but it going to take an overpayment to get that pick. I don't think we are the only team looking to move up in the draft. Reinhart is going to be a franchise player IMO. Kesler could get us some lower picks, but SR is more of a sure thing. I don't think Schroeder will really amount to anything other than a 3 liner at this point, and who knows what the 36th pick will be? It has more of a chance of busting than 2nd overall. Kesler is also 13 years older than SR, and injury prone right now. There is a big difference between 2nd overall and 6th in this draft. The top 4 players are like a tier above the next 7-8. I love Kesler as a player, and maybe he can get us something better, but I know it would have to be an over payment to get the 2nd. Just my opinion.

Ps: I dont play poker that way either lol.

Yeah you're right. That is an over payment, but it going to take an overpayment to get that pick. I don't think we are the only team looking to move up in the draft. Reinhart is going to be a franchise player IMO. Kesler could get us some lower picks, but SR is more of a sure thing. I don't think Schroeder will really amount to anything other than a 3 liner at this point, and who knows what the 36th pick will be? It has more of a chance of busting than 2nd overall. Kesler is also 13 years older than SR, and injury prone right now. There is a big difference between 2nd overall and 6th in this draft. The top 4 players are like a tier above the next 7-8. I love Kesler as a player, and maybe he can get us something better, but I know it would have to be an over payment to get the 2nd. Just my opinion.

Ps: I dont play poker that way either lol.

I get where you are coming from, but it feels like trading $10 for the chance at $10... You draft this high hoping to at least pull out a Kesler. I would trade Kesler in a deal for the 2nd, but it would have to be the 2nd plus other assets. Reinhart is still a risk, no matter how you look at it. We know what we have with Kesler.

This is close. I'd be loathe to give up the 36th as well, maybe if a late 20's to early 30's defenseman with term was coming back to take up the hole left by Garrison. I think the 6th and Garrison should sufficient.

I honestly don't think our 6th, and Garrison would get it done. That seems like a fair deal, but teams will be looking for other teams to overpay in order to move up to 2nd overall.

Edit: Perfect example was Schneider for 9th overall last year. We had a possible franchise goalie there, and we traded for the unknown/unproven (albiet a good prospect).

I'll tell you how you get it done.

--------------Trade 1----------------

To Buff: Edler, Higgins/Burrows, Schroeder, 3rd round pick

• Alex Edler - veteran defensman with all star potential if put in the right situation. Christian Ehrhoff wouldn't mind playing with Edler again.
  • Chris Higgins/Alex Burrows - Another veteran forward to complement their young core. I'd prefer if they took higgins, but Burrows is still doable.
  • Jordan Schroeder - 22 year old equal to a b level prospect to still add a young role player piece to their core. He's got a some games under his belt so he could make an impact if given the chance. (looks like the fans don't want him here anyway)
  • 3rd Round - Just an added bonus to seal it.

To Van: 2nd overall

• 2nd overall - Sam Reinhart.

--------------Trade 2----------------

To Win: Markstrom, Hansen, 6th overall

• Jacob Markstrom - Winnipeg gets a 24 year old young goaltender who could potentially be their number 1 this season. The Winnipeg fans want Pavalec gone, and their not too hot on Montoya either. Yeah they could go to free agency, but it would be wise to take a 24 year old with that potential either way.
  • Jannik Hansen - speedy third line veteran that can up his game if playing right. Last year he was one of our best players, just not so much this year. Still, on a fairly cheap contract, not bad
  • 6th overall - Winnipeg drafts nik ehlers. Speedy skilled player who could make a major impact. Also from Denmark, can be mentored by Jannik Hansen. Also, Ehlers _____ Hansen, does look like a good speedy wing combo.

To Van: Morrissey, 9th overall

• Josh Morrissey - Young puck moving defensman that Vancouver fans want so bad. Also, really good friends with Hunter Shinkaruk so they could feed off each other.
  • 9th overall - Draft Virtanen.

--------------End Result----------------

Canucks lose: Edler, Higgins/Burrows, Schroeder, Hansen, Markstrom

Canucks gain: Reinhart, Virtanen, Morrissey. (Most importantly, while keeping Kesler like Benning wants.)

Minor tweaks and I could see these happening.

too much.

don't trade any player under 25. either garrison, 6th, 36th or nothing.

Garrison is not waiving to go back to Florida. He could have just re-signed but chose to test FA and settled on Vancouver probably because it's close to home. Played minor in the lower mainland and junior in Nanaimo. Why would he waive and be several time zones away from his family and roots, when he just got here and signed a multi year deal?

we don't have the pieces. this years 6th and horvat would be a start but even then i doubt i would happen. kes and or spare parts won't get this deal it has to be substantial to move up that much.

I agree. I would rather keep our 6th and Bo and trade Kes and our 36th + a lesser prospect to get SR. If that would even work to get the 2nd overall.

Archived